Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zoomer wrote on 2021-01-09, 20:17:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-08, 01:30:

Linpack.

Sure, let's also run abacus on it 😁

Use prime95 with small FFT preset.

How long should I run Prime 95 with small FFT preset? Been going almost an hour so far. Hottest core at 44c tops.

Edit: It went through all the tests and started going back through them again. I stopped it after I got back to 16K passed for the second time.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2021-01-09, 22:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 502 of 506, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-01-09, 21:49:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-08, 01:30:

Linpack.

How long should I run Prime 95 with small FFT preset? Been going almost an hour so far. Hottest core at 44c tops.

Well, it depends. There's a holy war going on interwebs right now on what to use, how to test, how long to test etc. I believe you should simply get your priorities straight. If you suspect your system is unstable you should run torture test the amount of time it would make your heart at peace. Some go for an hour. Others for 24. For some a weekend is not enough. There are also tests for different parts of system so it's probably a good idea to run them all to be sure. Yet in my experience a system unstable enough to not even let you finish your favorite retro game will show itself on a 24h Prime95 blend test, be it CPU, RAM or some other component.

Yet I don't think going to extremes is always the way. E.g. right now I'm rocking a 10900k build which could easily climb to 90c and more under AVX2 tests. That's the territory of whiny coolers and throttling. So by the idea of some I shall probably dial back thermal velocity aggressiveness and prevent my CPU from going over 5.3 GHZ in short burst because GOD FORBID I'll get into 30 min AVX2 scenario and burn my house down. Yeah, sure, no thanks. Sanity should be the principle.

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 503 of 506, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zoomer wrote on 2021-01-09, 22:40:
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-01-09, 21:49:

Well, it depends. There's a holy war going on interwebs right now on what to use, how to test, how long to test etc. I believe you should simply get your priorities straight. If you suspect your system is unstable you should run torture test the amount of time it would make your heart at peace. Some go for an hour. Others for 24. For some a weekend is not enough. There are also tests for different parts of system so it's probably a good idea to run them all to be sure. Yet in my experience a system unstable enough to not even let you finish your favorite retro game will show itself on a 24h Prime95 blend test, be it CPU, RAM or some other component.

Yet I don't think going to extremes is always the way. E.g. right now I'm rocking a 10900k build which could easily climb to 90c and more under AVX2 tests. That's the territory of whiny coolers and throttling. So by the idea of some I shall probably dial back thermal velocity aggressiveness and prevent my CPU from going over 5.3 GHZ in short burst because GOD FORBID I'll get into 30 min AVX2 scenario and burn my house down. Yeah, sure, no thanks. Sanity should be the principle.

I was just testing because I was told this platform was inherently instable with 4 cores. I just don't see that, in fact since I got the correct RAM for this motherboard its been supremely stable. I just wanted to see this instability for myself which I have never seen in practical use.

Reply 505 of 506, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matthew Li wrote on 2021-01-09, 22:58:

Hi Guys, i've got a question, i recently bought a GTX 980Ti, but cannot boot my 4coredual-sata2 with it.

does any one know any possible reasons ? i can boot it with HD3870 PCIE though.

This was already answered, this board will not support PCIe 3.0.

Reply 506 of 506, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was just testing because I was told this platform was inherently instable with 4 cores

It doesn't mean that 100% of all cases will result in instability. But it's not "pretty stable all-round mobo" with Quad core CPU in general, especially if it's something top-tier. Heavy voltage drop and 4-phase VRM without any cooling on cheap mosfets aren't exactly helping here. And capacitors on these boards also not high grade and they already 10+ years. Heck, we already have one example of VRM just straight up dying with Q6600 on the previous page.

this board will not support PCIe 3.0.

I do wonder if dual GPU card issue could be fixed somehow. My GTX590 is itching.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me