VOGONS

Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In this thread someone was wondering if GeForce 730 would work, i had it around to i gave it the try, i was quite surprised that it really working.. I could be vendor specific, but its Geforce 750TI and Geforce 9xx is same architecture so really big change that for example Geforce 970,980 would work with this board too Update: They will not Geforce 730 is still using as only one Maxwell card, PCI-E 2.0..

Tested card is Gigabyte - GV-730-2GI cheap DDR3 version, unoficial bios.

I also tested PCI Sata / IDE controller VIA VT6421A - but bios not see it, nor device on it.

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-08-21, 11:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 241 of 689, by ChAoS Overlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote:
ChAoS Overlord wrote:

I've just finished building my Windows 98 and was hoping this board would function with the onboard SATA300 controller. Are you certain there's no way to make it work correctly? I was planning on installing the machine this week...

Got a motherboard with the same southbridge. Under Windows 98SE the drivers installed when the controller were configured to RAID mode in the BIOS. Unfortunately I got a cap at 150MB/s with an OCZ Vertex 30GB but it's working so far.

So what actually is the motherboard doing in the background if you choose RAID instead of non-RAID in the SATA operation mode?

Reply 242 of 689, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

In this thread someone was wondering if GeForce 730 would work, i had it around to i gave it the try, i was quite surprised that it really working.. I could be vendor specific, but its Geforce 750TI and Geforce 9xx is same architecture so really big change that for example Geforce 970,980 would work with this board too.

Again, that card is working, because it's PCIe 2.0 card. Even just slightly faster GT 740 wouldn't work, because it's PCIe 3.0 card.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 243 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:

Again, that card is working, because it's PCIe 2.0 card. Even just slightly faster GT 740 wouldn't work, because it's PCIe 3.0 card.

How you recognize that card is PCIe 2 or 3? I thought that is architecture dependent and 7xx and 9xx have some architecture both are Maxwell.

Update: Ok i found it - is in Nvidia specs (Bus Support):
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus … /specifications
Its stupid that gave backward compatibility only to Geforce 730..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 244 of 689, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

How you recognize that card is PCIe 2 or 3? I thought that is architecture dependent and 7xx and 9xx have some architecture both are Maxwell.

Always consult that with appropriate Wiki site, for AMD/ATI and Nvidia cards.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 245 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sil 3512 PCI Sata controller is working, is even able to load Grub2, what is not working with same controller on i865 - Conroe865PE, so +1 for this MB.
I also discovered that UMBPCI is not working will this board, with i865 its working so -1 for this MB.

Reply 246 of 689, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChAoS Overlord wrote:

So what actually is the motherboard doing in the background if you choose RAID instead of non-RAID in the SATA operation mode?

At least the controller get a different PCI ID and Windows 98 detects is as a SCSI controller instead of an IDE one. I don't know how much of the RAID stuff the CPU does but even with a single SSD I get 25% CPU load when maxing out at ~148MB/s.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 247 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made someone to work DOS 6.22 / 7.1 EMS on this board? I able to make to work JEMM + QEMM on Dos 7.1, realmode (Himem only is working fine), but when i trying to run EMM386 i alway get freeze at its line, i thought that i was Sata HDD problem, but its the same with IDE (PATA) driver, i tried lots of Bios settings (im using unofficial Bios), no cd rom, only 1 HDD, Nvidia 6600 AGP GPU (tried multiple of them).. and tried it without any additional card. I dunno, maybe its some VIA problem?

Reply 248 of 689, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The summer is more or less over here, and I've found some time to get my build around the 4CoreDual-SATA2 board up and running. Looks like most of the problems during the build had to do with badly seated RAM sticks, those sockets aren't the best quality ones. After fixing those RAM sticks with a couple of O-rings, the computer seems to be rock stable.

The relevant parts of the setup:

Mobo - 4CoreDual-SATA2
CPU - Core2duo E6600 (Conroe, 65nm)
RAM - 2x1 GB Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 (limited to 512 MB in W98 through himemx)(and yes, I know those sticks run far slower in this board 😀)
GFX XP - Geforce 9600GT
GFX W98 - Geforce FX 5900

Done some initial benchmarking in 3DMark2000 (W98SE, DX7) and 3DMark06 (WXP, DX9), see attached screenshots. Ran the default benchmarks without changing any settings. I know these boards aren't any top performers, but had still expected better scores. What do you guys with more experience of these boards think? Are my scores normal, or do I have more work to do? 😀

Attachments

• 3dmark2000.jpg
    Filename
    3dmark2000.jpg
    File size
    197.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 3dmark06.jpg
    Filename
    3dmark06.jpg
    File size
    113.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 249 of 689, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.

I just replaced the E7500 with a Q6700 in my 4CoreDual Sata 2.0 board.

Unfortunately I am unable to boot to any drive, it just stays on a blinking cursor on the top left corner. I can get into Bios and it recognises the CPU no issues.

Any ideas? Anything obvious I should set in Bios?

I have tried resetting Bios to no avail.

Running the modded 4gb BIOS.

Reply 250 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it was booting before double check cables and bios boot order, if HDD first, or it CD / floppy / USB stick arent connected. HDD should be listed in HDD priority boot submenu - i dont remember exact name of this submenu but its in Boot category. I had similar problem i wasnt able to boot from IDE Seagate 80 GB, i recreated MBR multipletimes, i was sure that it has to boot.. but nothing, i tried multiple OSes MBR codes, SATA to IDE convertor etc.. I had to change HDD for 160GB Seagate IDE which is working.
Hint was that hdd wasnt presented in HDD order sub menu or in F11 quick boot menu, working ones are listed within.

Reply 251 of 689, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

If it was booting before double check cables and bios boot order, if HDD first, or it CD / floppy / USB stick arent connected. HDD should be listed in HDD priority boot submenu - i dont remember exact name of this submenu but its in Boot category. I had similar problem i wasnt able to boot from IDE Seagate 80 GB, i recreated MBR multipletimes, i was sure that it has to boot.. but nothing, i tried multiple OSes MBR codes, SATA to IDE convertor etc.. I had to change HDD for 160GB Seagate IDE which is working.
Hint was that hdd wasnt presented in HDD order sub menu or in F11 quick boot menu, working ones are listed within.

All the drives are listed correctly.

I have tried all drives as the only one connected. Still the same blinking cursor.

Reply 252 of 689, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Asomodai wrote:
Hello all. […]
Show full quote

Hello all.

I just replaced the E7500 with a Q6700 in my 4CoreDual Sata 2.0 board.

Unfortunately I am unable to boot to any drive, it just stays on a blinking cursor on the top left corner. I can get into Bios and it recognises the CPU no issues.

Any ideas? Anything obvious I should set in Bios?

I have tried resetting Bios to no avail.

Running the modded 4gb BIOS.

I have just put the E7500 back in and the machines boots up with no issues. Pretty sure either something is wrong with the CPU, or something needs to be set in BIOS. Ideas anyone?

Reply 253 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which bios you are using?

It could be bend CPU pin, or some issues with CPU / Memory clock or voltage, try to underclock it. I compatibility list are 1 numbers group listed - Q6700(G0), i dunno if there are others.. Only some Q6700 could be compatible.

Reply 254 of 689, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

Which bios you are using?

It could be bend CPU pin, or some issues with CPU / Memory clock or voltage, try to underclock it. I compatibility list are 1 numbers group listed - Q6700(G0), i dunno if there are others.. Only some Q6700 could be compatible.

The latest Hacked Bios.

I have just turned on overclock mode CPU, PCIE sync and downclocked CPU FREQ from 266 to 260 and it boots! Is this typical? Running at 2.61ghz

Reply 257 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If so, then that is the reason you have those booting problems.
This boards don't like Quads, maybe beta BIOS changes default FSB for them to 266MHz (which is too much) ?
(I used unlocked quads on mine [QX6850/QX9770], so I set what is stable on FSB [257-262MHz range] and go from there, depending on RAM settings)

157143230295.png

Reply 258 of 689, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[My Experience With 775Dual VSTA and Core4Dual.]

Well I always had Core i7 So I'm excited to put together a Core 2 Duo computer and I have to add it to my personal computer collection "In the Limit" (Computers with the maximum memory processor etc), so I started by obviously researching and I found this wonderful Asrock 775DualVSTA buy it Along with an X6800 was a delight, at first I started with a GT 8800 Ultra, and I marveled at the performance, and then added HD3850 and I was even more excited because both could work not at the same time, but if 1 for 1.

The drawback of this combination is that both are mini microwave oven so it ended with a very hot PC, then reviewing here and there I realized that this board supported Windows 98 and not only this but the 4CoreDual, so I decided that I would build a Core 2 Quad Extreme PC With support for Old and Modern Software, so then I bought the 4CoreDual, along with GTX 580 and QX9775, and a series of AGP graphics cards to achieve my goal, now if I will comment what I want to leave here for posterity.

When I bought the plate I just had to put it in the cabinet and take out the 775DUALVSTA.
The drawback: The hard drive with all operating systems, Win xp 7 8 does not boot / screenshot or blue, so I had to reinstall everything from 0.
So reinstall everything from 0, then start testing with several AGP cards (Last year was probably the year that more AGP cards had i buy to satisfy this curiosity with former Win 98 ME operating systems especially).

So I acquired the following cards, ATI 9250, ATI X700, ATI 9800, Geforce 6200, Geforce 6800 (256) and Geforce 6800LE (128).

Graphics to my GTX 580 GigaByte WindForce my cabinet is very cool and silent, also I could play all the games of today, DOOM 2016, Crash NSane, DMC4SE, etc etc, so I have not had problems with modern games, and neither with OS, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 so I started messing with windows 98 and millenium.

For my bad luck I stamp hard of all that I buy, ATI X700, ATI 9800, Geforce 6200 and 6800 (256) have grabes problems which I will explain:

Ati x700: For more than installing drivers in win 98 and ME for more than move all the options in the BIOS, Windows 98 and I simply give you error, no matter what version of catalyst uses. 😵

ATI 9800: Recognize drivers in Win 98 and ME but HEAT TOO MUCH!, The GTX 580 below prevents the 9800 from getting enough air to circulate air, that causes maybe too hot, easily reaches 80 90 degrees to the point where it freezes and even shuts down, so I had to discard it (since the 9800 does not have an internal temperature sensor, use a temperature meter that comes in my REOBUS Digital, and also burn my finger) 😵

GeForce 6200: Recognize but the performance is very bad, also in some games if I play more than 5 minutes the game crashes and suddenly I can not put certain resolutions. 😢

GeForce 6800 (256): With the drivers 81:98 it does not work in win 98 and millenium, only with the 82:16 modified to above, but it is necessary to FORCE it with device manager to select and install, even though it is NOT STABLE in 3d games , there are many falls, it is almost unplayable and in windows 98 tends to generate falls without playing, in full desktop and programs like winamp. 😵

Geforce 6800 (128): It is more stable, does not heat much(57 - 60C idle is stable for me) although it is very noisy, in windows 98 it is too unstable in 3d games, you can only play in 640 x 480 very old 3d games, and mostly 2d. 😵

With windows millenium the thing changes, it is more surprisingly stable, although if you play in full screen the game will crash after 4 or 5 minutes, but if you play in Windowed, you can play more than 1 hour in 1280 x 1024 below, if you upload more will block the major resolutions including the 1280 x 1024 for games, but what I like is that it is more stable. 😲

ATI 9250: Med performance but it is totally stable (800 x 600 and 1024 x 768), in windows 98 you can play anything in 3d at any resolution (Although obviously you will not get many FPS) the same in windows millenium, it does not heat much, it does not make noise. 😊

In total I had to get rid of wind 98 and I stayed with windows millenium, This is my current configuration:
Motherboard: 4CoreDual-SATA2 Rev 1
CPU: QX9770.
RAM: 4GB DDR2 (2 + 2 usable 3.12).
AGP Graphic Card: Geforce 6800LE (128MB).
PCIE Graphic Card: GTX 580 1.5GB.
Sound: USB Audio(For Win 98 and me, well only me actually)
PSU Corsair 750 80 Bronze.
Hard disk Sata: 4TB (2 + 2)
Hard disk IDE: 480GB (160 + 320)
SO Installed: Windows Millennium, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04, Android x86 4.4-r5
Other Periferics: DWA 510 PCI Wifi, 1000GB100MB10MB PCI TX GiB.

Extra things to add with 4CoreDual, If you are going to modify the bios with the MOD BIOS that allows you to unlock QX9775 yorkfields cpus, then DO NOT trust the AUTO FSB, with the bios modified the AUTO FSB brand 266 in my case at the beginning I thought that my badge I had died because it did not go beyond the first screen of the bios, but after a lot I realized that the problem was the AUTO FSB that the bios puts at the beginning, so I had to go down and go up little by little now I have it stable in 226(Thanks Agent_x007 for your help 😊 ) with the clock in x15, if you replace the original bios to the mod, remember to modify the FSB to MANUAL if in case you have problems.

Another thing Extra: In windows 98 and millenium, if you plan to use the Geforce 6800LE 128MB, and in case you go to use it for games, so you do not have problems, remove the acceleration of video and audio, so you will get a lot of stability if you suffer from instability with this graphic card.

I love this motherboard, with all its limitations, a motherboard that allows you to use windows millenium or 98 with genuine graphics + 3d, and a card like the GTX 580 that allows you to play modern games mostly at more than 60fps in high ultra settings is something wonderful, just try to put a hand on it and be very careful, I hope this works for some users, I say goodbye good day or night. 😊

Last edited by zeratulbla on 2018-09-13, 15:53. Edited 1 time in total.

My Sons: 4CoreDual-VSTA+QX9770+4GB+GTX580.1,5GB+GeForce6800LE+4.480TB//AsusP6TSE+I7.990X+4GB+GTX780.3GB+4.640TB//GA-6VTXD+P3.1,40x2(Dual)+2GB+HD4670.1GB+GeForce6200.256MB+640GB//P4i65G+P4.3,40+2GB+GeForce6800+1.280TB.

Reply 259 of 689, by ChAoS Overlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm afraid you installed too much memory for windows 98. As I understand it, Windows 98 is only suited for setups with maximum 512 MB of RAM. There are patches and solutions to change this, I don't know if you tried any of those?