Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 141 of 689, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
psychz wrote:

I also have a 4CoreDual-VSTA board to test with a Q6600... 😈

And there we go. Just upgraded the 775Dual-VSTA/C2D E6300 @ 1.8GHz/2GB DDR2/Win10 build mentioned in page 2 to a 4CoreDual-SATA2/Q6600/2GB/Win7. So far, so good. The Q6600 runs at 2.30GHz due to chipset limitation (FSB ~1024MHz instead of 1066), still it's much better than the E6300.

Attachments

• via.jpg
    Filename
    via.jpg
    File size
    90.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 145 of 689, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

excellent post ! Thank you so much for this, I was thinking about getting it as well but I have a question ! Can I use it with the Matrox M3D installed and booting it with dual booting systems like Win98SE and Win XP ? I know Win 98 has that ram limit can I somehow bypass it ? thanks a lot I love this forum and you guys!

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 146 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:

^that's official
I used QX6850 and QX9770 - both worked (with 1025/1066MHz max. FSB).

On 775Dual-VSTA, C2E X6800 is the only CPU that makes sense (at least to me 😉).

Did you managed to reach 3 GHZ with QX9770 ?

Reply 147 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exxocet wrote:

Did you managed to reach 3 GHZ with QX9770 ?

You skipped few pages of this thread, didn't you...

QX9770 + VID mod, max. Frequency (CPUID valid) : LINK 😎

"Normal settings" (w/VID mod) : LINK
Yes, it wasn't stable without VID mod on stock settings (FYI : VID mod is a strip of alutape between two pins that are next to each other, in my case VID4 pin and VSS/Ground).

157143230295.png

Reply 148 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoa! Frankly I've read those posts, and not just once, but I was interested in the graphical card compatibility/performance and I didn't payed attention to the CPU results. 4 Ghz on 4Core Dual SATA2 and 1.28V low voltage! Yeah, it's a dual core, but still, Impressive! Bravo!

I can't get anyhing more than 13x multiplier on my QX6700 (that goes for ~3.5 Ghz), requires >1.5V Vcc and delivers lots of heat.

Reply 149 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exxocet wrote:

Whoa! Frankly I've read those posts, and not just once, but I was interested in the graphical card compatibility/performance and I didn't payed attention to the CPU results. 4 Ghz on 4Core Dual SATA2 and 1.28V low voltage! Yeah, it's a dual core, but still, Impressive! Bravo!

I can't get anyhing more than 13x multiplier on my QX6700 (that goes for ~3.5 Ghz), requires >1.5V Vcc and delivers lots of heat.

Thanks 😀

My QX6700 (B3), can do 3,6GHz with 1,45V at Idle (and ~1,42V on Load), but that's with P5K64 WS board 😉 It's VID = 1,337V, btw and I used TRUE w/Delta FAN to cool it 😀
It was still cooler than Pentium Extreme Edition 965 @ 4,8GHz 🤣

I woudn't recommend OC'ing QX6700 with this boards, they simply don't have the VRM to keep it fed at higher clocks (I'm assuming, you got proper cooler on it and, ie. not "BOX" one).
If you have few extra $, going for G0 revision (ie. QX6800/QX6850) is better option, because they are simply worth it (less heat with better Frequency/Voltage scaling).
Still, nothing can top 45nm unlocked beasts like QX9650/QX9770 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 150 of 689, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This mainboard is EXCELLENT !! I highly recommend it, its so versatile I cant believe it and it boots into WIn98SE with 1 GB DDR2 with no problems where my Asus CUBX struggled. The only real problem I have is the missing ISA port otherwise that would make this mainboard the ultimate testing ground for operating systems, I am failry impressed as how well and stable it runs. Somone recommend a strong CPU for it 😁 Right now I have the Intel Pentium D950 at 3,40 GHz and it runs games with ease on WinXP was thinking about adding a dual core or even quad, I know thats overkill for Win98SE as it probably only sees one core anyway but what would be a decent choice of CPU to have inside this board, cheers!

PC Setup: Mainboard ASUS CUBX | CPU Intel Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.4 GHz | Memory 780 MB SDRam | Soundcard Creative SB Audigy SB0160 | GPUs Nvidia FX5900 Ulta Matrox M3D PCI | HDD 2x40 GB WD/Seagate | OS Win98SE and WinXPSP1 in dual boot

Reply 151 of 689, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it will eventually boot into Win98SE, but I had all kind of strange issues with the 775Dual VSTA and Win98. I would NOT recommend this board for Win98SE usage. You will get it up and running, but it will not be stable.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 152 of 689, by AlucarD86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

okay vetz I have been testing Win98 on that board and I do run into some weird hangups and the Matrox M3D kinda went nuts on me but thats maybe because I am also using a Nvidia 5900 Ultra and those two cards arent best friends. I dunno whats causing the hangups maybe its the 1 GB DDRam2 stick ? should I downgrade to 512 DDr1 ?? on the other note WinXP runs like a dream and I installed Win XP SP1 and Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance finally runs 100% like it should at max settings and with everything looking great but WIn 98SE kinda gives me those hangups.

Reply 153 of 689, by LastShade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys 😀
First off, thanks everyone for all the hints and actual help that you are providing via this thread. I've been reading it in the past week to resuscitate a very old system based on an Asrock 775Dual VSTA. This is a "project" I'm doing for fun, so it's not a matter of life and death. I upgraded the BIOS to L3.19a from whichever ancient version it was running before, changed the processor to a E5200 (previously unsupported and not working with the old BIOS), upgraded RAM to 4GB and installed a PCIE Radeon HD5770 video card. All was well and good (thanks to your advice!), but then I wanted to install Windows 10 x64, instead of the old Windows 7 x86 that I had on previously to this big upgrade. So I unplugged the old hard drive, plugged in a new* one, and tried to do just that.
The problem here is that I get error 0xc00000225 while trying to install Windows 10 x64. I'm using a 32GB USB flash drive installation media, created with Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
What happens:
1) I turn on the system.
2) I press F11 during post to enter the only-this-time-once boot menu.
3) I select my USB flash drive installation media with Windows 10. The system boots and I hear the POST's beep.
4) I choose "64 bit installation" from the menu.
5) Windows 10 logo appears. No dots. Case fans speed up a little.
6) Error 0xc00000225 and reboot when i'm lucky, just reboot when I'm not.

System conditions:
- CPU is not overclocked in any way. Same as RAM and GPU. CMOS ratio actually set to 8, which is the "old" ratio prior to BIOS upgrade. Speedstep disabled, No-Ex MP disabled, EHS disabled.
- Only one hard drive is attacched to the mobo. I'm using the "SATA 2" connector. Sata operation mode set to "non-RAID", IDE controlled enabled.
- I read somewhere that Error 0xc00000225 is tied to APIC being disabled. Is it possibile to enable it on our mobo? How so?

*Hard Drive has been ripped out of an old laptop. It works perfectly, but it's not exactly new.

What I tried:
- Going back to 2GB of RAM just for the purpose of this installation. Instead of displaying the error and/or rebooting, it hangs for ever at the logo screen.
- Switching to the old video card, an Nvidia 7300 (still PCIE). No changes.
- After reading about the troubles afflicting PCIE, disabled those two PCIE options in BIOS. No changes. So I switched again to an older still AGP video card. Left all those AGP options in BIOS set to "auto" or default values. Still no changes.
- Playing around with memory settings. Switched memory frequency and Flexibility Option to every possible combination. No changes.
- Changing installation media. Tried different USB flash drives, different .ISOs, different Windows 10 versions. Still the same, identical behaviour. Switched from USB drive to good old DVD: .ISO downloaded through Microsoft Media Creation Tool (x64 version only, to save space and time) and subsequently gutted of useless stuff with NTLite. Guess what? Same behaviour.
- Tried an old Windows 8 USB drive installation media that was found lurking about in an old box. Different menu, same logo, same story.
- Detached any and all drives from the system. No old HDD, no "new" HDD, no DVD burner, no CD burner. No dice.
- Playing around with close to every BIOS option. Still cannot figure out what is causing this.
- Tried connecting my old Windows 7 x86 Hard Drive to the system, just for the lols. Windows won't boot: stuck before showing the logo that hums along with "Starting Windows". If I try Safe Mode, it reboots afer loading drivers. I guess this is actually normal considering the processor and video card have been changed.

So now you know of my pain.
If i knew how to enable APIC, HPET and AHCI, I would... because I sense the solution lies somwhere along those option. But I can't seem to find them in this mobo.
Every bit of advice different from "have you tried Rufus?" and "why don't you just buy a new mobo?" is welcome.

UPDATE: I think I got it! The problem is memory related. If I leave only 1 stick of RAM, the installation goes through the dreaded point, albeit after a ~15 minutes wait, and is VERY SLOW in the subsequent steps too. I don't dare rebooting now, though... I'll just wait till the next install-related-reboot to try and play around more with memory frequency and timings.

Reply 154 of 689, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm honestly surprised anyone would recommend this board. Asrock used to make diablotek grade junk back when this board was made and it's no exception. Other than the novelty of it having an agp slot it's truly a terrible board , with a terrible chipset and terrible reliability. and thats coming from someone who used it for almost 4 years as my main rigs board. Almost any board that support agp and slower cpus , or pci-e and faster cpu's is much better than this thing.

Reply 155 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
emosun wrote:

I'm honestly surprised anyone would recommend this board. Asrock used to make diablotek grade junk back when this board was made and it's no exception. Other than the novelty of it having an agp slot it's truly a terrible board , with a terrible chipset and terrible reliability. and thats coming from someone who used it for almost 4 years as my main rigs board. Almost any board that support agp and slower cpus , or pci-e and faster cpu's is much better than this thing.

Yes, very informative, just like your identical rant posts from 2016.

Reply 156 of 689, by LastShade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: all fixed. It was and intollerant memory bank. Turns out: even if some memory banks assure they will work at 667MHz, they're dirty liars and stop working at 446MHz and they need to be swapped out in favor of honest ones.

Reply 157 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exxocet wrote:
emosun wrote:

Yes, very informative, just like your identical rant posts from 2016.

The board I've been using has been extremely reliable ever since I got the memory timings ironed out and has been working seamlessly since 2008. That's why I've been upgrading the GPU, memory, hard drive and OS rather than get a new board. It's the most stable board (knock on wood) I've ever used.

Reply 158 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlucarD86 wrote:

okay vetz I have been testing Win98 on that board and I do run into some weird hangups and the Matrox M3D kinda went nuts on me but thats maybe because I am also using a Nvidia 5900 Ultra and those two cards arent best friends. I dunno whats causing the hangups maybe its the 1 GB DDRam2 stick ? should I downgrade to 512 DDr1 ?? on the other note WinXP runs like a dream and I installed Win XP SP1 and Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance finally runs 100% like it should at max settings and with everything looking great but WIn 98SE kinda gives me those hangups.

That's a pretty exotic graphics card, first I've ever heard of someone using a Matrox card on one of these boards!

You should try 2 GB Crucial memory.

Reply 159 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LastShade wrote:

Update: all fixed. It was and intollerant memory bank. Turns out: even if some memory banks assure they will work at 667MHz, they're dirty liars and stop working at 446MHz and they need to be swapped out in favor of honest ones.

I actually set the memory in BIOS to 533 because that is the most stable setting.