VOGONS

Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 697, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would like to buy a Nvidia 6600 GT (128 MB) pci-express to work with Windows 10

GeForce 6xxx/7xxx and Radeon X1xxx drivers are not optimal for anything after NT5.x based OS, i.e. performance in games is a mess.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 362 of 697, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

GeForce 6xxx/7xxx and Radeon X1xxx drivers are not optimal for anything after NT5.x based OS, i.e. performance in games is a mess.

So, is it better an ATI x700 or a geforce 5200 pci-express?

mothergoose729 wrote:

Has anyone got SATA drivers , USB 2.0, and/or gigabit ethernet working on the 777Dual VSTA for windows 98 SE?

The NIC is fast ethernet (100 Mb/s)not gigabit. Now I do not use SATA and USB 2.0 but I'll do.

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 364 of 697, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

I'm sorry, I am actually interested in the 4CoreDual VSTA. The 775Dual VSTA has drivers for 98, but the 4CoreDual VSTA on ASRock's website is 2000 or later.

775Dual-VSTA is not officially supported. 775Dual-880Pro is. I took some drivers from 775Dual-880Pro driver page.

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 365 of 697, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrgreen wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

I'm sorry, I am actually interested in the 4CoreDual VSTA. The 775Dual VSTA has drivers for 98, but the 4CoreDual VSTA on ASRock's website is 2000 or later.

775Dual-VSTA is not officially supported. 775Dual-880Pro is. I took some drivers from 775Dual-880Pro driver page.

Yes, that's right. How well did they work?

Reply 367 of 697, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

775Dual VSTA = 4CoreDual VSTA

Ok thanks. They technically list a different south bridge and north bridge chip, but it's good to know that the drivers are the same.

Reply 368 of 697, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They technically list a different south bridge and north bridge chip

They don't list a different chipset and as I've already mentioned it here - even BIOS chips between them are swappable. They are 100%* identical and only 4CoreDual VSTA SATA2 is not compatible, because a different south bridge is used. VIA 4-in-1 driver pack should be identical for all 3 though.

*4CoreDual VSTA has a different PLL chip, which should concern only SetFSB utility users.

P.S.
Russian FAQ about these boards:
https://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152180

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-01-08, 20:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 369 of 697, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
They don't list a different chipset and as I've already mentioned it here - even BIOS chips between them are swappable. They are […]
Show full quote

They technically list a different south bridge and north bridge chip

They don't list a different chipset and as I've already mentioned it here - even BIOS chips between them are swappable. They are 100%* identical and only 4CoreDual VSTA SATA2 is not compatible, because different south bridge is used. VIA 4-in-1 driver pack should be identical for all 3 though.

*4CoreDual VSTA has a different PLL chip, which should be a concern only with SetFSB utility.

P.S.
Russian FAQ about this boards:
https://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152180

Can the SATA ports on the 4CoreDual VSTA appear to windows 98 as PATA like they can on the intel 865PE chipset? Or are you limited to the IDE channels if you want DMA?

Reply 370 of 697, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

Can the SATA ports on the 4CoreDual VSTA appear to to windows 98 as IDE like they can on the intel 865PE chipset?

No, there isn't any option in BIOS to use SATA in IDE compatibility mode. That's why I'm using IDE HDD and optical drive for Windows 98.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 371 of 697, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can the SATA ports on the 4CoreDual VSTA appear to to windows 98 as IDE like they can on the intel 865PE chipset?

VT8237A has IDE emulation mode, so default Win98 driver probably should work. In theory. Never tried it myself.

No, there isn't any option in BIOS to use SATA in IDE compatibility mode

Actually that option does exist and for example you can install Windows XP without SATA driver (which is a clear indication of IDE emulation).

Reply 372 of 697, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

VT8237A has IDE emulation mode, so default Win98 driver probably should work. In theory. Never tried it myself.

This may be true, I was looking quite hard (and unsuccessfully) for this option on VT8237S, but not on VT8237A (since by that time I already had IDE HDD and DVD-ROM), so I can't confirm that.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

No, there isn't any option in BIOS to use SATA in IDE compatibility mode

Actually that option does exist and for example you can install Windows XP without SATA driver (which is a clear indication of IDE emulation).

Well, while this is true on one side, on the other, I was unable to boot Win 98 from SATA DVD-ROM or install it to SATA HDD.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 373 of 697, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On 775Dual VSTA/Core4Dual VSTA (not SATA2) non-RAID SATA mode equals IDE emulation.

Reply 374 of 697, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

On 775Dual VSTA/Core4Dual VSTA (not SATA2) non-RAID SATA mode equals IDE emulation.

If true, that would mean theoretically 300mb/s, which is twice as fast as I thought possible on windows 98.

I have an 4CoreDual VSTA but I have had terrible luck with it, so I shelved it. I had an issue where my E5800 and E6550K both have their multiplier locked at 6X with no way to change it, and I also couldn't get windows 98 to install no matter what I did.

At one point I was able to track down a custom bios, but I couldn't find any instructions on how to flash the board. Would someone be willing to link or upload the recommended bios and give me some instructions on how to do it? I would be interested in trying again.

I see a lot of promise with this. It would be great to be able to have a PCIE, AGP, and PCI graphics cards, provided I can switch between all three in the bios. I have a PCI voodoo 3, an AGP FX and a PCIE FX card, and I could think of a couple Radeon cards I might like to own to mess around with truForm.

Reply 375 of 697, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that would mean theoretically 300mb/s

No, that would mean theoretical 133mb/s.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2019-08-07, 20:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 377 of 697, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

would someone be willing to link or upload the recommended bios

https://soggi.org/motherboards/asrock/4CoreDual-VSTA.htm
2.39a beta BIOS + flash tools recommendation.

Reply 378 of 697, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

would someone be willing to link or upload the recommended bios

https://soggi.org/motherboards/asrock/4CoreDual-VSTA.htm
2.39a beta BIOS + flash tools recommendation.

That worked! Thank you! It also cut down on my POST time A LOT. It was taking at least 60 seconds to start booting anything before. Now its more like 15 seconds. Huge improvement! And my CPU is running at the correct clock speed and I can change the multiplier. So far so good. If I can get windows 98 on this than I am off to the races.

One more question... has anybody tried a QX9650 in this yet 😁. I realize that the fastest supported fsb is 1066mhz, but even still a yorkfield with an unlocked multiplier would be faster than the kentsfield at the same bus speed.

Reply 379 of 697, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

One more question... has anybody tried a QX9650 in this yet 😁. I realize that the fastest supported fsb is 1066mhz, but even still a yorkfield with an unlocked multiplier would be faster than the kentsfield at the same bus speed.

With unlocked chips, you can basically ignore its default FSB. Just set it to 1066, and then change multiplier accordingly.