VOGONS

Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I gather, 7800 GSs are way too underclocked on GPU.
There should be room for at least 50MHz on GPU core (a lot more if it's 90nm).

Also, legit PDC VID mod looks like this :

Pentium Dual-Core VID points (CPU).jpg
Filename
Pentium Dual-Core VID points (CPU).jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You have to link or isolate contact pads, starting from stock VID, to reach values from VID table.

Pentium Dual-Core Pin to VID Table.png
Filename
Pentium Dual-Core Pin to VID Table.png
File size
106.64 KiB
Views
File license

PS. With G70, you could try to unlock pixel/vertex shaders using RivaTuner.
I think in G71 they are hard locked tho...
Here's GPU-z screen of 7900 GS AGP I own :

7900 GS GPU-z.jpg
Filename
7900 GS GPU-z.jpg
File size
88.98 KiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 201 of 689, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a 4CoreDual-SATA2 board the other day, trying to build a dual booting W98/XP machine around it. Want to use a PCIe graphics card in XP, and an AGP one in W98. I don't need both in either OS, just want them to coexist in the machine.

Tried with a GF 9600GT in the PCIe slot, and a GF FX5900 in the AGP slot. The system boots just fine with both cards with PCI or AGP selected as primary graphics adapter in the BIOS setup, but only the FX5900 outputs anything. In Windows, there's no sign of the 9600GT in the device manager. When setting primary graphics adapter to PCIe, the system freezes even before POSTing. Both cards works perfectly in single configuration.

There seems to be some conflicting information on the web whether a dual graphics card setup works or not. Here's a thread where a poster apparently has gotten a reply from the ASRock support stating that it works, but other places, for instance this thread, indicates that it won't.

The mobo is flashed with the hacked 2.20a BIOS from pctreiber.de supporting up to 4GB of RAM. As of now, only 1GB is installed though, to avoid instability/compatibility problems.

My question is simple: has anyone managed to get a dual AGP/PCIe graphics card setup working in any of these boards, or even better, specifically in the 4CoreDual-SATA2, and in that case how?

Edit: Some progress. Booted to the rescue environment in the Debian installer, and lspci at least shows both cards:

Attachments

• lspci.jpg
    Filename
    lspci.jpg
    File size
    341.29 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 202 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) When using two GPUs on Windows XP, you have to Disable the one you don't need (through device manager or by disabling slot/bridge itself).
2) NV drivers are so dumb that they try to install themselves on all NV devices they find, even id it means unsupported GPUs.
Disable GPUs after driver installation.
3) When everything will start to fall apart, use Safe Mode and uninstall all NV drivers (DDU/Device manager)

Personally, I always use AGP as primary GPU, and in Win XP I switch monitor inputs (I don't change graphics adapters in BIOS).
When you disable AGP card in Windows XP, it will use PCI-e one by default.
Only drawback is no POST/loading screen on PCI-e GPU.

157143230295.png

Reply 203 of 689, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
1) When using two GPUs on Windows XP, you have to Disable the one you don't need (through device manager or by disabling slot/br […]
Show full quote

1) When using two GPUs on Windows XP, you have to Disable the one you don't need (through device manager or by disabling slot/bridge itself).
2) NV drivers are so dumb that they try to install themselves on all NV devices they find, even id it means unsupported GPUs.
Disable GPUs after driver installation.
3) When everything will start to fall apart, use Safe Mode and uninstall all NV drivers (DDU/Device manager)

Personally, I always use AGP as primary GPU, and in Win XP I switch monitor inputs (I don't change graphics adapters in BIOS).
When you disable AGP card in Windows XP, it will use PCI-e one by default.
Only drawback is no POST/loading screen on PCI-e GPU.

Ah, thanks, that's some useful info 😀 Will try installing XP, disabling the AGP card, reboot, and install drivers for the PCIe card then. Can live without the POST and loading screens. Guess W98 will sort itself 😀

Reply 204 of 689, by forteller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,
I am using 4CoreDual-VSTA with Radeon X850XT video card and under Windows 98 I am unable to get use of fast write. When I tried to open any 3D application, it goes back to desktop without an error (even dxdiag, which works for DirectDraw, but not for Direct3D). Disabling Fast Write fixes everything, but I am getting slightly lower performance. It only matters for 3DMarks, as any w98 game has enough performance, but it would be nice to have have right scores.

I have unofficial service pack for w98 and via 5.24 installed. It also doesn't matter which directx version I use. Any ideas?

2017: 7800X@4,6G / X299 / 32GB / GTX 1080 / SM961 256GB+2x256GB RAID0 / G710+ / G402 / U2713H
2003: P4 2,8C@3,4G / IS7 / 2GB / AIW9700Pro / 160GB+2x40GB RAID0 / SK-8000 / IMO 1.1A / G200
2000: K6-3+@600M / 591P / 384MB / Voodoo3+1 / GUS+AWE32 / 40GB

Reply 205 of 689, by Tmp2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first off, some really useful info for people running dual AGP / PCIe GPUs on these boards. I've found a monitor that will take both inputs simultaneously. It doesn't even switch between them, it's utterly seamless. You just plug 1 card in via DVI, the other via VGA. These are both classed as the same input on this monitor. There is actually another DVI input too if you want to use that, but you will have to switch inputs to view it. The end result is a multi boot system, that requires zero changes or button pressing to switch between AGP and PCI-E. You even get the AGP POST, followed instantly by the PCI-E OS boot screen. No OSD or other annoyances. It's also a 19" 1280x1024, so it's perfect for old games. And the colour rendering and contrast are amazing compared to other 4:3 monitors I've tried. and it's BEIGE!!!

The monitor is an NEC MultiSync 1880 -> https://www.zdnet.com/product/nec-multisync-lcd/

You're welcome 😁

OK, now for some problems.....

I have a 775dual-VSTA and a 4coredual-sata2. I wanted to boot every version of Windows, and for the most part, I got it working. When I first go the boards I did some tests with various OSes, GPUs and HDDs and here's what I ended up with:

AGP - nVidia TNT2 M64 - Works with Win3.1 😉
PCI-E - nVidia 9600 GSO - (I just happened to have the card and a lot of the other GPUs I tried put the blower on 100% unless initiated by the OS, this one is silent)
IDE HDD
SATA HDD
SATA SSD

Now I tried both GPUs together, in various versions of windows and they behaved exactly how I wanted. With the one exception being Win7, which will not let me use the PCI-E card, even if I disable the VGA card. The only way is to change BIOS to default to PCI-E. Interestingly though I don't have this problem in Win2K, or XP (or 8 and 10 for that matter). The point is I have had Win98 working on this system. Several times in fact.

I also discovered that I could get Win9x working on the SATA HDD with the VSTA board (BIOS emulating IDE), but not the SATA2 board. It wouldn't boot. It will work on the SATA2 board from an IDE HDD (sort of)

But here's where everything falls apart 🙁 So after going round in a few circles installing different OSes, I got everything working apart from Win95/98/ME. All do the same, so to make everything a lot simpler, let's just go back to basics. Here's my current setup...

vsta and sata2 board both do the same thing, I've got them set up side by side.
Just 1 IDE HDD connected
Just TNT2 AGP connected
512MB RAM
Latest OEM BIOS flashed
Tried 3 different versions of the Via drivers
Just using Win98SE
Disabled everything I can in BIOS. No sound, no lan, no usb, no serial, no parallel

After installing windows then drivers, I get 2 issues in device manager. A resource conflict with ACPI device, and two PCI bus devices. One of which says "Windows could not load the driver because the computer is reporting 2 bus types." It also won't detect the GPU properly and when you manually install the drivers, the system won't boot unless you put it in 640x480x16colour.

What I don't understand is that I've had this system running Win98, with both GPUs in place, all mobo features enabled, sound, graphics, SATA hdds all working fine. I don't know what I'm nissing here, it's driving me insane, please help!!!

Last edited by Tmp2k on 2018-04-05, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 206 of 689, by Tmp2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kaputnik wrote:

My question is simple: has anyone managed to get a dual AGP/PCIe graphics card setup working in any of these boards, or even better, specifically in the 4CoreDual-SATA2, and in that case how?

Yes, I've got several versions of windows working with a TnT2 M64 + 960GSO, all on the same system, some using just one or the other, and some using both. I didn't do anything special, other than sometimes removing one of the cars to get windows to install drivers for the card that I wanted. Then just add the other card back in and disable it in device manager. However as you can see from my last post I've hit a brick wall with Win9x. Hopefully someone can help figure it out!

Reply 207 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tmp2k wrote:
Now I tried both GPUs together, in various versions of windows and they behaved exactly how I wanted. With the one exception be […]
Show full quote

Now I tried both GPUs together, in various versions of windows and they behaved exactly how I wanted. With the one exception being Win7, which will not let me use the PCI-E card, even if I disable the VGA card. The only way is to change BIOS to default to PCI-E. Interestingly though I don't have this problem in Win2K, or XP (or 8 and 10 for that matter). The point is I have had Win98 working on this system. Several times in fact.

I also discovered that I could get Win9x working on the SATA HDD with the VSTA board (BIOS emulating IDE), but not the SATA2 board. It wouldn't boot. It will work on the SATA2 board from an IDE HDD (sort of)

But here's where everything falls apart 🙁 So after going round in a few circles installing different OSes, I got everything working apart from Win95/98/ME. All do the same, so to make everything a lot simpler, let's just go back to basics. Here's my current setup...

vsta and sata2 board both do the same thing, I've got them set up side by side.
Disabled everything I can in BIOS. No sound, no lan, no usb, no serial, no parallel

After installing windows then drivers, I get 2 issues in device manager. A resource conflict with ACPI device, and two PCI bus devices. One of which says "Windows could not load the driver because the computer is reporting 2 bus types." It also won't detect the GPU properly and when you manually install the drivers, the system won't boot unless you put it in 640x480x16colour.

What I don't understand is that I've had this system running Win98, with both GPUs in place, all mobo features enabled, sound, graphics, SATA hdds all working fine. I don't know what I'm nissing here, it's driving me insane, please help!!!

1) Try using SATA in RAID mode (you don't have to create array to use your hard drive in this mode).
There should be a way to check Device ID of the thing that has problems.
2) ACPI status : LINK ?
3) Win 7 is dumb that way (I had the same issue with my Hex booting build). I simply gave up and use primary card (slower one) in it. However, in my case I had 7800 GTX and not TNT2 M64 😀
4) Resource conflict means IRQs may be set badly, and manual IRQ settings mat be needed.
Check what each troubled device does, and after thinking about it, disable one in Device Menager.
Disabled device after reboot, should release blocked resources and make the other not working device run as intended.
HOWEVER, if your GPU is in conflict with for example disk controller... you are between rock and a hard place.

157143230295.png

Reply 208 of 689, by Tmp2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried sata in RAID mode, it made no difference. There were no more or less conflicting devices in Windows 98.

Ive disabled everything I can in bios, but not taken to disabling things in device manager yet.

But what I don't get, is I didn't have to do either of these things the first time I installed win98 and tested it with both gpus.

I've now got a fresh install of Win98SE, with everything disabled I can. Can anyone tell me what drivers they have used and if they had any device issues after install?

Reply 209 of 689, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I corroborate the information that the HD6990 DOES NOT WORK with the https://www.asrock.com/mb/via/4coredual-sata2/ 4Coredual Sata 2., agent_x007 its possible share your specific schema in paint for force 1066 with QX9770 please? I tried but I have not got it yet with vid etc.

My Sons: 4CoreDual-VSTA+QX9770+4GB+GTX580.1,5GB+GeForce6800LE+4.480TB//AsusP6TSE+I7.990X+4GB+GTX780.3GB+4.640TB//GA-6VTXD+P3.1,40x2(Dual)+2GB+HD4670.1GB+GeForce6200.256MB+640GB//P4i65G+P4.3,40+2GB+GeForce6800+1.280TB.

Reply 210 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you updated BIOS to beta one that has 4GB RAM and Wolfdale support ?
I used it for my QX9770 testing.

PS. There is no point in BSEL moding QX9770.
It doesn't support anything less than 1333MHz on BSEL pins (officially) :

BSEL table.png
Filename
BSEL table.png
File size
17.65 KiB
Views
File license

Source : LINK

157143230295.png

Reply 211 of 689, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it was updated to the last bios, I thought I had achieved 1066 through vid / bsel, I understand my mistake, thank you.

My Sons: 4CoreDual-VSTA+QX9770+4GB+GTX580.1,5GB+GeForce6800LE+4.480TB//AsusP6TSE+I7.990X+4GB+GTX780.3GB+4.640TB//GA-6VTXD+P3.1,40x2(Dual)+2GB+HD4670.1GB+GeForce6200.256MB+640GB//P4i65G+P4.3,40+2GB+GeForce6800+1.280TB.

Reply 212 of 689, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 4CoreDual-VSTA and 4CoreDual-SATA2. The VSTA has an 880 ultra and the SATA2 has an 880 pro. Does anyone know the difference between the pro and ultra? Do these boards always come with the same chipset (880 ultra for the VSTA and 880 pro for the SATA2) or did Asrock use them interchangeably?

One thing I noticed is that these boards are not very stable with AGP cards. I get crashes, BSODs and lock ups. Tried a Radeon 8500, Radeon x800pro, Matrox Parhelia AGP (both the older AGP 4x and newer AGP 8x), Matrox G400max, Matrox G450, nvidia Geforce2pro and nvidia TNT2 M64. The x800 wouldn't even load XP with the reg cat drivers installed. It would always lock up at the load screen. It worked fine with the omega drivers, I think because they disable fast writes. At first I wasn't sure if it was the board or video card. I tried different CPUs and different ram (DDR1 and DDR2) and I tried tons of bios settings. I did try a few PCIe cards and the board seems fine with them. I tried a Radeon x1950xt, Radeon 3870, Radeon 4870, Radeon 6870 and a Geforce 9800GTX. I didn't get a single BSOD, lock up or crash with these cards.

Another thing is that the VSTA board doesn't run my e7600 at 3.06GHz, only 1.6. That is with the newest Asrock bios. The SATA2 board runs this CPU at full speed.

Reply 213 of 689, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What operating system are you using?

According to my experience testing AGP with this board, I have not had problems with ATI 9250 (the one I already have), Windows XP, Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, I do NOT recommend that you install drivers, keep with those that Windows automatically installs, only if the graphic card is old.

If the graphics card is relatively modern with modern drivers such as HD3850 or HD 4670, install drivers normally.

Personally, he installed and tested the 9250, and 9800 and he managed to play for hours with Windows 98 and Millenium, although he gave up the 9800 because he gets very hot.

As for Nvidia, the only noticed instability with windows 98 and millenium but with more modern operating systems, XP up had no problems, it is stable for hours without hanging.

My Config:

CPU: QX9770 (FSB 800)
Mother: 4Coredual Sata2.
Ram: 4GB DDR2 667 (Running at 533) (2x2) (Usable 3.25)
PCIE: GTX 580 1.5GB
AGP: Asus Radeon 9250(8x).
PS: 1000 Watts Bronze.

SO:
Windows 98, Millenium, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1.

Reply 215 of 689, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the case of an attempt to increase the number of 200 the plate stops booting and doing maladies to return it to 200 stable ones, i try to do what you say now wait me..

Reply 216 of 689, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only ran XP SP2 on these. The only updates I installed were DX9 and dotnet for some video drivers. I installed the Via 4in1 drivers from Asrock. The stability did vary between cards. The Radeon 8500 and Geforce2 pro weren't too bad. The Matrox cards were the worst, I got tons of BSODs and lock ups. It was totally random too, I ran Serious sam SE to stress test it (just running the demos in a loop) and the longest stable run was over an hour while the shortest was just 8min. It's not a big deal though. I mainly was just using the board for benchmarking.

Reply 217 of 689, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@agent_x007
256 dont boot.
250 boot but very issues.
245 boot but hard disk dont load.
240 boot with hard disk but win 8 restarts automatically and win 7 freeze in boot.
236 boot all normal but with drivers restarts randomize.
232 boot all normal with drivers normalized
i proceed test with resident evil 5 gold edition benchmark.
232 benchmark unstable.
230 - 216 benchmark unstable, stuttering constant.
215 benchmark stable.
i proceed test with re6 and dmc4se benchmark.
215 is stable with 3 benchmarks.

@cxm717

Try not to use official drivers in old nvidia cards in XP, keep the windows drivers, I recommend using systems 7, 8, 8.1 up, for older cards because the system drivers are better.
the graphic performance on old cards improves a little with windows 7 8 and 8.1 drivers.

Attachments

• DSC_0153.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0153.JPG
    File size
    524.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_0152.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0152.JPG
    File size
    552.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_0151 - copia.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0151 - copia.JPG
    File size
    618.27 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 218 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK.
1) Enable Flexibility Option in BIOS or use the lowest possible DRAM Frequency and try again.
2) Did you "fixed" CPU Multiplier on one value, or is it grayed out (C1E/SpeedStep = Disabled) ?
I would try using "10x" multiplier to see if PC will be stable at that point.
This board has A LOT of Vcore drop while CPU is under load and I did used Vcore VID mod to combat this.

157143230295.png

Reply 219 of 689, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please its posible you make a shcema in paint for apply "used Vcore VID mod" please?.