Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

zeratulbla : Fe random notes:
- heat problems, one ugly solution could be PCI/E / AGP extender / ribbon cables to place card physically far from them-self, but its usually ugly.. you need to them somewhere at MB low level, or under MB, if you have big case and even slots under MB. Other solution would be special fans with mounting kit to put them at the top of 2 or more videocards from side.. other solution would be fan on some flexible arm - so that some modern pc youtubers are using them.
- video cards and Windows 98 - Nvidia Geforce 4-7 have problem with full screen Dos mod - its simply end with black screen, details here:
Dos games on Geforce 2/4/5/6/7 and LCD in Win98SE, black screen in fullscreen mode..Nvidia drivers 5x.yz + problem // So there is there are not good for Windows 98.
Im using radeon X300,X600,X800,X850 series of cards they are PCI-E/AGP and at least PCI-E versions are working fine for my in WIndows 98 on some board, i want to get AGP too but is not cheap i would need some additional better cooling solution. I dunno if X700 is using some driver of not, it could be VIA chipset problem.. I tested them only with modern intel chipsets like X58,Z97,X99 etc.. and with AMD970 (AM3).
- this machine would probally run fine with MS-DOS 6.22 or 7.1 (but you have to use JEMM, JEMMEX or QEMM instead of EMM386).
- Win98 RAM - i had to use some patches because otherwise he wouldnt be able to boot, with HIMMEX is safe value 11xx MB something, for more you need rloew paid Patches, other solution is burnmem.sys from Russia, it would probably work also up to 11xx MB.

Update: GeForce 6800 Ultra vs Radeon X800XT benchmark with Core 2 Duo system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBSmufPe7D0

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 261 of 688, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Chaos Overlord, yes win 98 have limitation of memory, you need edit "System.ini" location in folder "Windows", add down of [386enh] maxphyspage=30000 (768mb) For win 98 and for Win ME maxphyspage=40000 (1gb), you need add this after first restart of the system or windows crashes or restart automatically.

@ruthan, yes maybe later, for this moment i happy with actual configuration.

-All graphirc card mentionated in my last post, is graphic card AGP, pci express x800 no tested, but I'm glad to know that it worked for you in pci express 😀

-Yes this machine works fine DOS Games only win98 or me.

-I do not need patches, I solve it limiting the ram with maxphyspage by editing system.ini.

Other Things for Win98/ME: If you have Geforce 6800LE or other, and experiment much crash, i recomend check your pci slots, and deactivate in system manager, the slot conflict, unforunelly i need deactivate my DWA 510, this PCI Wifi cause conflicts with games (i dont know why).

Other things for Win98/ME: if you install Win 98 or me in IDE hard disk in this motherboard,, the windows dont recognize or crashes after installation(with update etc) if you have FAT32 Partitions in SATA Hard disk, so... how to fix this?, easy you need install Win98/ME in SATA Hard disk, so windows recognize Fat32 partitions in other IDE hard disk if you have installed, or partitions in the hard disk SATA have installed 98/ME, BUT maybe have problems with OTHER Sata hisk fat32 Partitons, let me explain in simple Schema.

Hard Disks With Win98/me in IDE Installed.
- Win98/ME - IDE 1 installed.
- FAT32 - IDE 2 = Dont Recognize or Crash.
- FAT32- SATA 1 = Dont Recognize or Crash.
- FAT32- SATA 2 = Dont Recognize or Crash.

- Win98/ME - in SATA1 Installed.
- FAT32 - IDE 1 = Recognize perfect.
- FAT32 - IDE 2 = Recognize perfect.
- FAT32 in Other SATA 1 = Recognize Perfect (only from the third partition fat32).
- FAT32 - SATA 2 = Regonize but dont properly

If you install Win98/me in SATA partition, you have great results, but you need sacrificate one insignifcant second partition of SATAhave installed Win9x for this.

One interesant for made this is, if you installed WIN98/ME in Sata Partition of 1TB, you now have acces to 48BIT(is what I think), yes win me read prefectly more of 160gb, of one partition of sata but unfortunelly in other IDE Hard disk, only read 28BIT (120GB or 116GB for down)

Remenber, i test this only for 4CoreDual rev1, i dont know this metod work for other motherboards but teorically this work for 775DualVSTA
The Bad of this metod = In installation of Win98 or Me, you have crashes(if normally) and need restart machine (after two of three crashes in screen of detection of hardware the installation runs perfectly).

You should have problems only with the second unused partition of fat32, in case you have problems with the rest of the partitions that you create, try changing the ownership of the fat32 partition from 0xb to 0xc, with this should be solved.

I recomend install first Drivers of chipset of motherboard and other peripherals have installed in your motherboard, and the last install graphic card drivers(This is the last time when you have installed drivers + updates + your programs, in the end install graphic card drivers) and i recomend disable of system manager, other peripherals of windows dont have drivers (Example if you have inserted in PCI one Sound Card what dont have drivers for Win9x, only for XP or 7, i recomend disable this in system manager.)

PD: i recomend install VIA_Hyperion_4in1_v4.56 all except AGP, unmark AGP in installation of chipset for WIN98/ME

Attachments

• DSC_0558.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0558.JPG
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • cap 1.png
    Filename
    cap 1.png
    File size
    272.08 KiB
    Views
    File license

My Sons: 4CoreDual-VSTA+QX9770+4GB+GTX580.1,5GB+GeForce6800LE+4.480TB//AsusP6TSE+I7.990X+4GB+GTX780.3GB+4.640TB//GA-6VTXD+P3.1,40x2(Dual)+2GB+HD4670.1GB+GeForce6200.256MB+640GB//P4i65G+P4.3,40+2GB+GeForce6800+1.280TB.

Reply 262 of 688, by DiscoZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone 😀 i use 775Dual- Vsta mobo , not the best overclock motherboard , but there are possibilities...can be workable 4 core Xeon and dual core Xeon cpu's , i tested and used it xeon E5410 run @ 1,87GHz and L5420 run @ 2GHz , 4 core 1333FSB , now i use 4 core xeon L5408 Stable system @ 2,15GHz.

The graphics card limited x4 PCI-E , but i tested many cards, now i use SAPPHIRE HD 4870 1GB TOXIC Edition , and same good card GTX 480 i used it...

should be used 3.19 bios and add the 771 xeon microcodes

Attachments

• 775 Dual Vsta 1.png
    Filename
    775 Dual Vsta 1.png
    File size
    152.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Solid system
    File license
Last edited by DiscoZ on 2018-09-25, 02:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 263 of 688, by DiscoZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:
In this thread someone was wondering if GeForce 730 would work, i had it around to i gave it the try, i was quite surprised that […]
Show full quote

In this thread someone was wondering if GeForce 730 would work, i had it around to i gave it the try, i was quite surprised that it really working.. I could be vendor specific, but its Geforce 750TI and Geforce 9xx is same architecture so really big change that for example Geforce 970,980 would work with this board too Update: They will not Geforce 730 is still using as only one Maxwell card, PCI-E 2.0..

Tested card is Gigabyte - GV-730-2GI cheap DDR3 version, unoficial bios.

I also tested PCI Sata / IDE controller VIA VT6421A - but bios not see it, nor device on it.

Hi ruthan 😀 so GeForce 730 very good card , my question because there is OC version ,GIGABYTE GeForce GT 730 1GB GDDR5 64bit possible work?

check the link : https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N730D5OC-1GI#ov

Reply 264 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its still PCI-E gen. 2 it will work too.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 265 of 688, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to throw it out there :
Samsung XP-941 AHCI M.2 drive (PCI-e 2.0 x2), will cause this boards to not POST 🙁
I would be very careful about any kind of backwards compatibility with post 2011 stuff because of this.

157143230295.png

Reply 266 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

Just to throw it out there :
Samsung XP-941 AHCI M.2 drive (PCI-e 2.0 x2), will cause this boards to not POST 🙁
I would be very careful about any kind of backwards compatibility with post 2011 stuff because of this.

I could be wrong, but isnt that PCI-E slot Video cards only from design, is some PCI-E NIC, sound cards, or PCI-E controller working with it?

Reply 267 of 688, by DiscoZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote:

Its still PCI-E gen. 2 it will work too.

I think so work , and same good option 2GB OC version : https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/N730K-2GD3O … 1/Specification

I will tested next month

Reply 268 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few weeks ago, i recommended someone that flexible fan arms for cooling problem fixing, i finally find out who is their manufactor and where is possible to buy them, i dunno maybe some Chinese company can make them cheaply or you can use make them yourself, you want to save some work here they are:
http://www.dimastechusa.com/dimastech-flexfan120-black-v20

Reply 269 of 688, by McM4r

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

very nice thread, i'm from Peru and i'm a fanboy of vintage hardware of the AGP era, currently i have the 3850, 4650 and 4670 with the AM2NF3-VSTA, that gpus are very capable for run a games of 4-5 years ago with very decent settings, until 2017 i was able to play online with the phenom II x4 955 one of my favorite games, starcraft 2 with very solid FPS even on high battles 4v4 (very intensive cpu bound) with drops of 23 fps with a lot of effects and 120 fps in early game (Hybrid settings mostly medium and High in 2 options, HD3850 gave more FPS compared to 4670) sadly blizzard drops the support of windows xp, and i cannot longer play online due the lack of support of my board, so i decided buy an 4coredual vsta available on ebay just a couple of days ago, and buy some qx9650 next week and in my research of knowledge about the bios config and all stuff of this board (this rare boards are very tricky am2nf3-vsta is a real proof of that, because runs games better with 512mb aperture size xd) i found this page with a high valuable info thank u all! i will need some recommendations of course, just have to wait to receive the item and i will be ready to do some tests.

PS sorry for my bad english, is my best, greetings haha

Reply 270 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not quite sure if is qx9650 supported even with unofficial bios, is any update list for cpu support with unofficial bios? I 2.39 release notes is mention only E7600/E6300, but some other cpus could be supported by older releases.

Reply 271 of 688, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It'll work (agent_x007 use QX9770 on it), you'll just have to OC it, since chipset supports just 1066 FSB, and QX6850 is by default on 1333 FSB.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 272 of 688, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear @McM4r Im from peru lima, i understand perfectly your curiosity, i have 4Core + QX9770 so dont worry I can offer you help if you want to get recommendations in the middle of this forum or privately, check anything you want to do, it's good to know that there is someone from my country interested in vintage software just like me. 😀

PD: With QX9650 you dont have any problem with latest bios mod for this mother.

My Sons: 4CoreDual-VSTA+QX9770+4GB+GTX580.1,5GB+GeForce6800LE+4.480TB//AsusP6TSE+I7.990X+4GB+GTX780.3GB+4.640TB//GA-6VTXD+P3.1,40x2(Dual)+2GB+HD4670.1GB+GeForce6200.256MB+640GB//P4i65G+P4.3,40+2GB+GeForce6800+1.280TB.

Reply 273 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So i assume that Core 2 Quad Q9505S and Core 2 Quad Q9550S would work too?

Im searching for something quite these are 65W and Quad cores at 2.8 GHz

Reply 274 of 688, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ruthan That's right you should not have problems with the processor you mentioned, but with the FSB limitation that oscillates between 800 - 1052, the limitation that the processors with the locked multiplier produces low performance, the GHZ will have on a lower frequency due to the FSB , I recommend only placing Extreme processors for this board in this way you can raise the multiplier and solve the lack of performance of the FSB with higher GHZ, in my case this works well.

Reply 276 of 688, by zeratulbla

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear @anget_x007 thats right Yes, but what I'm talking about is the FSB, being a blocked multiplier, just one pruning to increase the performance a bit by the FSB, and by forcing it to place it in 1052 the stock GHZ can not be moved for blocked multiplier

Reply 278 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Apollonios wrote:

my asrock 4coredual vsta saves no time and date despite new baterie someone ne idea?

If bios settings are retesting too, it could be probably clear bios jumper on wrong pins.