Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 688, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nofear wrote:

It's possible decrease fsb until 266 mhz and increase cpu ratio ?

Yeas, as I said previously.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 341 of 688, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nofear wrote:

Agent_x007 can you help me. I have see your different best configuration and I'm thinking mount QX9650.
It's possible decrease fsb until 266 mhz and increase cpu ratio ? The cpu arrived 3.20 mhz with vcore default? I want to leave vcore default. What is the max mhz cpu with vcore default?

Like @Srandista already told you : It's possible.
fnwnEBY.png
Board doesn't have 1333MHz setting (it ends with 1200MHz), so lowering FSB isn't an issue - board itself starts on lower setting for ALL 1333MHz CPUs (200MHz or 266MHz depends on strap it chooses to go with).
Default voltage will probably end at 3,2-3,4GHz, all those Quad capable boards have scary amount of Vdroop under load.

157143230295.png

Reply 342 of 688, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

agent_x007 - I always looked for something like 3Dmark for CPU.. where 1 or 2 numbers can give you info.. how fast cpu is.. best thing i found is Geekbench its for free and you can store results online a browse them.. and compare results. Could you run Geekbench 2 (3/4 are Win7+) on this machine?

I know that Passmark has something like this too and some DB of results, but i never also to learn how to use it and if im not wrong, i has only 30 days trial..

Order good thing is just simple Dos cpu mark from Vogons Patch bench - it is probably only single core and for faster cpus it would be nice to have result in floats, but its still fine:
PATH_BENCH - DOS path tracing CPU benchmark

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 343 of 688, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:

Order good thing is just simple Dos cpu mark from Vogons Patch bench - it is probably only single core and for faster cpus it would be nice to have result in floats, but its still fine:
PATH_BENCH - DOS path tracing CPU benchmark

I wouldn't considered this as a good bench for our machines, since our overkill rigs would place themselves in around 1-3 second category. And in that case it's pretty meaningless and kinda incomparable...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 344 of 688, by nofear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys, It's possible Mod pin on X6800 for increase Vcore 1.4 ?, default is 1.280. I want to arrived 3.6 ghz my cpu. Now with original vcore arrived max 3.20 mhz. I found on internet procedure for mod.

Attachments

Reply 345 of 688, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here you have complete VID table from @agent_x007: Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Reply 346 of 688, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nofear wrote:

Hi Guys, It's possible Mod pin on X6800 for increase Vcore 1.4 ?, default is 1.280. I want to arrived 3.6 ghz my cpu. Now with original vcore arrived max 3.20 mhz. I found on internet procedure for mod.

I don't know about that specific mod but I do know that the heat tends to ramp up quite a bit past 1.32-1.35v which is probably where I would put a hard mod on a CPU I hadn't already stress tested at higher Vcore.

I do know of stickers which swapped pins on Xeon 771 CPUs to make them work in 775 sockets, perhaps something similar is an option for you in this case.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 348 of 688, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srandista wrote:

Here you have complete VID table from @agent_x007: Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Just to point out : That's a PDC table, better check 65nm Conroe electrical whitepaper if it's table is any different, before doing anything.
Also, Core 2 Extreme CPUs should be able to increase their Vcore through ThrottleStop (in Windows), so mod isn't really needed (if it works for you).

157143230295.png

Reply 349 of 688, by nofear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry guys but i have different question:

1) now i have buy QX9650. What is the default vcore intel? 1.25v?
So i can to pass next step for mod vcore pin on cpu.

2) I have think the installation liquid kit liquid Coolmaster pro 280. To get 4.0 ghz what is the optimal vcore?

3) I have on Motherboard 4 GB DDR2 CORSAIR XMS DHX CL4 PC6400, The ram is stable on 533 mhz DUAL CHANNEL, but 667 mhz DUAL CHANNEL NOT IS STABLE BUT CRASH. There are stable 667 mhz dual channel modules?

thanks peter

Reply 350 of 688, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nofear wrote:
Sorry guys but i have different question: […]
Show full quote

Sorry guys but i have different question:

1) now i have buy QX9650. What is the default vcore intel? 1.25v?
So i can to pass next step for mod vcore pin on cpu.

2) I have think the installation liquid kit liquid Coolmaster pro 280. To get 4.0 ghz what is the optimal vcore?

3) I have on Motherboard 4 GB DDR2 CORSAIR XMS DHX CL4 PC6400, The ram is stable on 533 mhz DUAL CHANNEL, but 667 mhz DUAL CHANNEL NOT IS STABLE BUT CRASH. There are stable 667 mhz dual channel modules?

1) VID is specific to your individual chip.
2) optimal vCore is what is stable long term with a sensible margin to allow for fluctuations and less than ideal conditions. If going for high FSB, this is complicated by GTL ref voltages which are very tricky to dial in. OCCT large test might run for 40+ hours before run revealing an instability; if you don't want to thoroughly test then leave a much bigger margin between what you stress test and what your eventually run 24/7.
3)1066Mhz CL5 and 800Mhz CL4 is common, higher specifications are available too.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 351 of 688, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@nofear
You probably won't get 4GHz stable with adjusting just the Vcore.
Why ?
Because VRM is crap on those boards (boards, as in - ALL of them AGP + PCIe LGA 775 ones).
It simply won't give voltage stable enough for 4GHz to be usable.

You can try using VID=1,45V as base for 4GHz OC, however keep in mind that you might kill your CPU because voltage spikes under load will give it too much strain.
Water cooling should keep it alive for a while though (assuming VRM can take it).

To get a stable 667MHz 4GB memory, you have to increase timings and put most of the settings manually. It won't be easy, and even then it might not be 100% stable.

157143230295.png

Reply 353 of 688, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm just getting a rig set up with the 4CoreDual SATA 2 R2.0 and it's really goofy because the BIOS is only showing 3.2gb RAM (it has 2 identical 2gb sticks installed).

Tried several setups with Pentium III hardware, but this thing with a Core 2 Extreme x6800, ~ 4gb DDR2, and the Quadro FX 4000 SDI AGP card I already had I think will be a perfect Windows 98SE/ Windows 2000 Professional dual boot rig.

In the Pentium III setup, I had PCI addon cards for Gbit LAN, SATA2 (PCIE to PCI), USB 2.0, USB 3.0 (PCIE to PCI), and a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS.

With this setup, I can ditch the USB 2.0 card, the SATA 2 card, put the USB 3.0 card in the PCI-E slot, and have both the Sound Blaster for Windows games, and an Aureal Vortex 2 for older Windows 98/DOS games.

Just need to figure out how to get Windows 98 installed when the only RAM I have for this are 2gb sticks...

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 354 of 688, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hack Windows installer 😁
(it creates config and system files - change default values before first boot, and you should be fine - assuming it's hanging on that part).

Also, pull out one 2GB stick before installation.
3,25GB limit : BIOS can't see more due to 32-bit adressing limitation - it can't be bypassed regardless of BIOS or system used, it's hardware limitation.

157143230295.png

Reply 355 of 688, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I own a 775Dual-VSTA. I've got a IDE floppy drive.
SATA DVD Burner is not recognized by Windows 98 SE installer from CD.
How can I get SATA driver for SATA DVD Burner in order to install Windows? I can use floppy.
Thanks

My first PC had Windows 98 os.

Reply 358 of 688, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mrgreen wrote:
Hello, I own a 775Dual-VSTA. I've got a IDE floppy drive. SATA DVD Burner is not recognized by Windows 98 SE installer from CD. […]
Show full quote

Hello,
I own a 775Dual-VSTA. I've got a IDE floppy drive.
SATA DVD Burner is not recognized by Windows 98 SE installer from CD.
How can I get SATA driver for SATA DVD Burner in order to install Windows? I can use floppy.
Thanks

With an IDE optical drive, mission accomplished!

Reply 359 of 688, by mrgreen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to buy a Nvidia 6600 GT (128 MB) pci-express to work with Windows 10 and Win 98, does it worth?
Or better to keep my ATI ALL-IN-WONDER X1900 pci-express for Windows 10 (last releases do not support AGP) and Geforce 2 MX400 AGP for Windows 98?