Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby agent_x007 » 2018-10-30 @ 22:32

ruthan wrote:About L2 cache afaik its not per core its shared between all of them and E5400 has only 2 MB and Xeon 12 MB, its big difference.
Sharing between dies is slower than sharing internally though.
Core 2 Quads have two dies on the same package, while all Core 2 Duos have only one die.
That's why I wrote that Xeon has 2x6MB, and not 1x12MB.
Sure, a Core from one die can access L2 on the other one no problem, BUT FSB must be used for this (since there is no "Infinity Fabric" here). So, performance panalty is great if FSB is slow or if program needs to constantly exchange data between L2 caches.
watson wrote:Hi agent_x007, is there a specific reason why you mentioned the E5400?
I just bought the 4CoreDual-SATA2 (it's rev. 1.02) and I had an E5400 lying around.
I have it running at 3.4 GHz (even though it's not on the R1.0 support list, maybe they forgot to update it?) and it seems to be Prime95 stable.
However, do you think an E5800 would be able to go to 4.0 GHz (250x16)? Or should I perhaps buy a Pentium E6700 or Core 2 Duo E7500?
I mentioned E5400 because it has high enough multi for general stability on higher FSB (1000MHz+).
I own a E5800 and no, you can't go past 3,5-3,7GHz on it without VID Moding it (Vcore drop is simply too great).
Pentium E6x00 = E5x00 in this case, since they are the same chips. However you do exchange mutlipliers (for worse, ie. lower ones) to get higher stock FSB (it's Very bad exchange for this boards).
E7500 is a nice CPU, IF you can max. FSB speed on it. Catch is, how much you gain from it really depends on how good your task scales with more cache (50% in this case).
I'd say go for E7500 if you have a crappy RAM or memory performance is bad in general.
Image
User avatar
agent_x007
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: 2016-1-19 @ 11:06

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby McM4r » 2018-11-12 @ 23:50

agent_x007 wrote:
ruthan wrote:About L2 cache afaik its not per core its shared between all of them and E5400 has only 2 MB and Xeon 12 MB, its big difference.
Sharing between dies is slower than sharing internally though.
Core 2 Quads have two dies on the same package, while all Core 2 Duos have only one die.
That's why I wrote that Xeon has 2x6MB, and not 1x12MB.
Sure, a Core from one die can access L2 on the other one no problem, BUT FSB must be used for this (since there is no "Infinity Fabric" here). So, performance panalty is great if FSB is slow or if program needs to constantly exchange data between L2 caches.
watson wrote:Hi agent_x007, is there a specific reason why you mentioned the E5400?
I just bought the 4CoreDual-SATA2 (it's rev. 1.02) and I had an E5400 lying around.
I have it running at 3.4 GHz (even though it's not on the R1.0 support list, maybe they forgot to update it?) and it seems to be Prime95 stable.
However, do you think an E5800 would be able to go to 4.0 GHz (250x16)? Or should I perhaps buy a Pentium E6700 or Core 2 Duo E7500?
I mentioned E5400 because it has high enough multi for general stability on higher FSB (1000MHz+).
I own a E5800 and no, you can't go past 3,5-3,7GHz on it without VID Moding it (Vcore drop is simply too great).
Pentium E6x00 = E5x00 in this case, since they are the same chips. However you do exchange mutlipliers (for worse, ie. lower ones) to get higher stock FSB (it's Very bad exchange for this boards).
E7500 is a nice CPU, IF you can max. FSB speed on it. Catch is, how much you gain from it really depends on how good your task scales with more cache (50% in this case).
I'd say go for E7500 if you have a crappy RAM or memory performance is bad in general.

Hi guys it's me again i have now the 4coredualvsta with the qx9650 but the system won't boot and only recognizes 2 gb with my old core 2 duo i don't know how to deal with this, would need the modified bios i guess, and all the bios tweaks, if u guys can provide (the bios tweaks) i would be very grateful, thanks, best regards.

@zeratulbla pls leave me ur number in private message!
McM4r
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018-10-02 @ 05:23

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby agent_x007 » 2018-11-13 @ 00:19

Did you updated BIOS to latest beta ?
Related post : LINK
Image
User avatar
agent_x007
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1169
Joined: 2016-1-19 @ 11:06

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby McM4r » 2018-11-14 @ 11:21

agent_x007 wrote:Did you updated BIOS to latest beta ?
Related post : LINK

yep is working mate, but only 3,3 gb usable i have 2x2 gb OCZ platinum 1066 my main problem now is my qx9650 can't reach 3,2 ghz in stock values 200 mhz is a decent OC, i don't need touch voltages and i don't like that, i need some minor tweaks in bios in order to achieve an stable system now i'm having constant reboots, need some heeeeeelp
McM4r
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018-10-02 @ 05:23

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby ruthan » 2018-11-14 @ 19:59

McM4r wrote:yep is working mate, but only 3,3 gb usable i have 2x2 gb OCZ platinum 1066 my main problem now is my qx9650 can't reach 3,2 ghz in stock values 200 mhz is a decent OC, i don't need touch voltages and i don't like that, i need some minor tweaks in bios in order to achieve an stable system now i'm having constant reboots, need some heeeeeelp

If understand correctly what Agent007 wrote few post back, FSB 1333 is not really working with this board and you would have somewhere near to 1066 or 1050 to make system really stable..
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
User avatar
ruthan
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: 2013-3-07 @ 04:01
Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby McM4r » 2018-11-16 @ 16:42

ruthan wrote:
McM4r wrote:yep is working mate, but only 3,3 gb usable i have 2x2 gb OCZ platinum 1066 my main problem now is my qx9650 can't reach 3,2 ghz in stock values 200 mhz is a decent OC, i don't need touch voltages and i don't like that, i need some minor tweaks in bios in order to achieve an stable system now i'm having constant reboots, need some heeeeeelp

If understand correctly what Agent007 wrote few post back, FSB 1333 is not really working with this board and you would have somewhere near to 1066 or 1050 to make system really stable..

now is stable it was some problems with the memory don't like my ocz due low timmings can't work whit the stock 667 CL4 timming now is paired with XMS2 corsair CL5 667 all stock, now i'm trying tweak the bios an i notice a huge increment in fps in games like black ops 1 just touching the agp aperture size, is wierd because the game always use lots of dynamic memory even when the dedicated memory have free space (312 of 512 usage in my HD3850 AGP).
Need some advice in order to tweak my bios i don't know what choose in many options like HPET and others, also there is a way to low the rpm on a 3 pin fan connected to the chassis header the CHA_FAN1, makes a lot of noise :angry:
McM4r
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018-10-02 @ 05:23

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby zeratulbla » 2018-11-20 @ 15:29

Dear McM4r check your inbox, good day.
My Sons: 4CoreDual-VSTA+QX9770+4GB+GTX580.1,5GB+GeForce6800LE+4.480TB//AsusP6TSE+I7.990X+4GB+GTX780.3GB+4.640TB//GA-6VTXD+P3.1,40x2(Dual)+2GB+HD4670.1GB+GeForce6200.256MB+640GB//P4i65G+P4.3,40+2GB+GeForce6800+1.280TB.
User avatar
zeratulbla
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2018-5-11 @ 22:33
Location: Peru Lima

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby sektor2006 » 2019-1-28 @ 20:28

Hello, everyone,

I have an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 motherboard.

Can you please tell me how to update the BIOS to version 2.20A (the modded version) so that I can run an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 CPU and 4 GB DDR2?
I read on the Internet that the official Asrock BIOS flash tool cannot install 2.20A properly and this is the reason why I am asking.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Thank you very much! :)
sektor2006
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2019-1-28 @ 20:23

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby serguey bubka » 2019-1-28 @ 22:02

Hi!

sektor2006 wrote:Hello, everyone,

I have an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 motherboard.

Can you please tell me how to update the BIOS to version 2.20A (the modded version) so that I can run an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 CPU and 4 GB DDR2?
I read on the Internet that the official Asrock BIOS flash tool cannot install 2.20A properly and this is the reason why I am asking.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Thank you very much! :)


I flashed mine yeasterday. I downloaded the beta bios (2.20a) and the official one to get the asrflash.exe.
I booted from a floppy and ran "asrflash <biosfile>.

Greetings.
___________________
Greetings, Sérgio.
:cool:
serguey bubka
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2018-6-03 @ 18:04

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby serguey bubka » 2019-1-28 @ 22:08

I've also discovered that if you boot from agp gpu, you can use the pci-ex slot with "normal" cards. There was a myth that you could only use gpu's on the pci-ex slot, that's not true!
___________________
Greetings, Sérgio.
:cool:
serguey bubka
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2018-6-03 @ 18:04

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby sektor2006 » 2019-1-28 @ 22:24

Thank you so much for your response!

Would you also give me a link to BIOS 2.20A? I thought I had downloaded it but it turned out I have BIOS 2.12A, which adds support for 4 GB DDR2 but not for E7600 CPU?
Is BIOS 2.20A located here and if yes how exactly do I work with .rom files?
sektor2006
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2019-1-28 @ 20:23

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby serguey bubka » 2019-1-29 @ 13:14

Hi @sektor2006.

Yes, it is located at the "soggi" site; here's the complete link:
https://soggi.org/files/motherboards/bios/asrock/4CoreDualSATA2R20_220a_beta.zip
After you download and extract this zip file, you have to download this one:
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/775/4CoreDual-SATA2(2.20).zip
Now, you extract "ASRflash.exe" from this one and put the two at a formatted floppy (with dos boot).
Boot from the floppy and execute the following command:
"A:\asrflash <biosfile>"
The "biosfile" is the name you used to extract the first file (bios beta).

Have fun! :)
___________________
Greetings, Sérgio.
:cool:
serguey bubka
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2018-6-03 @ 18:04

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby sektor2006 » 2019-1-30 @ 19:30

Thank you so much once again! :)
sektor2006
Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2019-1-28 @ 20:23

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby rod » 2019-2-02 @ 06:25

serguey bubka wrote:I've also discovered that if you boot from agp gpu, you can use the pci-ex slot with "normal" cards. There was a myth that you could only use gpu's on the pci-ex slot, that's not true!

Hi! So, is it possible to run network, sound or controller cards on the pcie slot? Which ones have you tested? Thanks in advance.
rod
Newbie
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 2014-8-18 @ 17:40

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby serguey bubka » 2019-2-13 @ 15:57

Hi!

I've tested network cards (ethernet and wireless). I did not test soundcard. I'll test it later.
___________________
Greetings, Sérgio.
:cool:
serguey bubka
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2018-6-03 @ 18:04

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby The Serpent Rider » 2019-2-18 @ 18:46

By the way you can softmod regular Dual VSTA to support quads. Probably not all revisions though, I think some early ones had 3 phase VRM (4 phase on late ones & Core4Dual).
User avatar
The Serpent Rider
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: 2017-3-25 @ 19:07
Location: Stagnant Demesne

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby ruthan » 2019-2-21 @ 10:33

serguey bubka wrote:I've tested network cards (ethernet and wireless). I did not test soundcard. I'll test it later.

Can you test some Sata II /III controller?
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
User avatar
ruthan
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1094
Joined: 2013-3-07 @ 04:01
Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby Zoomer » 2019-2-22 @ 12:21

I accidentally killed my 775dual vsta trying to fit Titan Vanessa L Type (probably over-tightened the mounting pad resulting in a couple of irrecoverably bent socket legs and damaged contact pad on the CPU... yes, I know...). Yet I really love this board for my experiments and right now I'm looking for a replacement. I already ordered Core2 E7600 and now found one 775dual for sale locally (only US 15$), just haven't bought it yet.

Now, I see that there are posts of people successfully running 4coredual SATA2 with Windows 98. Is that correct? Last time I've checked this thread, people were saying that SATA2 controller on that motherboard is incompatible with Windows 98, only 775dual and 4coredual will work in that OS. Have the drivers been found? Could someone please drop a link to them or explain how you got the controller working and boot from it?

Also, do I understand it correctly that there is no point in hunting for 4coredual SATA1 instead 775dual? I.e. 775dual will take in QX6550?

Thanks!
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-6BXE
CPU: Pentium III 1Ghz or VIA C3 800 MHz (Samuel 2)
RAM: 1x256MB PC133
Video: Geforce 4600Ti, Vodoo 5 5500 AGP, Voodoo 3 3500 AGP for DOS Glide
Audio: Soundblaster 16 + Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
OS: Windows 98SE
User avatar
Zoomer
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2007-5-30 @ 16:58

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby The Serpent Rider » 2019-2-24 @ 21:22

Also, do I understand it correctly that there is no point in hunting for 4coredual SATA1 instead 775dual?

Yes, you can reflash it into 4coredual or just install BIOS chip from the dead 4coredual motherboard (SATA2 version is not compatible).
User avatar
The Serpent Rider
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1605
Joined: 2017-3-25 @ 19:07
Location: Stagnant Demesne

Re: Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Postby Zoomer » 2019-2-25 @ 07:44

Thanks for the heads up! I'll research about eligible 775dual revisions. Just received my E7600 and after fiddling a bit with the bent socket pin I managed to boot it up successfully.
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-6BXE
CPU: Pentium III 1Ghz or VIA C3 800 MHz (Samuel 2)
RAM: 1x256MB PC133
Video: Geforce 4600Ti, Vodoo 5 5500 AGP, Voodoo 3 3500 AGP for DOS Glide
Audio: Soundblaster 16 + Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
OS: Windows 98SE
User avatar
Zoomer
Newbie
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 2007-5-30 @ 16:58

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bbkcs, bofh.fromhell and 8 guests