VOGONS

LAPC-I or CM-32L?

Topic actions

First post, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Guys,

Quick question here... I think this is mostly about logistics for me, but curious about all your opinions. I currently have an MT-32 (Old) and an SC-55 MKII for Midi on my Retro PC. I use a SB AWE 32 internally in an ISA slot. I do want to get either an LAPC-I or a CM-32L to round the Midi devices out. Sitting here, I believe I do have another ISA slot on my mboard. Externally speaking, my mixing box only has 3 inputs (plus a mic...useless for me) which currently has the 2 midi boxes and the SB on it, so it's maxed out.

So, the LAPC would seemingly be an easier install, but then I'm thinking I could get a midi selector and put the MT-32 and LAPC on it, run that to the mixer with the SC-55 and SB on there too. I do sometimes like to mix the SC-55 with the MT-32. I've found a few games where the result of balancing them is pretty cool. I'm kind of talking myself into the selector with the CM-32L writing this, but really curious about your thoughts of the pros/cons of these, given my setup and use.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The LAPC-I combines the CM-32L with a proper Roland intelligent mode MPU401 interface. With the right breakout gear you can also connect your MT-32 to it.

However, internal cards will always limit your usage a little bit. For example the CM-32L is easier to use with DOSBox and USB MIDI adapter.

So I would recommend going with the CM-32L as well.

4 channel stereo mixers are available too.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 24, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, Phil. Will the Roland MPU401 interface make any difference against plugging into the back of my AWE32? Quality? How would I connect it all up (MT-32, SC-55 into which card)? Would selecting the Roland and mixing with the SB still be easy if internal? I'm not concerned with DOSBox at all since I'll only be running this on a Retro machine.

If I go the 32L route, is there a 2/1 switcher that you can recommend? I'd like to keep it small, if possible. I do know that there are other mixers, but I purchased a new, quality one that I really don't want to replace if possible.

Reply 3 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it will. With the AWE many games won't work. You can use SoftMPU to get around this but it's not the same.

I used a 4 in 1 AV switcher from eBay, but these days I just plug in whatever I need. I still have my audio mixer though, I use it mix Sound Blaster, MIDI and CD Audio together.

Reply 4 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The LAPC-I is an awesome card if you can get one. As Phil stated it's a CM-32L + MPU-401 combined in one card - it basically solves all your mpu problems in DOS. Even if you can't get the breakout box with the midi connectors , building one with just the 2xOUT ports should be easy. Here is the schematic for the breakout box as shown in the card's Service Manual:

mcb-1_sch_zpscxyyhnps.jpg

Keep in mind the LAPC-I needs -5v on the ISA bus to operate correctly, so get a PSU that provides that current. Personally I find the best solution to use a stereo mixer , highly recommend you get one for your SB/midi devices setup.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 24, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Either an LAPCI with an MCB-1 or a CM32-L and an intelligent MPU. Both combos are hard to find and very expensive. I have the LAPCI with MCB-1 and it works great, I have the MCB connected to a Roland SC88 and a Yamaha SW1000XG. I have 3 port audio switch to switch between the 3 with the output going into the line in of a AWE64 gold.

Reply 7 of 24, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Personally I find the best solution to use a stereo mixer, highly recommend you get one for your SB/midi devices setup.

Thanks, I do have one now and it's great.

Phil - you mentioned mixing in CD audio also...am I missing something? Isn't the SB AWE doing that already?

What exactly am I getting as benefit from the proper MPU from the LAPC?

How would you guys ideally hook all this up, assuming money was not an object? (with reason, but considering I'll willing to spend the money on the LAPC/CM-32L). For context, I have a dedicated retro rig. I run mostly DOS 6.22 but also have a Microdrive running Win 98. Basically, if I shove the microdrive in, it boots Win98, else DOS. I'm mostly into the older adventure games, but definitely dabble with everything from text adventures to some like Open GL/Glide stuff. The machine is a K6 III+ and I play with the caches and clock speed to run everything. (I'm good with the -5V BTW) Currently, I've got a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP in there and the aforementioned ISA SB AWE 64. So, currently, I have a quality, newer MIDI splitter connected to the back of the AWE32 and out to the (MT-32 (old) and SC-55. Then, those outputs go to a quality, newer stereo mixer, along with the AWE32 output. So, I can currently mix both the MT-32 and SC-55 at the same time with the SB output. I do use SoftMPU to help with some of the older games.

I'd like to keep as much of this intact as possible. Just not sure how I'd go about it with the LAPC. With the 32L, I'd just have to add it to the MIDI splitter (it has two more outputs open) and then either get a switcher between it and the MT-32 or just plug/unplug as needed. It's the LAPC I'm more confused about. Also, recalling one of you mentioned getting an intelligent MPU with the CM-32L as well. That's where I'm also getting lost. I don't understand the benefit of using something other than the AWE32 and also not sure how I'd hook all that up. Is it internal? External?

Thanks again, guys. I really appreciate the help and guidance.

Reply 8 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lvader wrote:

Either an LAPCI with an MCB-1 or a CM32-L and an intelligent MPU. Both combos are hard to find and very expensive. I have the LAPCI with MCB-1 and it works great, I have the MCB connected to a Roland SC88 and a Yamaha SW1000XG. I have 3 port audio switch to switch between the 3 with the output going into the line in of a AWE64 gold.

The MPU will cost way more than the CM-32L. An SCC-1 will also provide the requisite interface to a MIDI module, so it's another option (although not particularly cheap).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 24, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NooNaN wrote:

The machine is a K6 III+ and I play with the caches and clock speed to run everything.

My opinion is go with the CM-32L and use SoftMPU. There are already 100% compatible MPU-401 clone cards around if you ever have the need for a hardware MPU. I don't know if you're using a ATX or AT case but LAPC-I is a full sized ISA card and will usially not fit in ATX cases unless you mod the case (literally cutting metal). You can invest in a mixer to drive everything. I did and it was one of my best investments ever.

Reply 10 of 24, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I don't know if you're using a ATX or AT case but LAPC-I is a full sized ISA card and will usially not fit in ATX cases unless you mod the case (literally cutting metal). You can invest in a mixer to drive everything. I did and it was one of my best investments ever.

Good point about the card size. I do have a good amount of room in my ATX case, but I haven't done the measurements. When you say mixer, are you talking stereo mixer like I already have, or something different?

This one's a silly question, but just want to confirm... The 32L I'm looking at is from EU with an EU power adapter. Should I be purchasing a generic, US one from eBay or is a simple, plug type converter fine (which I have several)?

Reply 11 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ The CM-32L needs a 600mA 9v (center negative) PSU. Nothing special except the polarity, just use whatever good quality PSU you have in hand.

18jg93.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 24, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean by "plug converter" ? A 220->110v stepdown transformer will work for the original PSU, a simple plug converter won't. But why not do the easiest thing and just get a 10$ 9V US PSU and be done with it? 😉

Reply 14 of 24, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NooNaN wrote:

Got it, thanks. No concerns just using an EU-->US plug converter though, right? The PSU it has is the original Roland one.

Since you're getting the CM-32L from the EU, it is very likely that the Roland PSU will be a 220, 230 or 240v model. So a simple plug converter wouldn't work and might even be dangerous (I'm no expert though!) - you would need a step-up converter. As Keropi pointed out, your best bet is to get a replacement power adaptor. Officially I think Roland recommends the PSB-1U but there are plenty of cheap compatible adapters on ebay.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 15 of 24, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

What do you mean by "plug converter" ? A 220->110v stepdown transformer will work for the original PSU, a simple plug converter won't. But why not do the easiest thing and just get a 10$ 9V US PSU and be done with it? 😉

I agree. I use a generic AC/DC adaptor on all my Roland devices (since some of them came from the US with the US based adaptors where the voltage is different to where I live).
The ones I use allows you to change the polarity and the output voltage.

Just make sure that the output is at least 1000 milliamps or 1 amp (it will draw only so much power that it needs).
Don't use an adaptor that only outputs 500 mA on a device that requires 600 mA.

Reply 16 of 24, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:

...I agree. I use a generic AC/DC adaptor on all my Roland devices (since some of them came from the US with the US based adaptors where the voltage is different to where I live).
The ones I use allows you to change the polarity and the output voltage.

I'd advise being really careful using these. With some adapters it's really easy to invert the polarity and/or change the voltage by accident, and then you might do serious damage to whatever device you're powering. I'm speaking from experience unfortunately 🙁

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 17 of 24, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got it on all fronts, thanks. Yes, the generic PSU at correct spec seemed like the best option.

Could any of you recommend a good, 2 or 3 to 1 switcher? I don't see all that much on eBay right now. Preferably, something modern/new that would match my other gear.

Thanks!

Reply 19 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NooNaN wrote:

Got it on all fronts, thanks. Yes, the generic PSU at correct spec seemed like the best option.

Could any of you recommend a good, 2 or 3 to 1 switcher? I don't see all that much on eBay right now. Preferably, something modern/new that would match my other gear.

Thanks!

I used to have something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Way-Port-Audio-V … y0AAOSwP~tW2fef

All the MIDI gear would go into this, and the output would then go into my mixer.