VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, maybe this will be a dead end but here goes.

I purchased a Toshiba 460CDT off eBay yesterday. It's perfect for everything I need except for the gameport - which is hiding somewhere in the docking port. It takes a "Card Station III" dock, according to the product flyer. I can't find anything on Google about it except for spec sheets which say that it does have the gameport, but what I need is the pin map for it so I can make my own homebrew adapter 😎

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find a maintenance manual or something?

I guess I'm also going to need something that will plug into that docking port - not the usual thing to find at your local Radio Shack, I guess... 😐 Mouser probably has it though. I just need to know what it is.

Thanks!

EDIT: Woo hoo! My hundredth post! Now I can ditch that "newbie" label, or so it seems... 😉

I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.

Reply 2 of 6, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That toshiba of yours has almost the same specs as Satellite 310CDT that I bought this weekend. The real difference is that mine doesn't support a docking station so no game port for me.

eq1d3f.png
b15z33-2.png

Reply 3 of 6, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sgraffite wrote:

Maybe something like this?

Ooh... I didn't see that before because nothing came up on eBay for "Card Station III" - I guess "Enhanced Port Replicator III" is another name for it. Well, that helps things a little, but I'm not sure I want to shell out ~$30+ for this thing. EDIT: I could make them an offer though... I don't know what I would put. $8-10 maybe? I wish the shipping was less, or free even.

Half-Saint wrote:

That toshiba of yours has almost the same specs as Satellite 310CDT that I bought this weekend. The real difference is that mine doesn't support a docking station so no game port for me.

Accessing... accessing... Hey! Yours has a 200 PMMX, while mine has a 166... how much of a performance difference is that? Not that it matters for me - heck, I'd be happy with a 486DX2/66! 🤣 You can get PCMCIA gameport cards, however (that's my plan B) and there are also USB to gameport adapters you can buy on Amazon (plan C). Hopefully those work in Windows 95? 😕

I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.

Reply 4 of 6, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would be good to see pics of the dock connector. There is a Desk Station V Plus, which I've been trying to find for my Tecra 740CDT and your model is a very similar form factor. Your model is not on the list but then neither is mine but I know for a fact it's compatible. Minuszerodegrees.net had a service manual for the Desk Station that has a pinout in it - could be worth a shot?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 5 of 6, by sgraffite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just checked at home and I've got the Satellite 4015CDT which is a Pentium II 266. Looks very similar.

According to this site the PA2717U model docking station supports these models:

Toshiba Portege 610CT
Toshiba Portege 650CT
Toshiba Satellite 220CDS
Toshiba Satellite 4030CDT
Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT
Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4260DVD
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280ZDVD
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4340
Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT
Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDT
Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT
Toshiba Satellite Pro 465CDX
Toshiba Satellite Pro 480CDT
Toshiba Satellite Pro 490XCDT
Toshiba Tecra 8000
Toshiba Portege 620CT
Toshiba Portege 660CDT
Toshiba Tecra 500CS
Toshiba Satellite Pro 490CDT
Toshiba Satellite Pro 470CDT
Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDX
Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDX
Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDX
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4360
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4320
Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280XDVD
Toshiba Satellite 4100XDVD
Toshiba Satellite 4085XCDT
Toshiba Satellite 4060CDT
Toshiba Satellite 225CDS

Reply 6 of 6, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As another vintage Satellite owner (4005CDS here), I was also investigating possible dock options earlier but have found it to be a bit of a crap shoot.

Many eBay sellers claimed to support my model or its CDT variant with various docks (namely the PA2717U and PA2731U), but given the connector's position relative to the I/O ports on my laptop (connection seems to be parallel or similar-looking proprietary, but my laptop's parallel port is off-centre and I can't find a proper image of it or a pinout) and a lack of official info on specification sheets for either laptop or docks to support the other, I am not really sure either.

Well, if those turn out not to work there is always the elusive PCMCIA game port / MIDI synth option....

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20