VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I found this motherboard from 2001 (the BIOS says "1999 - 2001" so I guess the motherboard is from 2001 or somewhat close) and today I decided to put it together with some hardware, I got a pretty nice DOS computer out of it, much better than the one I got outta that Olivetti M4 454 S I talked about in the "System Specs" subforum.
Only problem: the model and manufacturer is written nowhere on the board and there's no "logo" screen at the start, so I have no way to know what model it actually is... I can't look up its manual to see the pins for the case LEDs and PC speaker... I can't check if it perhaps has Windows 98 compatible drivers (which I really hope...)... I don't know anything.
I only know that it has an Intel Celeron 1.10 GHz as CPU (even though most DOS games, such as Rayman say it is a Pentium 6, but the BIOS says it's an Intel Celeron 1,10 GHz and I trust more the BIOS than outdated games check logs), 3 PCI slots and a single ISA slot (that's the particular that made me love this motherboard... I could put my beloved CT3670 in it 😁 😁 😁 now the Olivetti M4 454 S has a CT29-something, forgot the last 2 digits), it has 2 RAM slots and requires that RAM with "3 sections" on the bottom, I guess it's some old kind of DDR, I'm not very informed about RAM types and models.

Here's a picture of it, the only picture I have of it... unfortunately I didn't take any pic before assembling it today and I certainly don't want to dismount everything just for a photo, consider that the 3 PCI slots are very well visible and the hidden one from my CT3670 is an ISA slot. (I just noticed that I even took this photo before plugging the audio cable from the DVD-ROM to the CT3670)

MF0zR8j.jpg

And here's a slight view of the back panel aswell where the cables allow it, might be useful.

foJM6Xz.png

I hope some "expert" can be able to identify what motherboard that is, I have no clue and I couldn't find any information on Internet... and the model/manufacturer is written nowhere I could see...

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 30, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My only guesses are either a low-cost Chaintech OEM board their site never listed, or some low-end maker like PC Chips or PC Partner.

It may never be known as there were so many brands making boards back then, many of which disappeared without making much of a memorable impact. I have a similar Socket A board for which I have never found the maker, but I know what Chipset it uses and it wasn't hard to find generic drivers for it.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 2 of 30, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to make a guess of ECS and SiS 630 chipset.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there some way, some DOS software to "scan" the chipset and know whether or not I can find them for Windows 98 ?

Most important ones:

Reply 4 of 30, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if any DOS software is that accurate, but Everest Home is quite good under Windows for finding out what things are;

http://filehippo.com/download_everest_home/

If you're lucky, it might even tell you the Motherboard model actually, but this isn't guaranteed.

Reply 5 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yeah, Everest... I'll give it a try tomorrow when I try to install Windows 98 along with MS-DOS 7.10

I'm going to make it dual boot somehow, it's the best DOS PC I've ever used until now and I'd like to keep using it on DOS aswell as Windows 98 (you know, for Soundfonts software for my CT3670, Windows 9x games that are quite glitchy on VMWare...)

The only problem is that I don't have Internet over there where I have that computer...

Most important ones:

Reply 6 of 30, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

speedsys will tell you the chipset, bios date and video card plus CPU type and speed.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 7 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've honestly never used it, is it a built-in DOS program/command ?

Most important ones:

Reply 8 of 30, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking at the southbridge and the CMedia soundchip, it is a PCChips motherboard, on these on the BIOS screen you can see the model number which is Mxxx on these kind of boards, these data may help you finding drivers for it and Speedsys is a DOS program that does not come with the system or Windows itself, you will need to download it

Reply 9 of 30, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shameless self promotion

SpeedSys can be found in my benchmarking toolkit; https://www.mediafire.com/?ii8qs1i7whd42es
This contains some utilities, notably here it contains SpeedSys, as well as some common applications to see how fast the system is. Also available with an MS-DOS EXE installer you probably don't need. This tool needs updating and a bug in the menu needs fixing, probably have to wait until after I move now.

Reply 10 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I even found Doom in that "utility" pack, WTF ? 🤣

I'll try SpeedSys today, I also put Everest portable on my pendrive and I'll install Windows 98.

Rodoko wrote:

Looking at the southbridge and the CMedia soundchip, it is a PCChips motherboard, on these on the BIOS screen you can see the model number which is Mxxx on these kind of boards

It's a normal AMIBIOS BIOS, I'll look harder for this number.

Most important ones:

Reply 12 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rodoko wrote:

The fastest way to find it is looking at the BIOS string on the bottom when it boots up, remember to press the Pause key to pause the boot process so you can read it :3

I don't see anything useful there 😢

I tried Speedsys and it doesn't work, it gives some error related to the CPU being in protected mode or something similar, I forgot to take a screenshot 😢
I haven't tried Everest on Windows 98 yet because I can't format the second partition I made with fdisk, it reaches 38% and then it says something like "trying to recover allocation unit *random numbers*" or something similar and stays like that probably forever... I'll eventually try and get a new IDE hardisk all for Windows 98 and leave that one for DOS only as it is.

Without the motherboard model I can't look up its manual online and I can't find how to plug in the pins for the case stuff (PC Speaker, reset button, LEDs... I managed to get the power button by randomly placing it on the pins I found when I turned it on with the classic screwdriver trick)... I'd really want the PC Speaker to work, not because I like it (in fact I hate the PC speaker sounds overall), but because some games use only the pc speaker and there's no way (as far as I know) to redirect it to the sound card... resulting in 100% mute gameplay, such as Arkanoid and Duke Nukem 1.

Most important ones:

Reply 13 of 30, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To get around the Protected Mode thing start the machine and start bashing the F5 button just before the "Starting MS-DOS..." text appears. It should skip loading memory managers and therefore prevent the system entering Protected Mode.

Thinking about it though, you might be better off using NSSI; http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm
In the Computer section it tries to detect the chipset and should detect most other devices with reasonable accuracy.

Reply 14 of 30, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here you have the model and a bit of info of your board :3 (Go to the link)

http://www.fatblokeracing.org/E20699%20Ps-1%2 … herboards.shtml

For the PCChips links that are on the article, since they are dead I recommend you to use the Wayback Machine (http://archive.org/web/)

Reply 15 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's definitely not my model, there isn't the ISA slot my model has...

Most important ones:

Reply 16 of 30, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a PCChips M754LMR+.
http://www.sbazar.cz/Deben/detail/15859524-za … rocesorem-intel
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/pcchips/M754LMR+.htm

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that looks really like mine, even the 2 IDE slots are the same colors...
Anyway I scanned my PC with NSSI as HighTreason suggested and these are the "results" (I took a photo at the monitor itself because I can't connect it to my capture card yet as it's still in my other house)

This is the "General Information" screen:
bi4dE00.jpg

And this is the "Computer" screen where it says something about the chipset and other stuff:
37OAFQL.jpg

It's funny how it says there's no ISA while it actually is there and I am using my CT3670 Sound Blaster which is an ISA sound card 🤣

And it also says "Operative System: Windows 98" while I'm using MS-DOS 7.10 and there's no trace of Win98 anywhere on that PC... WTF ? 🤣

Most important ones:

Reply 18 of 30, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just installed an S3 Virge and now it freezes when it reaches "Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0..OK"

😒

Most important ones: