VOGONS

First post, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The whole "Windows ME sucks because no DOS" argument got me thinking, what programs/games truly need real mode MS-DOS in order to function? I ask because Virtual DOS has always worked for me. If X program won't work on new-ish Y hardware, real mode DOS is doesn't make any difference.

Maybe the real mode DOS fans just love the command prompt?

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 1 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't call it "virtual DOS". Windows NT/2K/XP had a "virtual DOS"; 9x and ME had, well, MS-DOS sessions.

It doesn't exactly answer your question, but Raymond Chen wrote about some of the heroic efforts that were made to ensure buggy MS-DOS games would play happily with Windows.
http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/images/9780321 … _bonus_ch02.pdf

Looks like he's still been writing about it on his blog lately:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/ … 328-00/?p=93204
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/ … 425-00/?p=93345
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/ … 418-00/?p=93307

Ultima 7 often comes up as a game that doesn't play well with Win9x, but then there's U7Run, which is specifically intended to get Ultima 7 running in such cases. There's almost certainly something out there that abuses the hardware in unexpected ways that are incompatible with WIn9x, but offhand I can't recall what they are.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same level as DOS+EMM386, I'd say. EMM386 is basically a minimalistic OS, encapsulating DOS.
And both are virtual in some kind. For true DOS, get an EMS card, use hardware UMBs and stay in real-mode.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

For true DOS, get an EMS card, use hardware UMBs and stay in real-mode.

Any software author that wrote programs exclusively for those with an EMS card would have severely restricted his or her audience.

Reply 5 of 8, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember Fast Tracker 2 would refuse to run on Windows' VDM, its demand pure DOS with memory manager that support VCPI or DPMI (or i just use emulator like DosBox).

Last edited by Joey_sw on 2016-04-29, 09:05. Edited 1 time in total.

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

For true DOS, get an EMS card, use hardware UMBs and stay in real-mode.

Any software author that wrote programs exclusively for those with an EMS card would have severely restricted his or her audience.

They didn't have to. But for some reason they decided to restrict their audiences later on.
It was about '93, I think, when those DOS4GW based apps did creep out of their coffins. 😉
The irony is, up to this point featurerich 286 machines (some with EMS, btw) just became common and affordable.

Edit: Thank you very much for the links to Mr. Chen's blog! I've just read a few pages, but it's already beyond awesome.
Just love that sarcastic undertone in his writing! 😀

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Anything that really abuses the PC speaker is a good start, like Links.

Time for magical mushrooms, yay ! *link*

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 8, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the opposite problem : Terminal Velocity would freeze in DOS if sound was enabled. It had to run under 9x DOS. My sound card was a jazz 16 media vision. There was a DOS driver that made it sound blaster ish. It mostly worked. Mostly. But not for TV 🙁

I don't know how they did it, but the win 9x DOS sound blaster emulation seemed to just always work.