VOGONS

First post, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I posted about this board in the "Bought these (retro) hardware today" thread a week ago.

I still have not got the board working and it could be a memory incompatibility issues as has been suggested but lets presume it's not as I only have 44256 (and 4464) memory chips.

This is how the board looked when I got it (the sellers picture). The only thing looking a bit odd other than the skewed expansion slot is the choice of placement of the memory chips. Without knowing the exakt bank layout I think someone else has been trying to get this board to run before me and I think these 4 chips are probably spread out over 3 memory banks without knowing which sockets belong to which bank or which bank are which.

Juko Nest Baby XT (1).JPG
Filename
Juko Nest Baby XT (1).JPG
File size
390.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

To get the memory issue out of the way I have filled all 8x DIP-20 sockets with known to be good 44256 chips from a 286. This is probably 3 memory banks (2x +2x +4x) if this boards bank layout is like other similar boards but could perhaps be two banks (4x + 4x) if we assume the board came with 512KB (2x 44256 + 2x 44256) memory in the correct sockets. Filling all 8 DIP-20 sockets should correct this issue what ever the bank configuration one would think. The rest of the 10 memory sockets are 6x DIP-16 (I assume for parity) and 4x DIP-19 (I assume another memory bank, perhaps two should the 8x DIP-20 sockets only be two banks).

This is the motherboard I have been using as a template, it's not the same but very similar.
https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/A-B/32279.htm

This is the memory chips I'm using and the board on the test bench a few days ago.
The diagnostic card is perhaps not 100% useful as XT boards send codes on port 60? and not on port 80 but the card still shows "FF" in my working XT clones.

Juko Nest Baby XT (2).JPG
Filename
Juko Nest Baby XT (2).JPG
File size
4.37 MiB
Views
File license

Thinking the memory is not the problem I turned to the BIOS chip, once removed we have at least found an indication someone else has been tinkering with the board. There was no short and this pin is NC on many flash chips but still worth fixing.

Juko Nest BIOS chip - Houston we have a problem.JPG
Filename
Juko Nest BIOS chip - Houston we have a problem.JPG
File size
4.31 MiB
Views
File license

Fixed, this did sadly not revive the board. I then tested the BIOS chip in my working XT clone and the BIOS works fine. I will dump the BIOS for member Anonymous Coward tomorrow.

Juko Nest BIOS chip - Problem fixed.JPG
Filename
Juko Nest BIOS chip - Problem fixed.JPG
File size
4.17 MiB
Views
File license

I then started looking for shorts with my multimeter, with the board not connected to anything I did not find any shorts but I did find something worth investigating. When the motherboard is connected to my AT PSU with the power off measuring on an expansion card (does not matter which) shows only 48 Ohm resisitance from +5V(B3) to GND (B1 or bracket) and the resistance is stable. When measuring over caps on the motherboard with the AT PSU connected with the power off there is also only 48 ohm resistance, the same on every cap. When removing the AT PSU the resistance changes to no connection at once.

Not knowing exactly what I should think I moved over to the woking XT clone and measured the resistance from pin B1 (or bracket) to B3 on an expansion card with the PSU connected but turned off (not the same PSU) and the resistance is only 19 ohm but goes to no connection within 2 seconds. Measuring on caps on the working XT clone board with the PSU connected gives the same 19 ohm for a second then no connecion.

The behaivour is not the same is pretty much all this tells me and as the PSUs are not the same perhaps this is all normal? The PSU I'm using for testing the non working board works fine with other motherboards. I guess the next step is to try another PSU, I have already done that but not after fixing the BIOS chip leg and I have not measured the resistance from +5V to VCC on connected expanstion cards or the resistance over caps with another AT PSU connected to the board (turned off) to see if there is any change or if there is still a stable 48 ohm resistance.

This is where I am at now. Any inputs are appreciated.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 1 of 31, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a similar and working (but not identical) Juko XT board that I could dig up if you need some particular measurement for comparison, and indeed it doesn't produce POST codes on the typical port 80 diagnostic cards even when operating correctly.

As for the 48Ω impedance you're seeing on your AT PSU, it could be an internal minimum load resistor for the +5V rail you're indirectly measuring, not an uncommon thing.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 2 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
133MHz wrote:

I have a similar and working (but not identical) Juko XT board that I could dig up if you need some particular measurement for comparison, and indeed it doesn't produce POST codes on the typical port 80 diagnostic cards even when operating correctly.

As for the 48Ω impedance you're seeing on your AT PSU, it could be an internal minimum load resistor for the +5V rail you're indirectly measuring, not an uncommon thing.

Thanks for the input!

I thought the behavior with low resistance with an unpowered PSU connected could be normal but as it wasn't exactly the same as in my working system I wanted confirmation. An internal minimum load resistor sounds very logical so I guess the princess is in another castle. 😀

If this ends up beeing memory incompatibilty with 44256 chips I will be somewhat irritated but I can't just make my self buying the expensive DIP-19 "MB81C1000-10 1Mx1bit DRAM" chips I have been suggested could work with this board as I have loads of 44256 chips and this is what most late XT clone boards use. I rather buy a "Lo-Tech 1MB RAM board" as I could use that in my other XT systems which only have 640KB to get some UMB space if this board should end up beeing unsalvageable.

I should perhaps add that the video card I'm using is 8bit/PC-XT friendly and the CPU is also tested. On the picture the Nec V20 is still on the board but as I now use that CPU with my working machine this board is now equipped with the 10 MHz capable AMD 8088 that came with the working system. I have also tried the parity dip switch in both positions.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-29, 18:57. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 3 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dumping the BIOS did not turn out to be as easy as I hoped.

Uniflash won't work with my XT clone, not in DOS 3.3 and not in DOS 6.22.

Is there some good tool for an XT class system that can make a BIOS dump or do I need an external reader/writer?

Reply 4 of 31, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

If this ends up beeing memory incompatibilty with 44256 chips I will be somewhat irritated but I can't just make my self buying the expensive DIP-19 "MB81C1000-10 1Mx1bit DRAM" chips I have been suggested could work with this board as I have loads of 44256 chips and this is what most late XT clone boards use. I rather buy a "Lo-Tech 1MB RAM board" as I could use that in my other XT systems which only have 640KB to get some UMB space if this board should end up beeing unsalvageable.

It's pretty disappointing when things don't work. I too was a bit baffled when my Juko board didn't work with 44256 DRAM. The 1MB RAM card from lo-tech is indeed a solution and maybe you can save some bucks if you build it yourself. Still with the cost of PCB + parts + shipping to Sweden i'm not sure it will be cheaper than the outrageously expensive old 1MB x 1 DRAM chips. It is also a card that requires much harder work/effort due to those annoying SMD resistor networks. However it's a card that can provide not only 640KB memory but also upper memory blocks. So although more expensive its a much better investment overall, and can always be used in other systems as well.

I will be looking into getting one of these Juko Nest boards too, but i want the 8086 version which Anonymous Coward/Robin4 own.

Reply 5 of 31, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NSSI can sometimes dump the BIOS; http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm

But I am unsure of it it runs on the 8088. Can't hurt to try. Otherwise, you can try using DEBUG and doing it manually, but you might have to fiddle with parameters and I can't remember the specifics...

http://www.mess.org/dumping/dump_bios_using_debug

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 6 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

It's pretty disappointing when things don't work. I too was a bit baffled when my Juko board didn't work with 44256 DRAM. The 1MB RAM card from lo-tech is indeed a solution and maybe you can save some bucks if you build it yourself. Still with the cost of PCB + parts + shipping to Sweden i'm not sure it will be cheaper than the outrageously expensive old 1MB x 1 DRAM chips. It is also a card that requires much harder work/effort due to those annoying SMD resistor networks. However it's a card that can provide not only 640KB memory but also upper memory blocks. So although more expensive its a much better investment overall, and can always be used in other systems as well.

I will be looking into getting one of these Juko Nest boards too, but i want the 8086 version which Anonymous Coward/Robin4 own.

Price is not really the main issue for me, price vs "value" is as I'm a genuinely cheap person! 🤣

[Rant]

With the 1MB RAM card you at least get something unique, not a few mermory chips doing exactly the same thing as 44256 chips but costing 5 times as much. If I have to pay at least as much for memory chips as for a working XT clone board including 1MB memory then that just dosn't make sense to me, especially as I dont even know if this board works.

I already have two other working 10 MHz "Turbo XT" boards although with only 640KB memory (and no support for more) but for now they are good enough. I'm not even sure what software the XT clone can run that needs more memory than I will end up with after loading the needed drivers. Still I rather pay what ever an 1MB ram card will end up costing if someone decides to build a few than pay the ~60 euro these memory chips would end up costing with shipping and Swedish VAT + handling fee.

[/Rant]

I'm also looking for an 8/10/12 MHz 8086 XT clone board but this is not very high in my priority list.

Except for deals too good to turn down or I really need a specific item I'm not spending any more money on hardware until the summer is over (that is at least the plan).

HighTreason wrote:

NSSI can sometimes dump the BIOS; http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm

But I am unsure of it it runs on the 8088. Can't hurt to try. Otherwise, you can try using DEBUG and doing it manually, but you might have to fiddle with parameters and I can't remember the specifics...

http://www.mess.org/dumping/dump_bios_using_debug

Thanks for the tip.

I will try NSSI but I will leave debug be for now as I'm not even sure what size the BIOS is.

If NSSI does not work I will probably try to dump the chip with an Intel 430VX chipset motherboard (if it can support the chip) the next time I need to hotflash a BIOS for some dead board.

[Edit]

NSSI does not seem to be able to dump the bios on XT class hardware. The GUI portion of NSSI does not run at all but the program does list the hardware in text mode.

At least I now know that this Juko Nest BIOS is from 03-07-90.

[/Edit]

Reply 7 of 31, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, for invading you thread, but maybe i can help.
I've had got a similar issue with my pizza box 286 a while a ago..
Found a few utilities. One of them worked for me, so maybe does one for you.

Attachments

• Filename
    BIOS_dump_utilities.zip
    File size
    57.98 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    various BIOS dump utilities for Tandy/PC/AT
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

Sorry, for invading you thread, but maybe i can help.
I've had got a similar issue with my pizza box 286 a while a ago..
Found a few utilities. One of them worked for me, so maybe does one for you.

Thanks! I will try them.

I would not call helping and adding useful information + utilities for invading! 😀

Reply 9 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here comes the BIOS dump.

The file is 256KB as the whole BIOS area got dumped so I guess alot of nothing needs to be removed.

Out of the data some of it could very well be the VGA BIOS from the OTI-037c video card and some of it could be the XT-IDE BIOS. With luck someone who is familiar with BIOS editing can make sense of it and sort it out for us.

Filename
Juko Nest XT 03-07-90 BIOS dump.rar
File size
31 KiB
Downloads
77 downloads
File license

Reply 10 of 31, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right at the end of the file there is a "VEGAS Computing Solutions" BIOS which seems to be what you're after

Filename
JUKOVEGAS.zip
File size
6.28 KiB
Downloads
122 downloads
File comment
What appears to be a BIOS...
File license

Of course, without my own system to test it on, I can't be entirely sure this is correct or not. There are other ROMs in the file, such as XTIDE, Multi-Floppy BIOS and what appears to be an OAK VGA.

Actually seems the BIOS may be only 8KB and was in the file twice, if you really want me to check and then remove the last 8KB if this turns out to be the case, I will.

It does seem 8KB is average for an XT BIOS, so I've cut away half of the file;

Filename
JUKOA.zip
File size
6.17 KiB
Downloads
81 downloads
File comment
Last 8KB of the BIOS Dump.
File license

I hate that we can't upload BIN files here.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11 of 31, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The JUKOVEGAS.zip should be correct. 16k -> the EPROM will be a 27128 then.
The output of POST codes depends on the BIOS, it's possibly not implemented or goes to a different port. As the BIOS works in another board you could check what the POST card does there.
About the 48 ohms: The power supply probably has an internal resistor as minimum load. As long as it delivers 5V there's no problem.

- Tried a PC speaker?
- Do you have the 5 volts when powered on?
- parity chips are in place?
- Pin 21 of the 8088 has which voltage relative to GND?
- The VGA card is not the one that loves to play dead? 😀

An advanced diagnostic method is http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/supersoft_lan … dmark%20ROM.htm
You happen to have a logic probe or other suitable instrument? http://www.eleccircuit.com/many-logic-probe-circuit-ideas/

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice!

With luck this is what member Anonymous Coward needs.

Perhaps he can report if it works. 😀

Reply 13 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:
The JUKOVEGAS.zip should be correct. 16k -> the EPROM will be a 27128 then. The output of POST codes depends on the BIOS, it's p […]
Show full quote

The JUKOVEGAS.zip should be correct. 16k -> the EPROM will be a 27128 then.
The output of POST codes depends on the BIOS, it's possibly not implemented or goes to a different port. As the BIOS works in another board you could check what the POST card does there.
About the 48 ohms: The power supply probably has an internal resistor as minimum load. As long as it delivers 5V there's no problem.

An advanced diagnostic method is http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/supersoft_lan … dmark%20ROM.htm
You happen to have a logic probe or other suitable instrument? http://www.eleccircuit.com/many-logic-probe-circuit-ideas/

- As the BIOS works in another board you could check what the POST card does there.
This I have already done and the diagnostic cards shows "FF" and nothing more in the working system with the Juko BIOS, in the Juko board it shows "--"

At least I though so as the 5+ V led on the diagnostc card is lit.

- Tried a PC speaker?
No, I dont know what header it goes on, J5?

No, as I am not 100% sure of the bank layout. I have tried to disable partity with dip switch 1 (tried both on and off). I could test to fit some 4464 in the most likely sockets.

I will check this.

No. Ths VGA card is working and I have tried more than one. The VGA BIOS included in the dump is from the funky card though. This card cold boots fine with a LCD now but the picture degrades with time, on the CRT the picture does not degrade...

- You happen to have a logic probe or other suitable instrument? http://www.eleccircuit.com/many-logic-p ... uit-ideas/
That would be a no, it has been 15 years since I last did anything more advanced than looking for shorts and replacing caps (and blown transistors in amps).

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-30, 16:03. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 15 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

The JUKOVEGAS file seems to be repeating the same first 8KB.

Perhaps that is as it should be if the BIOS chip is 16KB?

Reply 16 of 31, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, it is repeating, I haven't seen that. For a 2764 chip use only one half.

Speaker: One pin should have 5V, the other may go through a resistor (like 33 ohms) to the collector of that transistor.
What does the documentation of the POST card say about '--'?

1+1=10

Reply 17 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Yes, it is repeating, I haven't seen that. For a 2764 chip use only one half.

Speaker: One pin should have 5V, the other may go through a resistor (like 33 ohms) to the collector of that transistor.
What does the documentation of the POST card say about '--'?

"--" is what the diagnostic card shows when there is nothing to show. It's not in the manual but when a motherboard has no BIOS at all or an non working BIOS or for some other reason does nothing the card shows "--".

The voltage leds for +5V +12V and -12V are lit as are the leds for "CLK", "IRDY" and "FRAME" but not "RESET". On the other hand the led for +3.3V is also lit so I would not trust the card alone...

I just chacked the voltages. +5V is reads fine, the 8088 has +5V on pin 40 (VCC) , and 0V on pin 21 (reset)

The headers read [0V - +5V] [+5V - 0V] [+5V - +1V] [+5V - 0V] [+5V - 0V] and [+5V - +5V] (Pin to GND)

The one my intuition thought was the speaker one (J5) is the one reading [+5V - +1V] , it has the transistor right behind it. With speaker connected over these two pins both reads +5V measured to GND, at least there were no magic smoke escaping...

Edit

I have also added 4464 chips to what I would imagine is the first 4 parity sockets.

It's only the "RESET" led that isnt lit on the diagnostic card, not "FRAME" as I first wrote.

/Edit

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-30, 21:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 31, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm attaching my guess at the banks. Not sure if the 128k bank must contain something. Depends on which block starts at address 0.
If you have a piezoelectric speaker (no conductivity across it) you can try every header without danger.

So the 8088 is not held in reset and may be executing code.
FRAME appears to be PCI related.

Attachments

• memjuko.jpg
    Filename
    memjuko.jpg
    File size
    149.76 KiB
    Views
    File license

1+1=10

Reply 19 of 31, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:
I'm attaching my guess at the banks. Not sure if the 128k bank must contain something. Depends on which block starts at address […]
Show full quote

I'm attaching my guess at the banks. Not sure if the 128k bank must contain something. Depends on which block starts at address 0.
If you have a piezoelectric speaker (no conductivity across it) you can try every header without danger.

So the 8088 is not held in reset and may be executing code.
FRAME appears to be PCI related.

That was actually how the 4x 44256 chips the board came with was placed, it came with only 512KB and no parity chips though. I filled all 8 sockets as I did not know the bank layout, 8 DIP-20 sockets for 8 44256 felt logical. 😀

When I said above that I filled the parity sockets with 4464 that was of course incorrect, I got the chip types mixed up (as I often do), I of corse meant 4x DIP 16 41256, they were the 4 parity chips on a 12 MHz 286 board using 8 44256 for 1MB memory.

I will try using only 4x 44256 with and without parity chips and I could borrow 4 actual 4464 chips from my working XT clone but I doubt I have any 4164 to use as parity for the last 128KB memory except perhaps in my NEAT chipset 286, can I use 41256 chips as parity for the 4464 chips aswell?

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-30, 18:07. Edited 1 time in total.