VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I've tried a GeForce256 on a fast Pentium 4 and it turns out that the TnL engine is actually holding the graphics card back. In 3DMark for example you can configure to use TnL or do it on the CPU. When you run it on the CPU the scores are higher, this is also with games that have the option (MDK 2 for example).

But is there an easy way to turn the TnL engine off? I had a look in the driver but couldn't find anything. Maybe a registry setting or some other tool?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 5, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, 3D-Analyze will sit beween the app and the driver, and act as a filter. It should work, but note that various games require hardware T&L, and will not work when the driver reports that hardware T&L is not supported (I believe Far Cry was such a game).
So make sure you test with a number of games. 3D-Analyze might work, but that may actually prevent some games from running properly 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 5, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All the games and benchmarks run fine without TnL, but some do support TnL as an option, so it will be easy to benchmark and see if this tool can block it or not.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 5, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recall there was this utility I tested for controlling aspects of the MX300 drivers called DirectControl, not sure if it allows T&L tweaking, but it gave a lot of options for tweaking DirectX. Can't open it currently as I am out of town for the weekend and my 98 machine is at home.

Attachments

• Filename
    setupdcontrol.zip
    File size
    407.36 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception