VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been scouring the net trying to find an image of my very first IBM-compatible PC, but time has not been on my side, especially when it comes to my memory. Here's what I know:
-We bought it in 1991 or 1992
-It was a Packard Bell with a 386SX-20 processor.
-It came with Windows 3.0
-I'm reasonably certain it was NOT a Legend
-I'm pretty certain it was some sort of a slimline case (which I stood on end rather than lay flat).
-I believe it was around $1000 for the system, including mouse, keyboard and 14" VGA monitor.
-We bought it at CompUSA.
-I only had the system for about a year before upgrading to a build-your-own 486SX-25. I don't remember what I did with the system. I can't remember giving it away, nor throwing it out.

All of the images I've come across with that processor in that timeframe are Legends, which look way too fat compared to what I remember. Any information you can provide (model, photos, web links) are greatly appreciated.

I have to admit, that it's entirely possible my memory is not lining up with reality. Maybe it WAS a Legend...but the photos of them just don't look right.

Thanks, guys.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 3, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm. None of those look right. Now that I've been thinking about it, I'm vaguely remembering the box saying Packard Bell Legend on it, so maybe it was a Legend. Did they make a slimline version of the Legend back in '91?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks