VOGONS

First post, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to use Doslfn with Dosbox? Works fine on physical computer, but I cannot install it on DosBox.
It would be nice to have long names...

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There is an experimental patch. Look through the patches forum.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote:

It would be nice to have long names...

The overwhelming majority of DOS programs are completely unaware of long names anyway. You might see the names on the command line, but they'll probably start going missing as soon as you try doing anything with them with any particular program. What would you expect to accomplish?

Reply 3 of 8, by Niezgodka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for organizing, long names are much more practical. I have mp3 and modules files on my dos computer. It is much easier to find file with full name than just eight letters.
Where can I find the patch for DosBox?

Reply 4 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sure on a real Dos machine it might help having ling file names for sorting stuff. But in a Dos emulator that runs in 99.99999% of the times on a host that has long file names support - what does that accomplish? Everything you do through the emulator for file sorting can be much easier done directly in the host...

Patches are most of the times in the patches sub forum or just use the search...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Niezgodka wrote:

I have mp3 and modules files on my dos computer.

Okay, but this is about DOSBox and not your DOS computer, isn't it?

It is much easier to find file with full name than just eight letters.

But unless your DOS program knows about long file names (which is probably unlikely), you won't be able to use that file once you find it anyway.

The alternative to using DOSBox patches would be to run an LFN-capable operating system (like DOS 7.0 from a Windows 95 bootdisk) from within DOSBox, but DOSBox is only capable of using disk images in such cases and not mounted directories.

Reply 6 of 8, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:
Niezgodka wrote:

The alternative to using DOSBox patches would be to run an LFN-capable operating system (like DOS 7.0)

What ? DOS 7 supports LFN ? Although it shows me every file and folder with just 8 letters as usual... is it there some kind of command to enable ?

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

What ? DOS 7 supports LFN ?

I could be mistaken, but a little Googling suggests there are screenshots to that effect.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aPlcmNP-rr0/SxufQRi … s400/ms-dos.jpg
http://www.cn-dos.net/msdos71/pic/doslfn.jpg

Although it shows me every file and folder with just 8 letters as usual... is it there some kind of command to enable ?

No, there is no special command. If a file doesn't have a long name, it won't be shown with a long name.

Reply 8 of 8, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never noticed that on my MS-DOS 7.10 PC

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard