VOGONS

Is a Voodoo 5 worth it?

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 87, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The special thing about voodoos is that it's no normal super sampling, but rotated grid. (RGSSAA)

Some source material to clear things up:
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/divers/v5- … sheets/FSAA.pdf

Reply 81 of 87, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

Maybe later I will retest my test pack (322 games) with dx8.1 card and make a "dx8.1 compatible" list...

322 games? Wow, now THAT is impressive. That must have taken you a long time to put together.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 82 of 87, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

The special thing about voodoos is that it's no normal super sampling, but rotated grid. (RGSSAA)

Some source material to clear things up:
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/divers/v5- … sheets/FSAA.pdf

I know. I was pretty sure GeForce FX could pull that off, no? Perhaps not with the driver control panel, but utilities like RivaTuner help expose secret options in the drivers. Certainly it couldn't have taken them until 2008 with GTX 280 to support RGSSAA?

Reply 83 of 87, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Maybe later I will retest my test pack (322 games) with dx8.1 card and make a "dx8.1 compatible" list...

Befor retesting those 322 games, for the beginning, you'd could say in which Glide games Voodoo 4-5 have advantage compared to Voodoo 3, according to "V3 does not support TexFMT, so you're limited to 256x256 textures".
Or this mystery will stay buried under the layer of local flood.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 84 of 87, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tertz wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

Befor retesting those 322 games, for the beginning, you'd could say in which Glide games Voodoo 4-5 have advantage compared to Voodoo 3, according to "V3 does not support TexFMT, so you're limited to 256x256 textures".
Or this mystery will stay buried under the layer of local flood.

No need to be this salty. However, I am intrigued to see which Glide games have this advantage on V4/V5.

Reply 85 of 87, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote:

which Glide games Voodoo 4-5 have advantage compared to Voodoo 3

Native glide: none. I wish there was the support for Messiah and NBA Live 2000 but no. 3dfx bankrypted before developers have widely implemented V4/V5 features.
"Opengl" glide (because all Voodoos translate opengl to glide and some games can choose 3dfxvgl/3dfxvgl as the ogl library): MDK2, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2016-05-31, 14:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 86 of 87, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KT7AGuy wrote:
Gamecollector wrote:

NGlide needs SM2.0 so all this GF4 haul is very strange.

I wasn't using nglide at all. I was using both dgvoodoo and zeckensack's wrappers.

dgVoodoo 1.x, not 2.x, to be pedantic. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 87 of 87, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

dgVoodoo 1.x, not 2.x, to be pedantic. 😀

Yes, confirmed. I should have been more clear. I was using dgvoodoo v1.50 beta 2.

I didn't bother trying dgvoodoo 2 because I was under the impression that it requires a bit more horsepower and is optimized for newer hardware.