VOGONS

Reply 40 of 67, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:

I was just wondering… is it possible to hack in an OPL chip from an old isa sound blaster 1 card I have found recently or the CT4750 won't detect it at all ?

I don't think so.
If you really want to have a PCI sound card with better OPL3 sound in DOS you should look at the mentioned Yamaha PCI cards, or an Aureal Vortex (or Vortex2) card (which would be a good choice for Win9x as well).
There are several threads on Vogons regarding this topic (bascially which PCI sound card to use for DOS).

Reply 41 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about these OPL emulators ? None compatible with Win98 ?

4b983d5b8a6c4b7aa33d056e1238e853.png

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 42 of 67, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:

Anyway, outputting from the gameport or not, using the "general MIDI" option I don't hear any music.

Have you tried the other 3.5 mm outputs on the soundcard?

Also, try running a DOS game (e.g. SimCity 2000 MS-DOS*) directly from Windows 98 with MIDI enabled in the game settings. If that works, your DOS drivers for pure DOS mode are not properly set up (ensure that the settings for the drivers match whatever Win98SE shows for the soundcard's legacy support). If running directly from Win98 doesn't work, have a look at the Windows 98 settings to see whether MIDI is enabled, and whether a waveset-file is selected (I like the 4 Mb version), and try again.

* Since running this directly from Win98SE with MIDI enabled works for me, it should work for you...

Reply 43 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I have no problems with MIDI at all in DOS games, only with Adlib sounds and musics, because this card doesn't have an OPL3 chip.

So is there any way to get VDMSound to emulate OPL3 in Windows 98 ? It only works on XP for me, and even with KernelEx on 98 I can't get past the DOS prompt.

Most important ones:

Reply 44 of 67, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VDMsound is written specifically for NT kernels (NT, W2k, XP etc). It will not work on Win9x.

(edit) It looks like I'm wrong, since I last looked it seems that someone ported it so it works with Win9x also. Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 45 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried that version and now every DOS game goes in a black screen... yay, I have to format... damn 😢

Nevermind, I deleted every VDMSound reference from the registry manually... and the dos games still crash *facepalm*

EDIT 2: Ok, now the DOS games start, but they don't detect any sound card at all with VDMSound (win9x patch) loaded.

Most important ones:

Reply 46 of 67, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stamasd wrote:

(edit) It looks like I'm wrong, since I last looked it seems that someone ported it so it works with Win9x also. Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

That is an alpha version, yes. It is pointless to use it anymore as it offers no advantage over plain DOSBox.

If you cannot get DOS games to use your sound card in Win9x, VDMSound is not a practical solution.

Elia1995 wrote:

In the ending, I'm using General MIDI for all dos games that support it, I deleted every other game that doesn't have such support and I play them in my 486SX2 or Celeron DOS machine.

What happened to this sensible idea?

Last edited by Jorpho on 2016-06-20, 19:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 47 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I can't get it off my Win98 PC completely, everytime I restart the dos games just go into black screen and I have to "reinstall" this VDMSound thing again, but then I don't even get General MIDI to work again (at least GM was what sounded decently).... format time ?

Jorpho wrote:
Elia1995 wrote:

In the ending, I'm using General MIDI for all dos games that support it, I deleted every other game that doesn't have such support and I play them in my 486SX2 or Celeron DOS machine.

What happened to this sensible idea?

😢 I wonder aswell

Ok, solved it... I didn't remove it, but instead I added to the autoexec.bat the line "C:\VDMSOUND\VXDSBOOM.EXE" so it executes that file automatically on startup, after this file has been used, vdmsound unloads and everything returns to "normality" (well... I still prefer distorted music than black screen)

Most important ones:

Reply 48 of 67, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,
I really hope someone helps me.
So I try to explain better I can, I own a Sound Blaster PCI CT4750 just installed, and under Windows XP it works nice.
Now I have a dual boot system, when one hard disk starts with Windows XP SP3, and the other one with a MS-DOS 6.22 instance correctly installed.
Various games works, I read and I configured my system to free conventional memory and I always succeded in all operation.
But now the sound make me become crazy. This audio card is a PCI card, I have my system installed on a motherboard Abit NF7, so it has not ISA slot.
So i Really need to configure audio card in PCI slot. I disabled the audio from bios of the motherboard, I disabled the serial and parallel ports, I downloaded the CD driver for DOS and the install.exe command add lines to my autoexec.bat and config.sys, always the "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6" and the "SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV".
I want to attach two screenshot of my autoexec.bat and config.sys so someone can help me.

The card is like can't be initialized. It's like there is IRQ problems, I don't really know.
It can depend from a Non maskable interrupt?

IMG-20190703-154450.jpg
IMG-20190703-154502.jpg

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 49 of 67, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah and sorry, this is the screen after DOS loaded all the drivers.

IMG-20190703-155238.jpg

Thanks, any ideas is appreciated. I really want to figure out this situation so I can hear music and sounds in DOS games. And using a joystick Gameport too.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 50 of 67, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The nForce chipset of your motherboard won't cooperate with your CT4750 under DOS, just forget about it. A card based on the Yamaha YMF7x4 PCI (running the DSDMA TSR) or Aureal Vortex might have working Sound Blaster emulation under DOS with your motherboard.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 51 of 67, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And what about the gameport on the sound card? Can I use a joystick at least?

Or I have to change completely sound card? I really need the gameport at least.

Love beer, too.

Reply 52 of 67, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kamerat wrote:

The nForce chipset of your motherboard won't cooperate with your CT4750 under DOS, just forget about it. A card based on the Yamaha YMF7x4 PCI (running the DSDMA TSR) or Aureal Vortex might have working Sound Blaster emulation under DOS with your motherboard.

I am buying another audio card to made it work booth Windows XP than DOS, it's important for me it works in a REAL DOS environment (6.22).

What card I can buy to be SURE it works good on my NF2 Abit motherboard?

Aureal Vortex or Yamaha YMF?

Or perhaps an Aureal Vortex 2?

Love beer, too.

Reply 53 of 67, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, let's see if any expert and lover of our NF-7 answers me.

I'm creating an MS-DOS system, on another Windows XP hard disk that I use today.
By the time I learned and remembered what to do, with a dual boot I boot the system between Windows XP and MS-DOS 6.22.

I started installing games and since they work well, I well thought of installing a PCI sound card to get the best sound from the pc speaker but ESPECIALLY a gameport port to play with the legendary Quickshot joysticks I have at home, a beautiful cloche and one a little simpler.

And here comes the problem. Previously I installed a Sound Blaster PCI128 given to me by a friend of mine, CT4750 to understand, but without success. On Windows XP the sound worked but the gameport gave me error 12, saying that there were no resources to make it work. So I thought it was a card problem and on the American site Vogons advised me to try the Yamaha YMF724 which according to them would have collaborated with my Nvidia NF2 Ultra chipset.

After several days I found one, but the error is still the same, the Windows XP system detects the error 12 telling me there are no resources available for the gameport port, and even changing them manually the card does not work.

So I tried to find and download other drivers for Windows XP, but the result was that the gameport didn't even see it.

Honestly speaking, my need was mainly the game holder for the various joysticks I own, rather than the actual audio; I could play quietly with the speaker that I removed from an old PC but that works well and is 0.5W and therefore also a valid one.

None of you implemented the gameport port on this fabulous motherboard and can give me advice on how to do it, or did you simply try it yourself with no chance of getting it to work and tell me to drop it?

Let's hope so, I spent money both on the joysticks and the various sound cards, I hope to get a solution.

Thank you very much,

Loris

Love beer, too.

Reply 54 of 67, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had no luck at all with nforce chipsets and MS-DOS. It boots, but UMBs, EMS and PCI sound emulation don't really work.

I recommend sticking with VIA and SiS chipsets for Pentium 4 and Athlon (XP and 64) systems that you want to run pure DOS on

Reply 55 of 67, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

None of you implemented the gameport port on this fabulous motherboard and can give me advice on how to do it, or did you simply try it yourself with no chance of getting it to work and tell me to drop it?

Didn't you just deactivate it in BIOS?

Reply 56 of 67, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
biessea wrote:

And here comes the problem. Previously I installed a Sound Blaster PCI128 given to me by a friend of mine, CT4750 to understand, but without success. On Windows XP the sound worked but the gameport gave me error 12, saying that there were no resources to make it work. So I thought it was a card problem and on the American site Vogons advised me to try the Yamaha YMF724 which according to them would have collaborated with my Nvidia NF2 Ultra chipset.

nForce is no go for DOS sound. Read more info about it here: PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 57 of 67, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From what I am finding, people were complaining about the gameport on sound cards not working with that motherboard and they didn't even implement a gameport header on the motherboard either.'

People also said that the one soundcard known to have a working gameport with that motherboard is the turtle Beach Santa Cruz. The DOS sound is not reported to be very good though.

There may be others but that is what I keep seeing pop up as the recommendation - see below in the link that says that it doesn't actually work on nForce motherboards.

No mention of whether the gameport will work in DOS or not though.

Have you tried disabling the onboard sound through the BIOS and see if that fixes your issue?

Any of the PCI Creative Sound Blaster cards is going to be horrible for DOS, especially the FM emulation except maybe the very rare PCI AWE64 cards... but even those would not have very good DOS support and I am pretty sure they require the PC/PCI or SB-Link header to work which your board doesn't have.

You may also want to try a ForteMedia FM801 based card as well if disabling the onboard audio doesn't fix the gameport issue with the Yamaha based card.

Check this out, it seems Creative Labs released an updated driver for the Audigy 2 that makes the gameport work in Windows at least.
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?194512 … me-port-problem

Also seeing other reports that the Phillips sound cards game ports work IF you disable the sound, MIDI, and Game ports in the BIOS.
Are the MIDI and Game port settings even available in the NF7-S BIOS?

Sounds to me like the nVidia chipset based boards of the time had some serious issues.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 58 of 67, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

I precise that I don't really want to change motherboard, for various motivation I am really really in love with that motherboard.

Yes, I have absolutely disabled the sound in bios, and no, there are no GAMEPORT setting in bios in that motherboard.

I don't know how to do, I found a Yamaha YMF724 only cause an user here told me it should work, but it seems doesn't.

I read links now, but if I have to buy other sound card (expecially for this gameport) I have to be sure it works in Nvidia nf2 chipset.

It is important to notice that the ASUS nf2 card, expecially A7N8X Deluxe, offer the GAMEPORT header in the PCB, so you can connect the cable and have an header in the back of PC. But we return in the argumentation that I really don't want to change my beloved Abit NF7.

Any ideas? Can you solve me this problem? I just have to try other sound card?

PS: Do you think it's correct to open a new thread cause I am going offtopic about this CT4750 thread (I begin with this card but now I'm on this Yamaha YMF724)

Love beer, too.

Reply 59 of 67, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Play Duke Nukem 3D with General MIDI Sound.

And load Soundbanks for Ensoniq Audio PCI or 128 PCI into the RAM.
You get a much better Experience.

If you play modern DOS Games, a SB128 will suffice.. but for OPL2 Games.. forget it.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board