VOGONS

Reply 20 of 67, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should select general midi for modern dos games like doom, for older games you could use dosbox.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 21 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I choose general MIDI, it automatically outputs the sound from the gameport and none of my joysticks have "speakers" on them 🤣

I can't get the MIDI to play from the 3.5mm jack of the CT4750 when I choose it in DOS games, it automatically routes it to the gameport I dunno why

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 22 of 67, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

If I choose general MIDI, it automatically outputs the sound from the gameport and none of my joysticks have "speakers" on them

Then how do you know it's outputting the sound from the gameport..?

I'm pretty sure general MIDI doesn't work that way.

Reply 23 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I think it's outputting the MIDI from the MIDI port (gameport) because no sound comes out from the 3.5mm jack and when you connect, for example a Sound Canvas or a Roland MT-32, you connect it through the gameport to the sound card (but I have none of those cool MIDI boxes, unfortunately... just a MIDI keyboard which has big round MIDI cables which aren't shaped like the gameport on any sound card)

Anyway, outputting from the gameport or not, using the "general MIDI" option I don't hear any music.

Most important ones:

Reply 26 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It states it's H330 in my autoexec.bat should I edit it there aswell ?

Kamerat wrote:

Tried running the card in DOS with DOS drivers?

Well, when I boot the PC it shows "SET BLASTER=A220, etc..." so I guess it has the DOS drivers already loaded in the autoexec.bat file.

I'm now going to try different MIDI ports in Duke Nukem 3D's setup and double-check if it will work... otherwise, I'll try to install CoolSoft Virtual MIDI Synth and load my SGM .sf2, but I dunno if that program is compatible with Windows 98

EDIT: Yep, I tried different ports and with 320 is now working... WTF ? Why is stuff not working in the first place and then "retrying" after a day magically work on that PC ???

Although this can't be a permanent solution: not all games have a MIDI option in their setup, don't forget about Blake Stone and Commander Keen, guys.

Most important ones:

Reply 27 of 67, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

using the "general MIDI" option I don't hear any music.

To surmise that it must be outputting through the gameport is jumping to conclusions, to put it mildly.

big round MIDI cables which aren't shaped like the gameport on any sound card

Yes, you need a special adapter cable in order to use that.

Elia1995 wrote:

Well, when I boot the PC it shows "SET BLASTER=A220, etc..." so I guess it has the DOS drivers already loaded in the autoexec.bat file.

The CT4750 uses SBINIT.COM in DOS. However, as discussed in one of your other threads, it is highly unlikely that SBINIT.COM will ever work in DOS with your particular motherboard.

Reply 28 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On a second note, I haven't tried Ensoniq drivers yet, may I encounter conflicts if I install them without removing Creative's ?

Most important ones:

Reply 30 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ensoniq drivers give more compatibility, if I understood correctly what Mau1wurf1977 said in his thread about Ensoniq and Creative drivers, maybe SoundScape sounds different than Adlib (or maybe is the same, wavetable-emulated garbage, I don't know)

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
1. Ensoniq Driver which will give you Soundblaster Pro, General Midi and Ensoniq Soundscape compatibility […]
Show full quote

1. Ensoniq Driver which will give you Soundblaster Pro, General Midi and Ensoniq Soundscape compatibility

2. Creatives Driver which will give you Soundblaster 16 and General Midi compatibility

Many games had native support for Ensoniq Soundscape. So with these games just select Soundscape. E.g. Descent, Descent2, Dark Forces and Duke Nukem 3D are all

examples of games that have native support for the Ensoniq Soundscape.

Ensoniq Driver:

The driver is easy to use and I have included instructions. In a nutshell copy the AUDIOPCI folder to your root directory of your C drive, then copy paste 4 lines from

the supplied AUTOEXEC.BAT into your own AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Most important ones:

Reply 31 of 67, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:

maybe SoundScape sounds different than Adlib

Anything besides licensed OPL chip sounds different than Adlib. While to play FM through GM-wavetable it's like... to pull teeth through the ass.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 32 of 67, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Elia1995
You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that the motherboard you used for this setup is an Asus A8V-XE?
Just my 5 cents worth, but I think the hardware you have is a bit over the top for playing DOS games on it (it's a very fast PC, compared to what was around in the last days of DOS). So, you are going to run into problems with many DOS games.
However, it would actually make for a very nice Windows XP PC, since (based on what I could gather from Asus' website) there are only officially drivers available for Windows 2000 & XP for this motherboard.

As mentioned in earlier posts. No matter what you do, you are never going to get proper FM synthesis or good MIDI playback from this sound card. The sound card itself was released at a time when game developers already dropped MIDI support in games and hence, the General MIDI samples supplied with this card is not of the best quality. By that time CD Audio and/or some compressed form of digital audio was what produced music and sound effects in games.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to make sense out of why you want to play DOS games on this particular hardware and on this sound card.

Reply 33 of 67, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

As mentioned in earlier posts. No matter what you do, you are never going to get proper FM synthesis or good MIDI playback from this sound card.

The page I linked to before mentions something about routing MIDI to the Microsoft software synth, though that blurb is in the section about the CT5803 and may not apply.

Reply 34 of 67, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jesolo wrote:

@Elia1995
You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that the motherboard you used for this setup is an Asus A8V-XE?
Just my 5 cents worth, but I think the hardware you have is a bit over the top for playing DOS games on it (it's a very fast PC, compared to what was around in the last days of DOS). So, you are going to run into problems with many DOS games.

That's exactly what I made a hint about in an earlier post.... 😉 A8V-XE is a socket 939 right?
The motherboard is better suited for 2000/XP/Vista, depending on what drivers there are.
And looking at the supportpage, I can only see drivers for 2000 and up.

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/21/3/3/19/

The chipset for the board are "K8T890" wich again tells me that it might just be too new for Dos gaming.
Though I really do not have any knowledge about direct dma and non masked interrupts on this chipset.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboard … _d/ASUS/A8V-XE/

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 35 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I managed to make a very good Windows 98SE PC out of that motherboard, everything works perfectly, I managed to get the hardware acceleration from my X300SE, I managed to get working audio and Internet (well, no way I'm going to go online with it, I don't think there are good antiviruses for 98SE anymore, just LAN).
As for DOS, yes I know that I'll never get perfect DOS gaming on it, and that's the reason why I also built another PC which I'll keep DOS ONLY, based on an "unknown" motherboard (more info on a thread I made in Marvin "What manufacturer and model is this motherboard ?") and an Intel Celeron 1.10 GHz with my CT3670 as sound card.

I just wanted to get clear as why DOS games sounded like that while the sound card is actually pretty good (anything else sounds almost like they would here on my modern Windows 7 PC) and we sorted out that the reason is that it doesn't have an OPL3 chip on it.

Now the last thing to do would be... get a new sound card for this Windows 98 PC, PCI, which has that chip, thus making it a complete Windows 98 PC which could also play Adlib fine.

I remember as a kid that I could set the music for Duke Nukem 3D as "AWE32" without issues, it always worked and I always used "AWE32" as a setting... I had either 98 or XP at that time... I didn't use DOSBox (I found out about it only about 8-9 years ago) back then, but I don't remember at all what hardware it was...

Most important ones:

Reply 36 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the ending, I'm using General MIDI for all dos games that support it, I deleted every other game that doesn't have such support and I play them in my 486SX2 or Celeron DOS machine.

Most important ones:

Reply 37 of 67, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Elia1995 wrote:

In the ending, I'm using General MIDI for all dos games that support it, I deleted every other game that doesn't have such support and I play them in my 486SX2 or Celeron DOS machine.

Any game that's old enough to not have General MIDI support will probably run better on a pre-Win9x machine anyway. 😉

Reply 38 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, true that...

Most important ones:

Reply 39 of 67, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just wondering… is it possible to hack in an OPL chip from an old isa sound blaster 1 card I have found recently or the CT4750 won't detect it at all ?

Most important ones: