VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yoyo Vogoners,

I went to pick up some ramsticks off Gumtree the other day & the guy was like 'Heyyyy mannnn, I got these snazzy soundcards you can have for a tenna' And he handed me a few Aureal Vortex 1 sound cards. I'm fully aware Vortex 2 is what people usually want, are these any good? I really have no idea.

I pretty much exclusively run NT OS's since 95/98 are bloody horrid, so I can't use these till Zan releases his new drivers on this forum.

So yeah, vortex 1, any good? Differences with vortex 2?

thx

Last edited by mzry on 2016-05-03, 08:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vortex 1 is the first Aureal ASIC. It's an improvement on the original Aureal tech used on Diamond Monster Sound. That was a multichip solution.

A3D 1.x sounds great. There are quite a few games with support. And it does DS3D fine too. Has a daughterboard header. Decent DOS support.

No EAX support though. Vortex 2 lacks that as well however.

Compared to a contemporary like the AUDIOPCI / SBPCI64/128 it is a much more interesting card for 3D audio.

Reply 2 of 4, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Compare charts in the AU8820 and AU8830 product briefs.

AU8820 has 48 total voice channels, AU8830 has 96.
AU8820 lacks hardware HRTF, AU8830 has hardware HRTF support.
AU8820 provides hardware mixing for 32 channels to 16 and sample rate converters for 16 channels. AU8830 uses the same hardware.
AU8820 has hardware wavetable for 32 channels, AU8830 tacks on an extra bank for 64 total wavetable hardware channels, can be repurposed for directsound streams.

Not bad for 1996, not sure anyone really needs an AU8820 if you can get hold of an AU8830 card. Same hardware but more of the good stuff.

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2017-06-25, 16:56. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Zan, you are a true gentleman. I'm sure hundereds/thousands of people will use and appreciate your new drivers when they are finished. Be sure to include ways for people to send a donation for your time in the readme file 😀

Reply 4 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah lots of info there. Thanks.

Offhand I know I've played Jedi Knight and Battlezone on Vortex 1 and the 3D audio is excellent. Both A3D 1.x games.

For some reason the pre-Vortex 2 hardware didn't have the same hype attached to it which is a shame.