VOGONS

First post, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was scouring ebay for deals on retro stuff and come across a lot of things like "30 misc PCI cards" or "50 processors for gold recycling" or things like that. Anyone ever roll the dice and try one of these to see if you can score something worthwhile?

Reply 1 of 11, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not without pictures, no.

30 misc PCI cards could end up being nothing but old modems. 50 processors for gold recycling could have all the pins ripped off. Without pictures I would not bother.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 11, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have not purchased a lot in awhile.

I did a recovered/pulled 10x Pentium 3 1.4S chips some years ago. When the package arrived I got 12x cpu's and some had bent pins but not too bad. I have fixed around 4x of them so far and then I pin-modded one of them to work in a older i815 chipset that didn't natively support the cpu that is my main retro rig still. I did toss one as I broke the pin off trying to fix it 🙁

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've gotten lots of cool stuff this way, but you definitely have to consider the possibility that every piece could arrive damaged or in worse condition than in the pictures due to lack of packaging.

If you're handy with electronics repairs (replacing SMD components or fixing traces) you'll be much more likely to get something out of a "for parts or recycling" lot.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 11, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I've gotten lots of cool stuff this way, but you definitely have to consider the possibility that every piece could arrive damaged or in worse condition than in the pictures due to lack of packaging.

If you're handy with electronics repairs (replacing SMD components or fixing traces) you'll be much more likely to get something out of a "for parts or recycling" lot.

Yeah, I can do moderate soldering but no where near the skills to replace ICs or traces.

Reply 6 of 11, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an extremely good luck on one lot (i don't buy them anymore though). It had a Roland RAP-10, AWE32 long, and a few ISA video cards all for $60 shipped.

However, I've been extremely burnt on most of them. Cards are ripped apart or shredded due to poor handling, components ripped off, blatant misuse and burn marks.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 7 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No pictures = no sale it is that simple

I bought lots and have gotten some great pulls but I have gotten a lot of crap that I didn't want. A LOT of sellers these days are total morons so expect to get stuff that isn't packed at all and almost everything be horribly damaged but there are those rare times when you get something that will make your day in a good way. Lots are a great way to save and waste a lot of money. The more pictures and better the ratings of the seller the better your chances of getting something worth your time. For low or non rated sellers if the pictures looks as though they were taken with some old potato from the Jurassic with hardly no description at all chances are that you are in for some disappointment as they tend to not pack anything right.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.... I go with nforce4max and other's on this.
No pic's is the same as no deal.

Funny enough. I have come across seller's that did not realise or think about the fact that a picture will provide better chances of selling stuff.
I don't know what goes through their head or what reason there is, to not provide a picture. They usually provide pictures upon request.
And then there are those, who just take pictures of the items, displaying random nothingness of the things they are selling.
No sale there eighter... You know... Selling a computer and only providing a picture of the monitor. Why? I don't know.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 11, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had good luck with one particular lot where it had 2 PowerVR PCX1 cards, 3 AGP Voodoo3 , a Matrox Millenium II 12MB card and some later AGP and PCI cards , and it cost about as much as a bus ticket.

Reply 10 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did once, I ordered a lot of broken 9800GX's back in 2009. I had 20 cards for 100 dollars. Baked them all, and 18 worked. Sold the 18 at 150 a pop.