VOGONS

First post, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is a bit complicated and between two topic. I've made some major discovory about the Compaq Ultra Sound 32 pro. First of all. I've made a preconfigured package of drivers that i'm ajusting and i'm near of distribut it here. But i've come face to some issue.

I will start with the discovery. Lot of people saying that this card is noisy and dont work well and is picky with the ram. FALSE. I've experienced the issue, distorted sound and very noisy in some game. The fact is we have to disable the 512k of onboard memory. The jumper is near the 512k itself. I've played doom with it, hocus pocus and lot of other game. Ultramid and ultrinit work as well. The prepgame didnd work but everything else in the ''gus pnp'' directory work. I've tryed flashing the card with the eeprom of the GUS pnp to resolve this issue ... 🤣 i've sucessully patched Jazz Jackrabbit this way(with the prepgame), but alas, still not working. This card when flashed with the gus pnp rom output no sound. So i've rolled back to the last compaq rom. This card is really clear and sound really nice ... but i cant get Jazz Jackrabbit to work. The setup detect the card right away but when i start the game ... ''please run setup to configure your sound card''. I've tryed the Interwave Patch with no sucess (refuse to patch the game)

I'm at almost nothing of making this card usable for everyone who has it ... but i need help at this point. Someon have an idea?

Last edited by ExTneicsol on 2016-05-05, 22:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've somewhat ''patched'' the Jazz Jackrabbit problem. This card can play every game with a good configuration. It is a bit tricky. I think it would be wise to make a patched game archive. So how do i upload my modified driver to the vogons driver bank?

Last edited by ExTneicsol on 2016-05-05, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good, so your other topic about Decompiling is no longer necessary? Yes please share this in vogonsdrivers or similar.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 7, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote:

Good, so your other topic about Decompiling is no longer necessary? Yes please share this in vogonsdrivers or similar.

It could still be. It would be much easier to have a programe that dont need to detect you gus before patching the game ... to patch JAZZ JACKRABBIT i had to patch the eeprom of my CUS32PRO to GUSPNP ...use the software the right way (yes ... facepalm) and reflash the card to compaq rom. I dont think the card will like that often. So i can modify the software it would be great ... and if someone want to help me, it would be better!

Jorpho wrote:

P.S. The game is Jazz Jackrabbit, not "Jazz Rabbit".

Thx 😀 Corrected.

Reply 5 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought my first GUS and it happens to be also a Compaq Ultrasound 32.

Since I'm a new owner of a GUS, and I know that these cards can be tricky to set up, I've just briefly played around with the card.

I used the Compaq Ultrasound installation disk from Vogons drivers and installed it under Windows 95.
The disk seems to only contain the bare minimum (the mixer apps appears to be missing, despite the "readme" file stating that the files should be included).
Was there ever a full installation CD or set of disks released with this particular card?

Installation wasn't too painful and the Windows drivers installed successfully (I did have to point it to the installation files to install the drivers).
Aplications under DOS that directly support the GUS (like demos) seems to run fine.

I've started to struggle a bit in getting some games to run, using MEGAEM
Sound Blaster support appear to work fine (provided I run .bat files provided upon startup).

Should I rather use the GUS PNP driver installation disks/CD instead?

Looking forward to your driver package.

Reply 6 of 7, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jesolo, i used the compaq driver as a base. The mixer existe but only in windows 9x (usefull btw) but i think you could use the one that come with the gus pnp. The iw.ini should be moded a bit and it depend if you want to use it alongside another card (as the sound blaster emulation and the megaem isnt so great) my IW.ini file is modified a these place.

[setup 0]
SynthBase=240
CodecBase=34c
CDBase=0
ATAPIBase=0
MpuBase=0
AdlibBase=0
GamePort=0
IRQ1=7
IRQ2=0
CDIRQ=0
MPUIRQ=0
SBIRQ=0
DMA1=6
DMA2=7

I suggest you make a backup of your ini file. What is important is the SynthBase, CodeBase, IRQ1, DMA1 and DMA2. And a little bit above there is a place where you can chance pnp for legacy. This way you're configuration will stay.

In my Autoexec.bat ...

@REM ===== Gravis initialization (1.3) =====
@SET INTERWAVE=C:\IW\IW.INI
@SET IWDIR=C:\IW
@C:\IW\APPS\IWINIT.EXE
@C:\IW\APPS\GETIWENV.EXE > C:\IW\APPS\SETIWENV.BAT
@C:\IW\APPS\TEA6330.EXE
@CALL C:\IW\APPS\SETIWENV.BAT
@SET ULTRADIR=C:\IW
@REM ===== Gravis initialization ends =====

After that you should be able to use game that is compatible with gus. I you still want to use the SB emulation and megaem you will have to customize my setting. But i thing it should give you a good head start. IF you add simm to your card, there is a jumper next to the 512k of ram ... use it to disable the 512k ... or it will sound like garbage. For the rest of the file i've used i some from the gus pnp cd. PM and i will send you what i've done if you're interested in testing it.

Reply 7 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you.
Let me play around a bit and see how it goes.
I found another set of files from this location: http://www.geocities.ws/presariohelp2000/comp … vers_oct00.html
Just search for "Interwave" on the webpage.

These files appears to be the files that are copied over after installation, but might help as it also contains a DOS mixer util, but I haven't tried it yet.