VOGONS

First post, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

YMF7x4 is PCI and has official drivers only for XP.
The last chipsets officially supporting XP were Intel 7. And the last having native PCI was Q77, and only B and Q for 1155 have native PCI, none of 1150.

Had someone have 7x4's FM working in XP with Z chipsets? With 8-9 chipsets, new 1xx?
Had someone have 7x4's FM working in Win7 with Z chipsets? With 8-9 chipsets, new 1xx?
If yes, on which MB, which sound card, which driver? Have you tried with success DOSBox OPL paththrough on those configs?

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 1 of 11, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK, Yamaha YMF7x4 sound cards are all 5V PCI 2.1 cards. 1155 motherboards should use PCI 2.3, which is backwards compatible with 2.2, but I don't think you can run 2.1 cards in 2.3 slots.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 2 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

Yamaha YMF7x4 sound cards are all 5V PCI 2.1 cards. 1155 motherboards should use PCI 2.3, which is backwards compatible with 2.2, but I don't think you can run 2.1 cards in 2.3 slots.

I heard about working YMF7x4 on one P67 Gigabyte MB.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 3 of 11, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you read this, you will see that support for 5V PCI cards were removed from PCI Revision 2.3 onward. A P67 motherboard is likely to have PCI Revision 3.0 which 'removed support for the 5.0 volt keyed system board connector'.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 4 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

support for 5V PCI cards were removed from PCI Revision 2.3 onward

I know the theory. But also I have no doubt that man said the truth.
The board was GA-P67A-UD3P-B3. Which YMF model he used I don't know, most probably on 724F-V.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 5 of 11, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tertz wrote:
Evert wrote:

support for 5V PCI cards were removed from PCI Revision 2.3 onward

I know the theory. But also I have no doubt that man said the truth.
The board was GA-P67A-UD3P-B3. Which YMF model he used I don't know, most probably on 724F-V.

I'd love to see that happen. I couldn't get my YMF-724V to work on my ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0, which is around the same vintage as that board. It physically wouldn't fit in the slot, because of the key. I suppose one could modify the slot by removing the key (through filing it), but I suspect the card probably wouldn't work because it wasn't designed to work with PCI 3.0 slots.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 6 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

I couldn't get my YMF-724V to work on my ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0, which is around the same vintage as that board. It physically wouldn't fit in the slot, because of the key. I suppose one could modify the slot by removing the key (through filing it), but I suspect the card probably wouldn't work because it wasn't designed to work with PCI 3.0 slots.

That GB has ordinary form of PCI slots.
You probably have 724F-V, not 724V.

GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 uses PCIe-PCI bridge iTE IT8892E.
YMF744 and 754 may to work on 3.3V, but this may depend on the concrete card and something else.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 7 of 11, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never seen a Universal PCI (3.3V & 5V) version of a Yamaha YMF7x4 in my life before, if I could find one would've bought it, since my love for Yamaha Sound Cards is so strong. I've done a Google Image search for both YMF754 and YMF744 cards and most of them look like 5V PCI 2.1/2.2 cards. Perhaps there is a brave soul out there who is willing to make a 3.3V or Universal version of the same card.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 8 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

I've never seen a Universal PCI (3.3V & 5V) version of a Yamaha YMF7x4 in my life before

It's about chips 744/754, not cards. As we may see there were modern MBs with ordinary slots into which 5V PCI card may be inserted. According to the report above some of 5V YMF cards work on some such MBs. This may to explain how.

since my love for Yamaha Sound Cards is so strong

If there is i6-i9 MB with PCI near, there are chances your 744 will work. If it's possible to install XP, then FM should to work also.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 9 of 11, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just checked my labway X6000(YMF754) on Asrock Z77M mobo/W7x32(used alternative driverpack from some indian guy),here is result:
It do work on x32,but no drivers for x64,better then nothg 😀

kaYsqA7l.png

Edit:

Got it from here if someone needed:

http://www.4shared.com/rar/VEqWm1Iv/Yamaha_DX … Driver_for_.htm

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 10 of 11, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:

It do work on x32,but no drivers for x64,better then nothg

Thanks.
Unofficial Win7 drivers don't allow OPL. In XP with its native driver OPL works. Z77 supports XP, so you may use hardware OPL paththrough in DOSBox, for example, - it should work there in case FM Synth device for MIDI may be chosen and plays. As PCI is not native on Z77 - there is some chance that OPL will not function, despite PCM works.

The cards work with i6x and i7x. Stays unclear how is with MBs on later chipsets i8x - i9x. And what is with 724 and 744 cards. Maybe someone will check this too.
Is it possible to install XP on later chipset like Z97 so OPL worked there - another interesting theme.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 11 of 11, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Evert wrote:

If you read this, you will see that support for 5V PCI cards were removed from PCI Revision 2.3 onward. A P67 motherboard is likely to have PCI Revision 3.0 which 'removed support for the 5.0 volt keyed system board connector'.

The only 3.3v only slots I've seen were all PCI-X slots. PCs continue to ship with 5v compatible conventional PCI slots.