VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm playing around with one of my Windows 98 machines, and I've noticed that the scroll wheel on the mouse (an HP PS/2 optical) doesn't work at all. I've seen scroll wheels work on Windows 98 before, but support seems to be patchy (some applications work, some don't).

What's the deal with scroll wheels on Windows 98 SE? Are special drivers required for full functionality?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maximus wrote:

What's the deal with scroll wheels on Windows 98 SE? Are special drivers required for full functionality?

Unquestionably. You should check the HP website.

Reply 3 of 19, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm... I have an HP PS/2 mouse, and its scroll wheel works great in 98SE. Maybe it's because I have NUSB installed?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 19, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a promo video for the Microsoft IntelliMouse from 1997, so even Win95 OSR2 had at the very least rudimentary scroll wheel support. I recall seeing this video on a CD for a Microsoft product I used to own, it possibly could have even been the OSR2 CD that came with my old CTX laptop back in the day.

https://youtu.be/WwwwKg6kJ60?t=58 (Jump to 58 seconds in case the link doesn't take you there directly)

Granted I've never actually owned an IntelliMouse, thus I do not know off the top of my head if it included a driver in the box or if Windows natively supported it with no additional drivers or utilities required. Granted, native support wouldn't be surprising in this case, since it's an official Microsoft device.

Reply 5 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NT4 works fine till I apply SP6. I almost suspect it is to force people to use their intelipoint software!
I would think either Logitech or MS software will get it going again

Reply 6 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day I was quite enchanted by Cool Mouse from ShellToys which seemed to be one of very few products that would enable the middle mouse button in Windows.

Sadly, their site hasn't been updated in ten years and it looks like they still expect $25 for it. Nuts to that.

Reply 7 of 19, by Timbi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I personally downloaded drivers such as IntelliPoint and the wheel option in Windows 95OSR2 is greyed out, but...

I found some trick and decided to share with those who needs help as I needed:

de8b6991-c392-4359-a3c1-d3fc0e348a89

Download Tool: [X-Mouse 2.20.5](https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm)
This script will allow to scroll pages with use of mouse wheel in every environment (DOS/WINDOWS/OS etc) in emulators such as 86BOX, PCEM and DOSBOX. You can involve more applications by yourself. Install it in the host. I will not work outside allowed applications so don't worry.

Download Script:
[86BOX, PCEM, DOSBox - (mouse wheel support).zip](https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/fi … eel.support.zip)

Reply 8 of 19, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently upgraded my Win95 & NT4 machines to have scroll wheel support: Best scroll mouse driver for Windows 95 and NT 4.0

When I tried a Win98 machine scrolling already worked so I assumed that it was already fully supported.

Reply 10 of 19, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2016-05-10, 16:46:

NT4 works fine till I apply SP6. I almost suspect it is to force people to use their intelipoint software!
I would think either Logitech or MS software will get it going again

Or you can just edit the registry to fix it. See here:
https://www.itprotoday.com/compute-engines/js … el-not-detected

If you have a PS/2 Wheel Mouse without special driver (IntelliPoint or 3rd party), and the wheel is not functional, it is probably not being detected. Browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

Edit or Add Value name EnableWheelDetection, a type REG_DWORD, and set the data to 2.

Reply 13 of 19, by torpedo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Timbi wrote on 2023-12-27, 11:38:
I personally downloaded drivers such as IntelliPoint and the wheel option in Windows 95OSR2 is greyed out, but... […]
Show full quote

I personally downloaded drivers such as IntelliPoint and the wheel option in Windows 95OSR2 is greyed out, but...

I found some trick and decided to share with those who needs help as I needed:

de8b6991-c392-4359-a3c1-d3fc0e348a89

Download Tool: [X-Mouse 2.20.5](https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm)
This script will allow to scroll pages with use of mouse wheel in every environment (DOS/WINDOWS/OS etc) in emulators such as 86BOX, PCEM and DOSBOX. You can involve more applications by yourself. Install it in the host. I will not work outside allowed applications so don't worry.

Download Script:
[86BOX, PCEM, DOSBox - (mouse wheel support).zip](https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/fi … eel.support.zip)

I wanted to try it in 98SE, but X-Mouse 2.20.5 complains about psapi.dll not being available. Do you need kernelex to run it? Considering that you're running it in Win95 probably not, but I don't know what I'm missing.

Reply 15 of 19, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've a rather generic (Dynex) optical PS/2 mouse that I've used on all of my Win98 machines, and in all of them the scroll wheel has worked with no extra effort. In Device Manager it's labeled "HID-compliant mouse."

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 16 of 19, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had an early scrollwheel mouse, and I was using that under wfwg 3.11... the control panel util had advanced settings where it let you determine if it was doing up and down arrow emulation or page up page down, guess it was kinda like a keymapper. Think the tool was similar on 95... very long ago and can't remember the mouse name, might have been second tier manufacturer like Kensington or someone, and likely made by 3rd party with their name slapped on it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 17 of 19, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've seen scroll wheels work on Windows 98 before, but support seems to be patchy (some applications work, some don't).

Windows 98 does support the scroll wheel, but the application also must make use of it.
Whenever an event occurs like the mouse is moved, a mouse button or a key is pressed or released, windows sends a message to the application in focus, informing it what event has occured, and it's up to the application to process the message.
In case of the mouse wheel, it's the message WM_MOUSEWHEEL. The MSDN Library for VC++ 6 for example states that Windows 98 or later is needed (implying that said message wasn't yet implemented in Win95), but if the application had been programmed before WM_MOUSEWHEEL was introduced, then it wouldn't know what to do with it, thus sending WM_MOUSEWHEEL to that application has no effect.

Try the scroll wheel in Windows 98's own applications, like Windows Explorer and the like. That way you can verify if it works in principle.

EDIT: I use an MS IntelliMouse on my Win98 PC and the scroll wheel worked from the beginning.

Reply 18 of 19, by torpedo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My scroll wheel is working except for the COMMAND.COM window. Timbi claims that x-mouse works also in command.com which is why I wanted to try it.

Edit: or maybe I misinterpreted what timbi says, still worth a try.

Reply 19 of 19, by torpedo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. After installing MS intellipoint 2.2, command.com scrolling with mouse wheel is working. Funny thing is I could have sworn I'd tried ms intellipoint before, but I must had goofed up somehow. I'd still be interested in toying with X-Mouse so if anybody knows how to resolve the psapi.dll issue, or which particular version of X-Mouse is compatible with 98SE, I'd be grateful...

Edit: ah, I completely missed that it's only for emulated/virtual environments to be installed on the host side. That explains it.