VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I've been looking on Google for a while today, but I can't find anything on how to clone the desktop on a second monitor in Windows 98.

I managed to do it in XP with the Catalyst Control Center (CCC), but I can't get the CCC to work properly on 98 and this is the result:

9vatVMw.jpg

Now a little of backstory is needed.

I used to connect this PC to my capture card (Hauppauge HD PVR) with a VGA-to-RCA adaptor called Trust Televiewer V2, it reduced the quality drastically so I asked my father and he found an S-Video cable in his old audio/video cables.

Now I connected the PC to my capture card directly with this S-Video cable from its graphics card (ATI X300SE Sapphire) to the HD PVR itself and it looks a bit better than with the televiewer in the way.
The problem is that, while on XP I have CCC and I can configure it heavenly, I can't clone the desktop in 98, only extend, and that's what I do not want !!! I want to clone the desktop to the second "monitor" (the capture card) so I can record it without problems.

I've also noticed that the resolution in the Hauppauge's software is always 720 x 576 @25 FPS, even though I set the computer at 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600, that happens also in XP, causing a large black border all around the video, I also want to know how I can change the resolution there, remember that I'm currently using an S-Video cable, that's the only way I have at the moment to connect it directly from the graphics card to the capture card.

PL21lP7.png

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 4 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you need the driver to work for this. I had the same "issue" with the Matrox G400, but the driver works of course. In the standard Windows options you can only enable extended desktop.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 9, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using the drivers someone linked me in one of my old threads.
If I install Catalyst, the video driver doesn't work at all, if I don't, it does.
I dunno if you remember the struggle on getting 3D acceleration working in my Tomb Raider 3 thread.

Most important ones:

Reply 6 of 9, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How you you capture?

Second PC with capture card?

720x576 or 768x576 is Pal-Standard (in Germany for example)

You can try 640x480@60 at Monitor and set Video Output and Capture Card to NTSC 640x480@30.

And for CCC maybe you need MicrosoftFramework.

Reply 7 of 9, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If capturing is your main endgoal , I would use a 100hz Vga Splitter, the one I got actually fixes the strange resolutions found in old dos games and allows me to do captures of dos games, without any hassles

Reply 8 of 9, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My current capture card is an Hauppauge HD PVR, I can connect to it only S-Video, RCA (yellow, white and red cables) and Component (red, green, blue, white and red cables)

With this Trust Televiewer v2 thing, I can convert the signal from VGA to RCA without problems, but it looks very low def and blurry in the capture card (although it looks very crisp and nice on the monitor with the Televiewer's VGA output iself).

Most important ones:

Reply 9 of 9, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Faced same issue, but wanna go deeper, when I play on single screen, my dos games have high resolutions, but if I go with dual screen mode, I’m getting only tiny resolutions.

0AD2A0B1-C5BE-44C0-9EFC-A37E41E57E2B.jpeg
Filename
0AD2A0B1-C5BE-44C0-9EFC-A37E41E57E2B.jpeg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain