VOGONS

First post, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to figure out how to use a real MT-32 with my SB AWE32. I've been reading about the various commands to put in my autoexec.bat using the AWEUTIL, but I think I'm getting confused. I thought that the AWEUTIL /EM command enabled you to use a MT-32 unit with the card, but the more I read I think this is actually enabling the crappy MT-32 emulation that the card itself provides (correct me if I'm wrong). So my question is, what commands do I need to use if I want to use an actual MT-32 until hooked up to the gameport of the AWE-32 card? Right now this is what I have:

set sound=c:\SB16
set blaster=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
set midi=synth:2 map:G mode:2
C:\sb16\diagnose /s
C:\sb16\aweutil /s
c:\sb16\mixerset /p /q

Will this enable games to see the MT-32 unit or do I need to run another command? I think the key command here is SET MIDI. Also, will using any of these commands conflict with the DOS extenders that certain programs use, or is that just if you use the /EM emulation?

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 1 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could be wrong but I think you just have to select mt32 and port 330 in each game's sound setup application. To use the awe32's special features the game has to support it specifically (allowing you to select port 620) or use the mpu401 emulation feature (which I know is easy in Windows 9x but I'm unfamiliar with using it in DOS).

I would think that using less utilities and options for emulation will actually make it easier to use an external midi device.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your configuration appears to be correct.

The key is to ensure that "set midi=synth:2". The rest you can leave with their default settings.
1 routes your MIDI data to the internal EMU8000 synthesizer, whereas 2 routes it to the external MIDI/joystick port.

The Aweutil /em command is to enable MIDI emulation of the internal synthesizer, but what you have is correct (Aweutil /s).

You might also need to make use of SoftMPU for some of your MT-32 games, since some games requires an intelligent mode MPU-401 MIDI interface.

Reply 3 of 13, by Tempest

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jesolo wrote:

You might also need to make use of SoftMPU for some of your MT-32 games, since some games requires an intelligent mode MPU-401 MIDI interface.

That's the second time of heard of this. I'll have to look into that. Is there a list of games that need the Intelligent mode MPU?

EDIT: Found it! https://github.com/bjt42/softmpu/wiki/Compati … gent-Mode-Games

--- AtariProtos.com ---
For when excellence and burnished fineries need to gently visit the warmth of your tablery

Reply 4 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tested SoftMPU myself and can say that it works for many of those games that does require an Intelligent Mode MPU-401 MIDI interface.
You can refer to this thread for the feedback provided by different users and the different sound cards they tested it with: SoftMPU project needs your help! (game & sound card testing)
If you do not have an intelligent mode MPU-401 MIDI interface, then this is an excellent alternative.

PS: It's only required for those games that does require an intelligment mode MPU-401 MIDI interface. All General MIDI games (and most other MT-32 games) should run fine via your sound card's UART mode MPU-401 MIDI interface.

Last edited by jesolo on 2016-05-19, 11:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recommend testing MT32 mode in a LucasArts title first (Indy 2, for example), as those will not require intelligent mode.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 13, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tempest wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to use a real MT-32 with my SB AWE32. I've been reading about the various commands to put in my autoexec.bat using the AWEUTIL, but I think I'm getting confused. I thought that the AWEUTIL /EM command enabled you to use a MT-32 unit with the card, but the more I read I think this is actually enabling the crappy MT-32 emulation that the card itself provides (correct me if I'm wrong).

Correct. AWEUTIL controls the EMU8000 chip.

So my question is, what commands do I need to use if I want to use an actual MT-32 until hooked up to the gameport of the AWE-32 […]
Show full quote

So my question is, what commands do I need to use if I want to use an actual MT-32 until hooked up to the gameport of the AWE-32 card? Right now this is what I have:

set sound=c:\SB16
set blaster=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
set midi=synth:2 map:G mode:2
C:\sb16\diagnose /s
C:\sb16\aweutil /s
c:\sb16\mixerset /p /q

Will this enable games to see the MT-32 unit or do I need to run another command? I think the key command here is SET MIDI. Also, will using any of these commands conflict with the DOS extenders that certain programs use, or is that just if you use the /EM emulation?

"Map" in the MIDI environment variable is optimally set to "E" (Extended MIDI):

set midi=synth:2 map:E mode:2

Also: don't forget to mute MIDI in the MIXERSET utility, otherwise the EMU8000 (or Wave Blaster if connected) will also play at the same time.

Last edited by TimMer1981 on 2017-11-15, 21:31. Edited 1 time in total.

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 7 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TimMer1981 wrote:

Also: don't forget to mute MIDI in the MIXERSET utility, otherwise the EMU8000 (or Wave Blaster if connected) will also play at the same time.

No, it won't. The EMU8000 is not connected to the MPU 401 interface and uses a different i/o port, so it will not do anything unless you force it to do so by enabling MIDI emulation by using AWEUTIL /em.

Reply 8 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
TimMer1981 wrote:

No, it won't. The EMU8000 is not connected to the MPU 401 interface and uses a different i/o port, so it will not do anything unless you force it to do so by enabling MIDI emulation by using AWEUTIL /em.

And change the "SET MIDI=" setting to "SYNTH:1".

Reply 9 of 13, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:
TimMer1981 wrote:

Funny thing then that they did play simultaneously on my PC in the Monkey Island games...

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 10 of 13, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:
derSammler wrote:
TimMer1981 wrote:

And change the "SET MIDI=" setting to "SYNTH:1".

SYNTH:1 for the EMU8000
SYNTH:2 for Wave Blaster or MPU-401

Reply 12 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pabloz wrote:

i always look for an mt-32 in my country but nothing
i feel nobody had one in the 90s

and prices are crazy for it in the USA

I can relate - about 6 months ago I came upon one locally (after many years of searching). But, since I already acquired one from the UK a while back, I passed it onto my fellow vintage collectors.

Just keep an eye out on trading sites. Sometimes you get lucky.

Reply 13 of 13, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pabloz wrote:

i always look for an mt-32 in my country but nothing
i feel nobody had one in the 90s

and prices are crazy for it in the USA

Not just the USA: it's between 100 and 150 euros at the moment in Europe and GB. That's why I decided to go the MUNT way.