VOGONS

First post, by rudgerwaters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I am writing to ask your help regarding a hardware problem that I'm not able to fix.
I have a P3 600 MHZ on an Asus P2B. I've bought a Sound Blaster 16 CT2940 with the Yamaha opl3 to run my good old DOS games, but I've encountered a problem in both Windows 98 SE and Windows XP. The card works fine, but I have this ugly yellow question mark in the device manager that says "unknown device on Intel 83271AB/EB PCI to ISA bridge (ISA mode)". I'm sure is something about my Sound Blaster because if I disable the unknow device the speakers will not make any sound (furthermore, no yellow mark appears if I use my vibra16 card)
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Last edited by rudgerwaters on 2016-06-01, 18:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by rudgerwaters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately I can't disable the SB16's ide interface from the device manager. But I just can't figure out why Windows isn't able to recognize it. Windows 98 and XP should not have all the drivers for it?

Reply 4 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe that's a stupid question, but did you enable ACPI and APIC options in the Setup Utility ?
And is the "PnP aware OS=Yes" option also set ? Windows can't handle IRQ and I/O managment if these are disabled.
Note, that these have to be set before you do an installation of Windows, as these selections have an influence on which kernel is choosen.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 12, by rudgerwaters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To be sure, I've made a new Windows installation, but nothing has changed.
It could be that Windows 98 and XP do not support ide controllers instead of the onboard ones?
Surely, is something about that, because BEFORE the chipset drivers installation the question mark says "PCI to ISA bridge". AFTER I install the driver for the ISA bridge it detects the unknown device.
It really doesn't make any sense to me

Reply 6 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see. Your CT2940 doesn't have any jumpers.. That's bad in this case.
You could try to use intels Configuration Manager (ICM) to change settings.
It can be run from Windows 3.1 or DOS. So maybe it's also usable in Win 9x.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PnP configuration may be unable to hide the IDE port, because Windows seems to often do whatever it wants anyway. The card is also available sans IDE, so a hardware mod (ie. cut some leads) might disable it.

The other option would be to actually source a driver for the thing, if it exists.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, I haven't thought of that. Is there another way ?
Any chance the resources for onboard IDE can be changed somehow ?
So they won't interfere with the secondary IDE interface on the SB16 ?

Maybe it helps to assign IRQ15 to "Legacy ISA" (PNP/PCI configuration).

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok. Can you disable the onboard IDE completely and boot from that SB16 IDE ?
I'm curious whether this "fixes" the problem with the yellow mark.

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 12, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
2016-05-31 20.01.38.jpg
Filename
2016-05-31 20.01.38.jpg
File size
233.21 KiB
Views
File comment
Here's the card!
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hello, i have a sound blaster 16 ct2950,probably quite similar to yours. I have tried this card on a 486 dx2 66, expertboard exp8046 motherboard, in both dos and windows 95

In windows 95 this 2950 shows the same 'unknown' or 'unsupported' device problem with win95 drivers but the sound card works flawlessly .
I've tried reinstalling the sb16 drivers included in the ! awe64 ! installation disks (found it in SB supercompilation here on this forum, thanks ) and ... unsupported device recognized!

untitled.jpg
Filename
untitled.jpg
File size
22.71 KiB
Views
File comment
sb16 drivers in awe64 install folder
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I wonder why there's sb16 support in awe64 drivers, i'm no expert on this, but this trick worked!

I still have a really annoying systray error showing off at every boot caused by sb16snd.drv using both 'default' and the awe64 drivers, and that's why i've decided to switch to my ess1868 sound card.

I'd like to install this Sound blaster on a different pc and on a fresh windows installation, just to see if i can avoid these problems entirely.

Oh, also sorry for my poor english, it is not my main language 😊

Reply 12 of 12, by rudgerwaters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for your help! It finally works!!! I don't know why Windows 98 and XP use an older driver, but it doesn't matter.
Problem solved 😉