VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Windows 98 laptop with an ESS Audiodrive 1878 sound card which I use for playing my retro MS-DOS games. For the most part this works through Sound Blaster emulation, but I would prefer to use General Midi for the games that support it. General MIDI does work within the Windows environment, however, selecting General Midi in my custom-configured MS-DOS Mode states the message, "Could Not Detect MPU-401." I have downloaded and installed the proper DOS drivers for my soundcard (ES1868/ES1878) obtained from this very website, however I can't seem to figure out how to enable the MPU-401 playback. What would be the proper way of solving this little issue? I can provide my autoexec.bat and config.sys if needed.

Reply 3 of 5, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried different addresses for MIDI in the setup for the games ? Such as 320, 330, etc... ?

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 5 of 5, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I do not have anything plugged into my laptop other than the PCMCIA DVD-R Drive. I assume the sound card would have a wavetable built in, but from what I'm hearing, is it possible I'd have to use an external device?
Edit: Sorry about before, I didn't quite understand the question. The laptop does not have a MIDI port. The board in the laptop DOES include one, as I've seen from pictures online, but when they were building my laptop, they cut off the midi port so it would fit the case.