VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

... and I also know why !!! The problem is... I dunno how to fix it.

Hello, I'm running into this odd issue with the CT2950 Sound Blaster sound card in my Olivetti M4 434 S, it doesn't do that when I plug it into my oldschool / secondary PC speakers, but it does that when I plug it in my main PC's Line In to record the sounds when I have to record videos.
Since my Hauppauge HD PVR doesn't come with 3.5mm jack audio in, I have to record the audio separately with Audacity and then I combine audio and video in Sony Vegas, the problem is that the audio farts and a lot.
I said that I know what's the problem, so here it is: basically it's like the volume coming into my main PC's Line In is extremely high, causing the audio to muffle like that, the problem is that I don't know how I can fix it, there's no such thing as a mixer to lower the volume in DOS and the mixerset.exe program didn't solve the issue even if I lowered the master volume all the way down (obviously not at the point to mute it...).
I tried both with the Speakers Out jack in the sound card and the Line Out jack, same results on both, I've sticked with Line Out now.

Here's a video I just made on Raptor where you can hear that.
WARNING !!! Lower your YouTube volume...

https://youtu.be/qB1G8ZBbN8o

Ah yes, a cool thing is that when I reboot the PC (the Olivetti, not my main PC), sometimes it farts a little less in some games. It's like some games "amplify" the volume and keep it like that even after I close them...

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 17, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the digital audio part is so loud it's clipping, while FM seems normal. If there's no separate volume control it seems like possibly a hardware fault.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed that even though I lower the Master volume in mixerset and save, after I play and return to the mixerset, the master volume is all the way up on itself.

That clipping noise doesn't happen with every game though, so I'm not sure how much that is hardware's fault :\

Most important ones:

Reply 3 of 17, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try SB16SET and stuff from different driver packages. I guess besides that the usual troubleshooting would start with resources - other stuff interfering with the DMA/IRQ.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 4 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SB16SET ? Where can I find that ?

Most important ones:

Reply 6 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What's all that witchery ? 😕

Most important ones:

Reply 7 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A long shot, just to rule the obvious: If I'm not mistaken, this card has a jumper to configure output as amplified (for unpowered speakers) or as line-level (not using the on-board amp, intended for powered speakers). Are you sure you don't have it configured to use the amp and then passing the amplified signal to your line-in? Again, not saying you are, just a though.

Reply 8 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

but it does that when I plug it in my main PC's Line In to record the sounds when I have to record videos.

Are you sure you're using Line In and not the microphone port (often colored pink)? Because the microphone port often has a separate "microphone boost" setting. (I suppose it might even be active even if you're using Line In, depending on your drivers.) You can disable that in your Sound control panel.

Reply 9 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I tried both in the Microphone In and the Line In, but in both jacks the audio boosts like that, plus the FM music is just fine, it's only the sound effects that always get muffled like that.

Tested with Duke Nukem 2, which doesn't maximize the mixer on his own, the clipping indeed goes away when the master isn't at maximum in the mixerset.
Now we need to find a way to stop other games from messing with the mixerset.

Most important ones:

Reply 10 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Farting noises you say? It's probably just the OPL3. Sounds like everything is functioning normally.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No no, I triple checked the mixerset and it's due to the volume, when master is maxed it does that, but when I lower it, some games max it out again automagically.

Most important ones:

Reply 12 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I turned on the PC and it was completely mute, games are all mute, I checked mixerset and I found all the gains at x8, everything maxed out.

How can I completely remove the drivers, from everywhere and start fresh with them ? I already downloaded a new SB16 drivers pack from Vogons.

Most important ones:

Reply 13 of 17, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The CT2950 uses a TEA2025b as a pre-amp , and possibly amp for non amplified speakers(need to check a diagram to see), it might have malfunctioned.

Reply 14 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now it refuses to detect the I/O Address, I'll try to unplug, blow in the slot and plug it back in later, if it's hardware-related.

d5bb3ae5fda44af89f41237a45447017.png

Most important ones:

Reply 15 of 17, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have some contact cleaner or isopropal alcohol , you can clean the edge connector of the card, Ive had several that failed over time because the connector got groggy.

This however wont explain the clipping sound you got from the card

Reply 16 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

it doesn't do that when I plug it into my oldschool / secondary PC speakers

If this is truly the case, then whatever the problem is, it is probably pointless trying to solve the problem on your Olivetti.

There is probably something related to how you are recording the audio in Audacity.

Reply 17 of 17, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It however happens when the master level in the mixerset is maximized, some games auto-maximize it and does that.
However it sounds that bad only with the line out-line in on my main PC, if I use the speakers there is still just A BIT of such distorsion, but not as much noticeable as from the line out jack.

Most important ones: