SSD Worth it?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Not disagreeing with the fact that SSDs are great for older systems, but newer HDDs are also a good and quiet option.

I've tried Win98 on big modern HDDs and the OS just flies Win98 "snappiness" on a new HDD is similar to that of a modern OS like Win7 running on a laptop with a mid-grade SSD. Newer hard drives are obviously much faster than the older ones, and the sequential read/write speed is often better than a really cheap and/or old SSD.

With the HDD you also don't compromise on storage capacity.

This is absolutely true.

I don't mind older harddrives too much, even used an old IBM drive I think for my 486 and it wasn't terrible.

I actually prefer a slow but silent data storage solution more than I like a larger and faster data storage solution, but often (though not always!) these 2 come in pairs.

I really like old laptop drives though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How you use your system also makes a difference. If your system is always on and you have a decent amount of RAM, the SSD is not as noticeable because your programs are living in RAM (which is faster than the SSD). So minimal disk accesses=less noticeable advantage for SSD.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 34, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:

Not disagreeing with the fact that SSDs are great for older systems, but newer HDDs are also a good and quiet option.

I've tried Win98 on big modern HDDs and the OS just flies Win98 "snappiness" on a new HDD is similar to that of a modern OS like Win7 running on a laptop with a mid-grade SSD. Newer hard drives are obviously much faster than the older ones, and the sequential read/write speed is often better than a really cheap and/or old SSD.

With the HDD you also don't compromise on storage capacity.

Well storage capacity isn't a problem have, I have an FTP setup to talk to my main rig that has currently 8tb of storage, with 6 of it accessible via the FTP. And I can move ISO's very easily with a 128gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive, load them onto it form main and mount via the USB 2.0 PCI card under ME it just works 🤣.

Reply 23 of 34, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wished there was something like a RAM disk with an IDE connector.
Even storage space as little as 512MiB would have been awesome! 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 24 of 34, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With Windows 98 I find that loading times mostly depend on the CPU. A fast SSD in a socket 7 machine will still feel a bit slot, but put it into a Pentium 4 and now we are talking 😀

I prefer using the Seagate SSHD over all other solutions. But SSDs will become more and more popular as long as they make small enough capacities. I also agree that a modern platter drive is actually surprisingly snappy on retro machines. Much, much better than anything period correct.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 26 of 34, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

if its SATA connector, its actually exist!
http://www.acard.com/english/fb01-product.jsp … 1_idno=5&ino=28

would IDE/SATA converter will work with it?

-fffuuu

Reply 27 of 34, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

40gb ata133 Seagate Barracuda 5400rpm drives are nice in 95-2k machines. Quick, silent, and almost no power consumption. I have found them in lots of retired business P4 machines. They usually have a white label covering the entire drive.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 28 of 34, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone using SSDs in their retro rigs comment on the "SSD retention issue"? Many of us will have their PCs powered off most of the time and I'd rather don't want my data evaporate.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 29 of 34, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't this retention issue rather related to ssd NAND wear due to to many write cycles?

BTW - I use CF card for DOS installation and data, but I keep an old Seagate in my system just for the way it sounds. I think HDD noise is a big part of the whole experience.

Reply 30 of 34, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

Can anyone using SSDs in their retro rigs comment on the "SSD retention issue"? Many of us will have their PCs powered off most of the time and I'd rather don't want my data evaporate.

can't see that being a common issue, I still have an old 256mb flash drive with original US Army data on it I got from a recruiter in 2006

Reply 31 of 34, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

can't see that being a common issue, I still have an old 256mb flash drive with original US Army data on it I got from a recruiter in 2006

The old flash drives are actually better, because these issues are amplified due to the smaller processes in which modern NAND chips are manufactured.

tikoellner wrote:

Isn't this retention issue rather related to ssd NAND wear due to to many write cycles?

Yes, worn cells loose their charge faster. But most people would probably buy used SSDs (or take SSDs they used before upgrading their main PC) for their retro rigs.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 32 of 34, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Jo22 wrote:

Opps the power went out, now I lost all my data. 🤣

Take you pick.
15-168-001-02.jpg
hyperdrive-pers-open.jpg
Ddrdrive_x1.jpg

Reply 33 of 34, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally, they have the capability of battery backup. A battery might have to be installed.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder