VOGONS

SOYO 6BA+ IV

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I got one of these now, now I'm torn use this or K6-3+ I just bought. This one has a Pentium 3 800 100mhz FSB. ITs faster I know that, and my oldest games dont need a slow cpu, the oldest are Colonization Windows 95, or SimCity 2000 SE which really just need Windows 95/98 to work.

Reply 1 of 9, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You certainly can't make up your mind 🤣 .

Yes, Slot 1 CPUs will be much faster than any K6-III. K6 CPUs are useful because they make better "Time Machine" (trademarked by Phil 😜) systems. They are very flexible thanks to unlocked multipliers, ability to disable individuals caches and DOS games seem to run with less issues on them than on faster architectures.

Pick your poison, Pentium II/III is usually just as good for most games and is significantly faster (the 800MHz Coppermine is just way faster than even K6-III+ 600, there's no comparison). The Soyo SY-6BA+ IV is a fantastic motherboard, probably one of the best you could get your hands on. It is compatible with all the CPUs on Slot 1 (and even socket 370 with the usual tricks), is very fast and even has an ATA66 controller which is really cool.

I have one, but unfortunately the BIOS flash chip is dead on mine and I'm trying to find a replacement that won't cost me an arm and a leg thanks to insane shipping 😵 . Definitely one of the best 440BX boards you could ever get your hands on though!

Reply 2 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
You certainly can't make up your mind :lol: . […]
Show full quote

You certainly can't make up your mind 🤣 .

Yes, Slot 1 CPUs will be much faster than any K6-III. K6 CPUs are useful because they make better "Time Machine" (trademarked by Phil 😜) systems. They are very flexible thanks to unlocked multipliers, ability to disable individuals caches and DOS games seem to run with less issues on them than on faster architectures.

Pick your poison, Pentium II/III is usually just as good for most games and is significantly faster (the 800MHz Coppermine is just way faster than even K6-III+ 600, there's no comparison). The Soyo SY-6BA+ IV is a fantastic motherboard, probably one of the best you could get your hands on. It is compatible with all the CPUs on Slot 1 (and even socket 370 with the usual tricks), is very fast and even has an ATA66 controller which is really cool.

I have one, but unfortunately the BIOS flash chip is dead on mine and I'm trying to find a replacement that won't cost me an arm and a leg thanks to insane shipping 😵 . Definitely one of the best 440BX boards you could ever get your hands on though!

If i had my choice I'd use both, but my wife says only 3 desktops allowed, so that limits me. I would keep the K6-3 system in an anti static bag for redeployment when we get a house hopefully this fall. And maybe find an AT case to put it in. The biggest issue I have with the K6-3 is when i switch to my main system, when I go back to the K6-3 I can't control it with any USB devices, the AT keyboard works, but I prefer to use my keyboard, mouse and joystick that are on my KVM for obvious reasons. And given limited space because the systems are all in the living room she doesn't want multiple monitors, desks, and keyboards/mice laying around, its why she bought me a KVM 🤣

Reply 3 of 9, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Though the ATA66 doesn't matter much to me, I would end up using my Promise ATA133 card in it anyway.

Also interestingly enough, the 440BX is terribly compatabile, this board was tested working at my work, with a PCI HD3450, I would never have guessed something so new would work.

WP_20160603_11_48_06_Pro[1].jpg
Filename
WP_20160603_11_48_06_Pro[1].jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
WP_20160603_11_48_24_Pro[1].jpg
Filename
WP_20160603_11_48_24_Pro[1].jpg
File size
1.6 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What I can't figure out is why it doesn't auto detect my Pentium 3 800, it booted @ 66x8 though bios said 66x3, and I had to manually set 100mhz FSB.

Also anyway to replace those white ram clips?

Reply 5 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

What I can't figure out is why it doesn't auto detect my Pentium 3 800, it booted @ 66x8 though bios said 66x3, and I had to manually set 100mhz FSB.

Also anyway to replace those white ram clips?

Your P3 shouldn't have a non-locked multiplier, unless it's some kind of ES.

You could try some 'new' white clips from a donorboard? I've repaired a couple SDRAM-boards which had the white clips missing or were partially broken off.
U once even gotten a nice motherboard with the CPU-socket lever broken off directly at the CPU-socket and I ended up using a virtually identical lever from a dead Socket A board (had to lift up the upper half of the socket very carefully, replace lever, put top of socket back and the board worked! 😁).
It will depend on what exactly is broken though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was my best choice, but does not offer 2x66 🙁 I need 2x66 für my Klamath time machine (133/300)
Currently I am downgrading from the newest to the oldest Bios, but it seems that 3x66 (aka200Mhz) is the slowest one... 🙁

http://web.archive.org/web/20020815010650/htt … om/dl/bios/686/

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 9 of 9, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About SOYO SY-6BA + IV, Slot1 and BX chipset, with HD controller with Highpoint HPT366 chip and RAID.
I managed to boot with a PII 300 Slot1, PC100 32MB RAM and VGA AGP with maybe 4MB ATi 3D Rage Pro Turbo chip.

Obviously the BIOS messages due to low battery (changed before booting) appear, I press DELETE to enter the BIOS, and I enter to have a look if I notice abnormal values, there is something strange but nothing important, the frequency is indicated in 200MHz, but actually in the start screen you see the right frequency 300MHz, obviously this CPU has FSB 66, if I set 100 and it started it would go to 450MHz, this thing was easy to do in Celeron Mendocino, with a I even got there to 112 of FSB, but in this Mb I am not interested in overclocking, otherwise everything is ok by pressing F1, it continues until the operating system message is missing.
This is because I have not yet connected a hard drive or IDE-CF adapter and memory card, however I assume everything is working normally.
The MB was repaired some time ago by replacing two electrolytic capacitors with recovery capacitors of the same capacity and voltage, those used are 1000uF 6.3V OSTs (normally having new ones I would have used Rubycon or other branded capacitors), unfortunately the original ones were swollen and with high ESR, one 13.8ohm and the other 23.1ohm and then they were at a loss (undetectable capacity).

Currently there is no sound card and if necessary that LAN, I have to choose from the ones I have but I think I use PCI cards.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB