VOGONS

Why are old PCs considered lame and boring?

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 144, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

The Amiga was nice for platform games, but once VGA came around adventure, RTS, and really anything non platform was better on the PC. Having a cheap HD also made life nicer on the PC side. People say DOOM put the nail in Amiga's coffin but I think it came much earlier then that.

Mmmmm... Possible. I remember when PC games began to get better than the Amiga version.
At first it was only like 2% or 5% of all games, starting around some 1989/90'ish.
True that when Doom came, Amiga kind of lost the edge. Yeah... FPS was all the rage back then.
One fine example of early game, that are better on PC compared to Amiga, is Syndicate.
The settlers are like equal on both platforms. One has better sound, the other has better gfx.

Recently I got my first Amiga since I sold my 1200 in 2006. So I am a happy champ, having access
to this wonderfull platform once again. Now I can play those titles that are better on the Amiga.
Got an C64 too this year, so now I can play more titles that are better on the C64 compared to PC.

Here I am thinking of titles like Rick Dangerous and Winther Games. Actually all the games titles
from Epyx are way better on the C64 than on the PC.

Shure the Amiga is a solid platform, and it can still do a couple of things, that PC's can not do.
I am thinking of the Ram disk. On the Amiga, the Ramdisk is dynamic...
The size will automatically increase or decrease depending on what is actually placed or deleted.
This is something that other "home computers" have never managed to deliver other than Amiga.
And again... Who is using things such as a freaking Ramdisk these day's? 🤣

Last edited by brostenen on 2017-08-27, 22:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 141 of 144, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

Why would anyone in their right mind build a 386-Pentium machine if dosbox can do it all and more on a modern i7 machine?
To re-live the experience of course.

All is not about games. There are also hardware, expansion boards which are rather expensive investments and thus not selfexplanatory to just throw-away-buy-new. OR selfmade hardware. Llike mine! Even 286 has the ISA slots for my own built hardware expansion cards but the i7 machine does not have. Now the machines does not have enough PCI buses even and LPT port is gone too.
Also what about the programs which access the ports which are supposed to be there (MIDI) ? Talking about the FastTracker 2 here when it is used through MIDI port.

thus on certain tasks the i7 machine is impractical and much more costsome thus would need serious investments for my work in order to make THE SAME function on the modern machine, while on the 486 which is optimum for me, I made everything fast, and next to nothing.

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 142 of 144, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
AGA didn't really offer much new in terms of functionality over OCS. it was mainly slightly faster than OCS, enabled more colour […]
Show full quote
amadeus777999 wrote:

Later Amigas had AGA but for certain actions the pixel drawing speed was most likely too slow and I have no idea if they had hardware support for features which may have filled aforementioned functionality void.
Would be interesting to hear a take on that from experienced Amiga coders!

AGA didn't really offer much new in terms of functionality over OCS.
it was mainly slightly faster than OCS, enabled more colours, and slightly more advanced sprites. But that's about it.
It was still planar graphics, not very suitable for 'chunky' effects like 3d texture mapping and such.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Reply 143 of 144, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:
Errius wrote:

The arrival of Doom in 1993 was a major event. PC gaming before Doom was sad.

Have to agree with that - at least in the light of "real time" and "intuitive action".

Eh I'm not sure I can agree. I get what you're aiming at but Doom was released at the end of 1993 and while that was the time I discovered PC gaming myself, I didn't play Doom until many months later and I was hooked by plenty of other games that played really well:

- Lemmings
- all Lucas Arts adventures (which were DOS first, don't forget!)
- Dune 2
- Alone in the Dark
- Prince of Persia
- Syndicate (DOS version is superior to the Amiga because of its gorgeous VESA graphics letting you see much further ahead)
- Star Wars X Wing
- many Sierra games (Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry 5, etc.)
- 7th Guest
- Lure of the Temptress
etc. etc. etc.

These games all fit the bill and were all major classics.

If you said Doom pushed the PC into the mainstream view, then you'd be absolutely correct. It was the first big market game that got the PC mentioned in every corner of the world since Doom did not have any other platform to really play it on while being a nice arcade-y game that would appeal to everyone.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 144 of 144, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would think that maybe what changed from those old times to nowdays is what people generally expect from technology and their use. Imho the usual consumer that have never seen a 486 and use them now would be bored not only cause they'd probably not know what to do with it but also cause they'd probably expect flashing stars, smooth animation, billions of colors and someway it's required to be amazed without patience.
The amount of patience and the possibility to enjoy not only few graphic advantages but also optimization and the artistic effort of the games in both plot, sound, gfx side.
Same thing you can see on the nowdays smartphone technology were people think it's impossible to use an old gsm phone.