VOGONS

First post, by motley6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aside from actually using them, I appreciate vintage computers from an aesthetic viewpoint as well. Most American manufacturers didn't seem to care about industrial design, but there were a lot of cool looking units from Japanese and Euro companies. I always thought the Sharp x68000 looked cool as hell. Those dual slot load 5.25 floppy drives are awesome.

myx68000xvi4.jpg

I like this Olivetti 286 computer with the two-tone beige and grille on the left side.

20e7afec7d235f74ad082c469030bc58.jpg

Reply 1 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that Sharp is incredible...

I definitely appreciate the look of older systems as well. For some reason I really like the look of the old Atari 130XE.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … Atari-130XE.jpg

Probably because I had one and sent it to goodwill long before I cared about vintage systems... *cries*

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is not a computer, but rather a 5 1/4 disk drive--the Indus GT. Perhaps the coolest looking floppy drive ever. My brother had one for his 8-bit Atari computers.

indus1.jpg
Filename
indus1.jpg
File size
6.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
indus2.jpg
Filename
indus2.jpg
File size
28.09 KiB
Views
File license

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

This is not a computer, but rather a 5 1/4 disk drive--the Indus GT. Perhaps the coolest looking floppy drive ever. My brother had one for his 8-bit Atari computers.

indus1.jpg
indus2.jpg

ARGHH...

Don't even remind me. The Atari 130XE I mentioned above had one of those with it... now the drive alone is worth over $100. 😵

Reply 8 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm no Apple fanboy by any means but my vote goes to the NeXT Cube (the one Tim Berners-Lee used to invent the web) and its successor, the Power Mac G4 Cube. Both stand out for me as unique offerings to the history of PC aesthetics:

nextcube.jpg
Filename
nextcube.jpg
File size
32.96 KiB
Views
File license
cubeprok.jpg
Filename
cubeprok.jpg
File size
82.06 KiB
Views
File license

Also, that 486 Standard Def Steve found recently:

NsFqSku.jpg
Filename
NsFqSku.jpg
File size
198.19 KiB
Views
File license

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9 of 27, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't own one nor have I ever seen one in person, but the Apricot Portable PC from 1984 is sure quite snazzy looking IMO, especially with the wireless keyboard and the fact that it includes voice command functionality.

Not my picture.

apricotportable2small.jpg
Filename
apricotportable2small.jpg
File size
182.2 KiB
Views
File license
Half-Saint wrote:

Amstrad PPC 512 is one cool looking PC, if you ask me 😀

I own a PPC 640. Same form factor, just a different color. I think it is an interesting little critter, but to be completely honest I think it looks more weird than cool. That said, it is the only truly portable computer I know of (Capable of running off battery) that includes a full-size desktop-style keyboard, which is definitely a benefit...even if it does contribute to its awkward form factor.

Terrible screen though. Awful horrible screen. Try taking a picture of the thing running and you'll agree. 🤣

Reply 11 of 27, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if this counts, because technically it's an arcade machine, and it's discrete logic rather than microprocessor-controlled, but other than that, the Computer Space cabinet looks ossom!
Nutting-ComputerSpace-Yellow-Restored2.JPG

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 13 of 27, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1024px-SGI_O2-IMG_7208.jpg

computers.jpg

Sgi_crimson.jpg

You can hardly beat the coolness factor of the SGI workstations. Ignore the Macs in the corner. 😀

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 14 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

Not sure if this counts, because technically it's an arcade machine, and it's discrete logic rather than microprocessor-controlled, but other than that, the Computer Space cabinet looks ossom!

I like the ashtray hole in the side. You don't see that any more in arcades.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 27, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like also this old vintage HP computer. Last year, i saw this old HP computer, somebody else selling this on ebay (germany).

Don't know about the status, if it was running, but it was really huge, you need a Pick-up truck or transporter for moving 😊

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_250

Attachments

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 16 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^^
this!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 19 of 27, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ugh... I had an SGI Indigo 2 that was given to me, and I had no idea what to do with it... I let someone borrow it to look at it and then they left town without ever giving it back.

As far as I know it was loaded too, as the person who gave it to me had several and they were all decked out.. Probably worth a lot of money now, like most things I've gotten rid of in the past 15 years...