VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The number 1GB means a lot to me and no matter how I try to compare it to modern technology it still feels like a HUGE amount of data to me.

I keep a small collection of 1GB MMC cards (thinner, half-sized, pre-SD cards) which I always get a kick out of holding as a pile in my hands and gushing about "omg much data. such size" despite knowing that, even in a retro PC, I'll never actually use them since there are plenty of better alternatives.

I also get a kick out of removing the retention clip on the MMC cards, cutting the dimensions of the 1GB monster in half. Then reattaching it and repeating the process. Haha.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the original Zip 100 and 1GB Jaz disks but the sheer size of these iddy biddy widdle cards! I love them so. 😀

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2016-06-06, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My external ZIP 750MB drive. It was never used, came with all the packaging and with plenty disks (also new in packages).
Because I have only one, I might get used to it and when it decides to die on me, I will have a tough time replacing it.

I still use my ZIP 250MB drive though, because I think it looks cool and the ZIP 750 drive makes a sound I find more annoying.

I'm not absolutely sure I'll never use it though, but parts I have and will probably never use, include:
- Action Media II board (old TV card that doesn't even have drivers for 95. With daughterboard, without the RAM upgrade and without any of its original cabling)
- Most of my spare parts will never get used.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a small stack of Intel-branded Bt848 PCI video capture cards. Probably made for an OEM, as they have no tuner (only S-video and RCA inputs) and I could never find drivers for them for any version of Windows. I tried many Bt848 drivers but none recognize these cards - IIRC the PCI ID is slightly off. I was able to make them work (sorta) in Linux with generic v4l driver. I can't imagine a scenario where I'd need to use one to capture analog video (especially since I have a few branded Bt848 cards that do have drivers). But I also know that I'll never throw them away.

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-06-06, 20:57. Edited 2 times in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 31, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always loved how cool Zip/Jaz drives looked when you stacked them on top of each other. When I got my first 100MB Zip drive, my entire hard drive amount to only 250MB.

A couple years ago I recovered files from my old disks including saves from games like Warcraft II and Quake. Gonna load them up and check them some day. Some day..

Reply 4 of 31, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Genoa 8500VL (Cirrus Logic VLB) and I don't own a single VLB mainboard. I suppose one day if circumstances change I may source the components for a 486 VLB system, but it's not looking like that will happen anytime soon.

Where did it come from? Last summer I visited my mom and found the card in my old bedroom. I obviously owned it at some point in my young adulthood. 😀

I hang onto it as a keepsake, plus you never know...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 31, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess the majority of my collection is likely to remain unused as i have crates and crates stored in many places. One of my original unused (now) retro items is my original 486DX2-50 chip from our first pc. I think the years of abuse it suffered (including an overclock to 80mhz) means its retirement is well deserved but i still keep it around 😀

Reply 6 of 31, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first Pentium processors 75-133, because I don`t have any board for them, but I keep them all and also anothers forever 😀 And I propably never use SoundBlaster 128 PCI, I don`t like AdLib emulation on that card.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 7 of 31, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still have my original cartridge copy of Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. However, this is the most fiddly NES cart in my entire collection and I can't get it to actually work. I have a separate copy that works reliably when I want to actually play the game 😀

But it is the first video game I owned, so it's nice to still have it.

I also have a 512 MB Memory stick Pro duo sitting around. It's lime green! It's... probably never going to get used 😁

I also have an original model Game Boy and a Game Boy Pocket to round out my handheld console collection. But I probably would only use the GBC or GBA to actually play Game Boy games.

And don't get me started on the cables drawer/parts basket. PS2 to AT keyboard adaptor? DVI to VGA? USB Device cables? Firewire? Telephone cable? I don't know why I keep some of this stuff.

Reply 8 of 31, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an empty, and opened (but still mostly wrapped in plastic) box for River City Ransom for the NES.

I also have a graphics card collection. Lets face it... they are largely useless. As much as I enjoy collecting them, I could have maybe 6 or 8 cards and not be missing out on any games or features. Instead I have dozens. I plan to sell through them eventually, but they are just so cool to look and and hold. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of firewire, I have a very early firewire PCI card from the 1995 era when the standard was not completely done; it has only 1 port and cannot transfer data at more than 100Mbps. I'll never use it again (especially now that firewire is practically dead) but I'm keeping it as a curiosity.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 10 of 31, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My first modem, a US robotics sportster 33.6 Modem, it has no practical purpose but it was the first one my family owned.

Reply 12 of 31, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is currently in storage, but I have one of those translucent blue Sony Memory Stick Pro cards (The full-size one, not the Duo). I never have and likely never will own a device that uses them. Instead, I grabbed it for the sole reason that it most closely resembles the Isolinear Chips from Star Trek, and it made my inner Trekker nerd happy. 🤣

B_7qefaUUAAkZp3.jpg
Filename
B_7qefaUUAAkZp3.jpg
File size
26.12 KiB
Views
File comment
Memory Stick
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
B_7qemZUgAAmb2Z.jpg
Filename
B_7qemZUgAAmb2Z.jpg
File size
19.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Isolinear Chips
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 31, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like others have said, it is Zip disks/drives for me too. I LOVED them back in the day, about 18 -20 years ago.

I always manage to convince myself that "this retro PC needs a ZIP drive" and "one day, I'll get to putting all of my necessity retro build files on ZIP disks - that will make it easy and cool".

I have dozens of disks, several have never been used, and I have an unopened 10-pack.

Meanwhile, here I am, burning CDs and using flash drives all the time. But the lure of the ZIPs is strong...

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 14 of 31, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Netcomm 2400bps modem.
fs-252.jpg
Was already 2nd hand when I got it, think 28.8 modems were around, 33.6 definitely were not though.
Used it on BBS's but main reason I'll hold onto it is because its a good Aussie brand and would have cost a packet originally.

I actually use my (external) ZIP/Jazz drives! Not often but every now and then to copy files between PC's if network, floppy, CD's are playing up

Reply 15 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
petro89 wrote:
Like others have said, it is Zip disks/drives for me too. I LOVED them back in the day, about 18 -20 years ago. […]
Show full quote

Like others have said, it is Zip disks/drives for me too. I LOVED them back in the day, about 18 -20 years ago.

I always manage to convince myself that "this retro PC needs a ZIP drive" and "one day, I'll get to putting all of my necessity retro build files on ZIP disks - that will make it easy and cool".

I have dozens of disks, several have never been used, and I have an unopened 10-pack.

Meanwhile, here I am, burning CDs and using flash drives all the time. But the lure of the ZIPs is strong...

With the USB ones, I actually find it practical to use USB ZIP drives and ZIP disks over CDROM because they are erasable (I haven't bothered with rewritable CDROM for ages now) and are, to me, actually part of the experience! 😁

And most stuff will easily fit onto a 100MB or 250MB disk.

And this way I can keep using all my USB flash drives for my more modern computer-related stuff, so I won't even mix any up by accident.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 31, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Zip drives of any kind have been on my "do not touch with a 10-foot pole" list for more than 10 years. I have had really bad luck with them. I must have used at least 10 units (mostly at work, but I also owned 3 or 4 at home) of various types (parallel, IDE, SCSI). They all died, without exception, within 6 months with the click-of-death. And resulting in irreparable data loss in several cases. No zip drives for me ever again.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 17 of 31, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
torindkflt wrote:

It is currently in storage, but I have one of those translucent blue Sony Memory Stick Pro cards (The full-size one, not the Duo). I never have and likely never will own a device that uses them.

I would grab a compact memory stick reader and start using them as general purpose USB drives.

I'd follow my own advice with my Memory Stick Pro Duo, except I have enough USB drives already 😐. And 512 MB isn't even enough for a Linux installer.

Reply 18 of 31, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Matrox E-VDP.

100_2367.jpg

The idea of a 286 machine with a laserdisc player sounds cool and moreso when the onboard graphics allows for you to overlay the video output on the VGA signal and control it with a lightpen.
Two problems however. The first is that the super special video card isn't detected by the BIOS no matter how much I troubleshooted it so it has no proper video output. The second is that even when you kludge in another video card you'll discover the super proprietary software that you cannot find anywhere because Matrox denies they ever made this and I seem to own the second one still in existance is not actually on the hard drive. The drive is there and it works but it was formatted. Okay, so see what unformat does. Nope. Someone put a fresh install on the system and then a few junk programs like Family Tree Maker and Print Shop so the priceless things like the drivers and programs have long since been overwritten.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 19 of 31, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a SS7 MII 366-GP. I'll never use it because when I make a SS7 build I will likely use some variety of K6.

I have a 566MHz Coppermine-128 Celeron. Any S370 machines that I'll run that are capable of running CuMines will probably be running a Pentium III 1GHz or better.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE