VOGONS

First post, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone!

Thanks to the notification by BSA Starfire I've acquired a really weird piece of retro hardware - Sharedware Savage!

front side (with VIA keyboard/mouse controller)
weVQUWVm.jpg
front side (with Winbond keyboard/mouse controller)
X378yH9m.jpg
back side
kYaOIkqm.jpg
bracket
37DX9S2m.gif
box
REy86q3m.jpg

Despite several reviews written back then, the technology has not made it widely to the market. There might be different reasons for that, one being the lackluster performance of the video core used there (S3 Savage3D), second being the dot-com bubble, etc.
Nevertheless, the card itself represents a great example of technology that could pass the prototype stage and get released (although in small quantities as evidenced by low number of Google results for the card itself as well as the deals involving second-hand items).
I'd like to share the information that I've been able to collect before the package arrived (and I have to admit that I won't put my hands on it in the next few years due to my moving, leaving the package behind at my parents' place).

So, the card is the second known device based on ESS Agogo-XP while the first one is much more known and acknowledged Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic (PowerVR PCX2 + Tseng Labs ET6100 + ESS Agogo-XP). I haven't found any other examples of cards with this chip. It is basically a ESS Maestro-1 soundchip with an added PCI-PCI bridge for additional integration of other devices (mostly video chipsets as evidenced by the two known examples). However this '97 press-release by ESS states other possible applications:
"AGOGO-XP PCI audio accelerator is targeted at multimedia add-in card vendors and features an embedded PCI 2.1-compliant PCI-to-PCI bridge that will support the addition of up to ten other devices on a multimedia accelerator card. Graphics accelerators, DVD, video capture/conferencing, ISDN, modems, FireWire, USB technology or any other PCI-based device could be combined with the AGOGO-XP on a single add-in card. The AGOGO-XP is shipping in production quantities now. The AGOGO- XP is priced at $28.00 in quantities of 10,000."
Both known cards added video to the sound provided by the ESS Agogo-XP, producing a complete multimedia solution. While Videologic put 2 separate devices with separate RAM (thanks to its affiliation with the PowerVR), Sharedware opted for an integrated 2D/3D core (S3 Savage3D) with 8 Mb of RAM.

What makes it really different is that it is not intended to be the primary sound/video card. It is meant for creating second console on the same PC - with a second user working simultaneously on the same computer, that being possible on the Windows 9x platform thanks to Applica technology implemented in the drivers and an onboard keyboard/mouse controller by VIA or Winbond (perhaps, other vendors also participated, but that can't be confirmed by any pictures available on the net). That's been another luck for me that someone uploaded the last driver package to the DriverGuide - otherwise I would have never been able to get the device working (at least, for its original 'secondary' purpose). What's even more interesting is that its drivers also create a virtual network for deathmatch rounds between both users! And even more - multiple Sharedware Savage cards can be installed increasing the total amount of users to 5 (one primary + 4 Sharedware consoles)! It's unbelievable how great can be some technologies that have been buried in oblivion!..

While praying to win the listing, I've collected all available software (modded the original Sharedware by including the most recent files from S3, uploaded to VogonsDrivers, please explore if interested) and read all available reviews:
http://www.hardware-one.com/print_review.asp?reviews=174 (main English article)
http://www.ibik.ru/ru/pci-card (Russian translation of an article from http://www.gamepc.com)
http://www.chip.de/artikel/SharedWare-Savage_12806050.html (German)
http://cooler-online.com/cl300599.html (Russian again)
http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/06/03/two-players-on-one-pc (news)

So, what I'm planning to do when I finally get the card is trying to make it function as a primary sound/video card. In order to achieve that an S3 Savage3D VGA BIOS has to be embedded as an option ROM into the system ROM BIOS image. If that proves to work, I'll think about a hardware mod - if you look closely at the PCB, you'll notice 3 unused solder spots for a PLCC ROM and 2 chips to drive it. And as noname S3 Savage3D are still somewhat available for low prices, we'll have a donor for that 😀

Stay tuned 😁

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 1 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've not seen one of these before. It's so cool. Congrats! I'd have bought it just for the novelty if I'd have caught it. 😀

Please investigate the card and report as much information as you can on its native capabilities and what it needs for normal operation before you go hard modding it.

Reply 3 of 6, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote:

Please investigate the card and report as much information as you can on its native capabilities and what it needs for normal operation before you go hard modding it.

Sure! The main problem is that I'll be able to physically get the card not earlier than next year.
And I won't do any hardware mod unless I'm 100% sure that it will add some more features without hampering its original functionality and intended purpose. That's why I will play with the option ROMs in the main system BIOS first before soldering a ROM on the card directly.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 2nd console sounds very interesting. Didn't know such things existed for standard PC's. Look forward to see how well it really does

Reply 5 of 6, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hard1k wrote:

So, the card is the second known device based on ESS Agogo-XP while the first one is much more known and acknowledged Videologic Apocalypse 5D Sonic (PowerVR PCX2 + Tseng Labs ET6100 + ESS Agogo-XP). I haven't found any other examples of cards with this chip. It is basically a ESS Maestro-1 soundchip with an added PCI-PCI bridge for additional integration of other devices (mostly video chipsets as evidenced by the two known examples). However this '97 press-release by ESS states other possible applications:
"AGOGO-XP PCI audio accelerator is targeted at multimedia add-in card vendors and features an embedded PCI 2.1-compliant PCI-to-PCI bridge that will support the addition of up to ten other devices on a multimedia accelerator card. Graphics accelerators, DVD, video capture/conferencing, ISDN, modems, FireWire, USB technology or any other PCI-based device could be combined with the AGOGO-XP on a single add-in card. The AGOGO-XP is shipping in production quantities now. The AGOGO- XP is priced at $28.00 in quantities of 10,000."
Both known cards added video to the sound provided by the ESS Agogo-XP, producing a complete multimedia solution. While Videologic put 2 separate devices with separate RAM (thanks to its affiliation with the PowerVR), Sharedware opted for an integrated 2D/3D core (S3 Savage3D) with 8 Mb of RAM.

Hi,

i found third device with the ESS Agogo-XP chip:
Asus PCI-AXP201
Yes, it is simple PCI sound card without bridge to different PCI device.
When i googled i found only photos of cards with ESS MAESTRO-1 chip.
But in PDF manual is pictured card with Agogo-XP chip
And card name Asus PCI-AXP201 can mean "Agogo-XP"

It looks to be the Agogo-XP chip is pin compatible with Maestro-1 (which missing PCI-PCI bridge)
And Agogo-XP supports same RAM upgradeability as Maestro-1: Socket for 2MB DRAM and sockets for 4x 128k SRAM chips.
I don´t have the Solo-1 nor Agogo card and still don´t know why sound card with fast PCI interface need 2MB DRAM and what the hell need optional 512kB of SRAM 😀