VOGONS

First post, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I have the SC-55 connected to the gameport but I still have the Dreamblaster S1 connected to the header inside.
How do you disable the Header MPU-401 without removing it?

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 2 of 16, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks.

Another question, when I use the SCC-1 Utility to reset the SC-55 using the "scmode gs" command it says "Could not open MIDI Interface" but in dosbox it works alright.
There is also no midi in Worlds of Xeen but in dosbox there is.

Is there something I need to configure besides just plugging the SC-55 with the game port?
* Doom, Duke3D, Warcraft 2, play midi fine; it's only Xeen that doesn't.

PS.
I'm using the Yamaha YMF719E sound card with OPL3SAX utility.

Last edited by James-F on 2016-06-09, 15:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice seeing you playing with real hardware.

I don't know about Xeen, but yes, you connect the game-port into the MIDI-IN of the SC-55 and that's it 😀

The SC-55 has buttons for GS / MT-32 reset, but I'm sure you know all about that.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 16, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks Phil.
I just wonder why SCC-1 Utility doesn't work with the real hardware whether in dosbox it is.
It is very comfy to run a .bat file to reset the SC-55 instead of reaching to the front panel.

Reply 5 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea not sure, seems a bit odd. The DOSBox interface is intelligent mode compatible, so maybe that has something to do with it?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SCC-1 utility works fine with other Roland MPUs and (at least) the Musiq Quest ones - so I believe it checks for more than an UART MPU401 port.

But all is not lost, look here: Re: DOS/win utilities to get the most out of MIDI hardware? , there are some .bat files with all kinds of resets and further down jwt27 posted his program MIDICON that does all sorts of things. So one of these would solve the reset issue 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 16, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks keropi.

I disabled the "intelligent" mode in dosbox and got a "Could not open MIDI Interface" like on the real machine, so it indeed needs more than UART.
The DUMP batch files also don't work.
It appears that all these are made for an Intelligent MPU-401 port or the real Roland MPU-401 hardware.

It may be that these software searching for IRQ 2/9, but the Yamaha MPU-401 is on IRQ 5?

EDIT:
Changed the IRQ to 2/9, installed SoftMPU...Nothing,
SCC-1 Utility or the Dump utility cannot send a sysex to the SC-55.
But Doom sends the GM Reset SysEX command when I start it, no problem.

Reply 8 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh... I assumed that at least dump would work 🙁
what about a .mid that only sends a reset sysex ? does playmid.exe (available here: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ultimate-rola … 2-tutorial.html ) work ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 16, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you.
It does, but only when the Sound Card address is at 240.... very peculiar.
I'm going to further investigate the matter.

EDIT
The only player that truly worked without fuss is DOSmid.
DOSMid - an open-source MIDI player for DOS

Thank you all.

Reply 10 of 16, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So is it confirmed that there's no way to temporarily disable or mute the dreamblaster?

I have an S2 connected to my ESS 1868f which is great, but it'd be nice to have the option to use my MT-32 on the gameport without having to mute the sound card.

Reply 12 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ESSVOL.EXE /M:0 should disable the MIDI volume to 0. This should not affect the MIDI coming out of the gameport, so if you route the external MIDI device back to the card's Line In (whhich should have its volume turned on, obviously: ESSVOL.ESE /L:8) then it should work.

Simple BAT file for you that will switch between the two.

SETMIDI.BAT

IF %1=="WB" GOTO WB
IF %1=="MPU" GOTO MPU

ECHO "Incorrect parameter, please use WB or MPU (i.e. SETMIDI WB)"
GOTO END

:WB
C:\AUDIODRV\ESSVOL.EXE /M:8 /L:0
GOTO END

:MPU
C:\AUDIODRV\ESSVOL.EXE /M:0 /L:8
GOTO END

:END

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 16, by justajeffy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That'd be fantastic. With the essvol.exe that I have (1.4), the /M parameter is for the Mic volume. Is there a different version of essvol that I should be using?

Reply 16 of 16, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've based the BATCH file on the DOC here: http://www.tenorman.info/assets/pc/es1869f%2B … 689f/ESSCFG.DOC

This states /M is for MIDI, this may be different for different versions of ESSVOL for different chipsets. Run the ESSVOL you have and check, and modify accordingly.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.