Xi 8088 by Segey Kiselev

Topic actions

Reply 580 of 613, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-12-16, 21:41:

Did bloody cactus, keenerb or smbaker ever get their xi 8088 stable? I'd like to build one but after reading this thread I'm hesitant

I did not, but I didnt' spend much time on it after I built my micro8088.

Reply 582 of 613, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did not get it stable either. I gave up. I think there is something intrinsically wrong with the timing or something that worked for the chips Sergey had when he designed it.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 584 of 613, by Peter Vincent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have finished making the Micro ATX ISA Backplane and the Xi 8088 boards. The backplane appears to be fine and is being by a brand new 300W power supply. When I plug the CPU board in and switch on, as soon as I press the power button the backplane LEDs come on briefly then dim out to zilch. I had a 8087 mounted so I have removed that but it makes no difference. I have tried a couple of other ISA cards (Trident VGA and the XT-CF-Lite) and when powered on with both of these inserted, the power supply is fine.

So something is seriously wrong with the Xi 8088 board - but the question is what? I have examined soldering under a gigantic magnifying glass, and everything looks good visually at least, and have checked all the right chips are in the right places and the right way around. I was expecting some problems, but not completely dead.

Anyone got any suggestions where to start looking? Otherwise I will try and check power lines for shorts in the morning, but I would have expected something worse to happen if that was the case.

Reply 585 of 613, by Peter Vincent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peter Vincent wrote on 2020-12-18, 22:00:

I have finished making the Micro ATX ISA Backplane and the Xi 8088 boards. The backplane appears to be fine and is being by a brand new 300W power supply. When I plug the CPU board in and switch on, as soon as I press the power button the backplane LEDs come on briefly then dim out to zilch...

Turns out I made the same mistake other people have, which was to jumper the speaker so that 5V and GND were shorted! Fortunately for me the fuse F1 was cutting the power like it is supposed to, hence my symptoms. Everything back on board now, and power is OK but LEDs stay in 00, which will need a little probing tomorrow.

Reply 587 of 613, by Yftul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sander wrote on 2021-04-01, 13:59:

Would love to get my hands on a FE2010A. I'm based in Europe/Netherlands anyone here willing to sell me one?

I got my fe2010a at aliexpress, looks it still available here.

Attachments

Reply 588 of 613, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!
I am trying to build my xi8088.
I've bought almost all the integrated circuits and the 82xx series were the first ones, as well as the V20. As at the time I bought these I didn't have much knowledge, I will have to buy some again because I want the system working at least 8 Mhz.
As I don't want to make the same mistake again and lose more money, I would like those who have already assembled and obtained success running on 8Mhz, could you give me some advice.
I'm not a professional in this area, just a hobbyist and collector of some old computers, and with some knowledge of electronics.
I think the critical point is the integrated 82c88, 82c37 and 82c59. The first two I bought the 8288 and 8237 so I will have to buy them again, but the problem is that they have several suffixes and brands which leaves me lost, in addition to the expensive price. I even thought about using a CS82C37A PLCC-44 and making a DIP adapter. As for the 82c88, there's the:
UMC82c88-10,
M82C88-2 OKI,
CP82c88, etc.
It's really hard! What was your experience?

Reply 589 of 613, by LarryL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

although the last post herein is quite old, is anybody still working on these builds?
I am actually building this system myself - quite successfully, so far
Micro 8088, Xi 8088, FDC, XT-IDE, 8bit and 16bit backplane - all working quite well
Did not do very extensive testing so far - will be interesting, if I encounter similar stability problems, like the others

cheers
Michael

"We’re on a mission from God…." ("Joliet" Jake & Elwood Blues)
https://vintagecomputerstuff.de/

Reply 590 of 613, by LarryL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EduardoHF wrote on 2021-08-02, 18:24:
UMC82c88-10, M82C88-2 OKI, CP82c88, etc. It's really hard! What was your experience? […]
Show full quote

UMC82c88-10,
M82C88-2 OKI,
CP82c88, etc.

I think they are "all the same", at least compatible
In my build, I am using mostly CMOS variants of the "special chips", except for 8288 and 8284
Working quite well, so far

Reply 591 of 613, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LarryL wrote on 2022-03-23, 09:32:
I think they are "all the same", at least compatible In my build, I am using mostly CMOS variants of the "special chips", except […]
Show full quote
EduardoHF wrote on 2021-08-02, 18:24:
UMC82c88-10, M82C88-2 OKI, CP82c88, etc. It's really hard! What was your experience? […]
Show full quote

UMC82c88-10,
M82C88-2 OKI,
CP82c88, etc.

I think they are "all the same", at least compatible
In my build, I am using mostly CMOS variants of the "special chips", except for 8288 and 8284
Working quite well, so far

Hi Larry!
Glad you're having success with these!
For me the best version is the XI-8088 because it is very similar to the old XT.
Unfortunately I don't have time to finish the assembly, but I'm really never going to give up on this project! It seems that many here have lost interest in this one, but I have not. And for me it's also a way to learn a little more. I even printed out the entire electronic circuit on a big piece of paper, and I'm making the connections traced in pen.
I've already assembled the floppy and CF card controller boards, but I haven't tested them yet.
Post some pictures of your project!
Greetings

Reply 592 of 613, by LarryL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EduardoHF wrote on 2022-03-23, 13:13:
Hi Larry! Glad you're having success with these! For me the best version is the XI-8088 because it is very similar to the old […]
Show full quote

Hi Larry!
For me the best version is the XI-8088 because it is very similar to the old XT.
Unfortunately I don't have time to finish the assembly, but I'm really never going to give up on this project! It seems that many here have lost interest in this one, but I have not. And for me it's also a way to learn a little more. I even printed out the entire electronic circuit on a big piece of paper, and I'm making the connections traced in pen.
I've already assembled the floppy and CF card controller boards, but I haven't tested them yet.
Greetings

Hi Eduardo,
Yeah - never give up! 😀

Attached a few photos

Attachments

Reply 593 of 613, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LarryL wrote on 2022-03-23, 18:00:
Hi Eduardo, Yeah - never give up! :-) […]
Show full quote
EduardoHF wrote on 2022-03-23, 13:13:
Hi Larry! Glad you're having success with these! For me the best version is the XI-8088 because it is very similar to the old […]
Show full quote

Hi Larry!
Greetings

Hi Eduardo,
Yeah - never give up! 😀

Attached a few photos

very cool!!! And are you running any games?

Reply 594 of 613, by LarryL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
EduardoHF wrote on 2022-03-23, 23:20:

Sure, any recommendation for a good XT game?

I think I need to do some more tests first and have to add the OPL2 SoundCard - Games without sound would not be that cool 😎
And maybe I would need a Joystick, too…

Cheers
Michael

Reply 595 of 613, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LarryL wrote on 2022-03-24, 05:47:
Sure, any recommendation for a good XT game? […]
Show full quote
EduardoHF wrote on 2022-03-23, 23:20:

Sure, any recommendation for a good XT game?

I think I need to do some more tests first and have to add the OPL2 SoundCard - Games without sound would not be that cool 😎
And maybe I would need a Joystick, too…

Cheers
Michael

No, I don't have a recommendation, because my games are a little more current, but a while ago I downloaded several of them to play in the future. When I have free time, I turn on my PC and take notes of some and the website and post (free time is a rare thing now!).
When mine is assembled, I'm going to test a Creative Sound Blaster sound card, I have about 3 different ones and I read that someone had success with one, even though it's 16 bits. Maybe it's backwards compatible.
If I have success with games, I'm even thinking about building an old game machine type cabinet and putting it in my living room, just an idea (like the one in the photo). And for other games a little more recent from the 90's to play on my 486.
I apologize for any mistakes because although I live in the United States, it's not my native language, and sometimes goggle helps me!
Cheers
Eduardo

Attachments

Reply 596 of 613, by LarryL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice plan 👍
I have never had an XT before, so I need to do some research
When I have played games, I played Atari 😄

What mistakes? 😉 I am not a native speaker, too - I am from Germany and try to do my best…

Have fun!

Reply 597 of 613, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LarryL wrote on 2022-03-24, 15:15:
Nice plan 👍 I have never had an XT before, so I need to do some research When I have played games, I played Atari 😄 […]
Show full quote

Nice plan 👍
I have never had an XT before, so I need to do some research
When I have played games, I played Atari 😄

What mistakes? 😉 I am not a native speaker, too - I am from Germany and try to do my best…

Have fun!

Ok 👍😁
It was nice to talk and exchange some ideas with you! As soon as I have something else, I'll post it! God be with you!

Reply 599 of 613, by CodeAsm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yftul wrote on 2021-04-07, 14:52:
sander wrote on 2021-04-01, 13:59:

Would love to get my hands on a FE2010A. I'm based in Europe/Netherlands anyone here willing to sell me one?

I got my fe2010a at aliexpress, looks it still available here.

That feels like cheating. but maybe alott more stable if my xi8080 fails. Im guessing its mostly part incompatibility, timing issues. Im happy to have a logic analyzer, maybe i can figure out whats going on if mine doesnt work.

Im still intrested into building my own Xi 8080, but probably going to modify the circuit.

I like to program and solder stuff. reverse engineer and student is what i am