VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

Weird... I've always posted them like that with imgur... hang on, I'll reup them.

Tetrium wrote:

Looks like it's a P4P800 (it's mentioned between the PCI slots 😜).

Oh damn, I'm blind 🤣

Don't worry, happens to the best of us 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 34, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

Weird... I've always posted them like that with imgur... hang on, I'll reup them.

Edited post for pro-spec embedding 😉

Reminder: Re: My finally working "Project 98" computer !!!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 22 of 34, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I'll try to change the coin battery in the Asus aswell, let's see if then it will turn on…

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 24 of 34, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I changed the coin battery in the Asus and now it works !!!
No video from AGP cards though… why ?

Most important ones:

Reply 25 of 34, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Elia1995 wrote:

Default bios setting maybe? See if it initializes pci first for the display and change that setting to AGP. Sometimes that will prevent a motherboard from even picking up the AGP card for some reason.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 26 of 34, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:
Elia1995 wrote:

Default bios setting maybe? See if it initializes pci first for the display and change that setting to AGP. Sometimes that will prevent a motherboard from even picking up the AGP card for some reason.

Yeap. Many P4-era motherboards have the default video card set in BIOS to PCI. Try to reboot several times, or pop in a PCI video card and see what that does.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 27 of 34, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got some distorted video from an AGP Radeon 1200.
Any other AGP card doesn't give me any video.
I tried my S3 Virge (pci) and it only distorted the Pentium 4 logo but nothing else… weird

Most important ones:

Reply 28 of 34, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok guys, here are some news on this topic.

I got the Pentium 4 (Asus P4P800) motherboard to work perfectly well with the nVidia GeForce 7300GT AGP graphics card (I just didn't install the drivers because I was just testing it)... I then restarted the PC to enable the CD-ROM in the BIOS, I then heard some hissing noise and that's it, it started to not powering on again just like it was doing at the beginning... maybe a capacitor died ? Do you think that if I bring it to a computer repair and make them change all the capacitors it might work again ?

The Abit NF7, on the other hand, still turns on, powers on perfectly, very loudly and lightful... but I still get NO VIDEO with whatever card I use, I tried all of the AGP cards (except the S3 Trio, it has the things backwards because it's a 3.3v card, apparently), I also tried with the S3 Virge (PCI card) with every single PCI slot, no video with anything, it doesn't have any built-in VGA, so that's the best I could do...

Now I found an hardisk with a Windows XP installation from 5th January 2005, which probably was originally on either the Pentium 4 or this Abit NF7, it has some nVidia drivers which I ain't sure if are graphics card drivers or chipset (the Abit NF7 has an nVidia chipset !!!)... I'd love to pair that hardisk back with the motherboard I used it 11 years ago !!! It has a lot of stuff and installed games, the drivers already installed... it's basically a "plug and play" hardisk currently... just as long as I get one of those mobos to work.

Most important ones:

Reply 29 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
happycube wrote:

I think I see a buldged cap next to the AGP slot on the ABIT board... 🙁

You, sir, are correct!

Elia1995 wrote:

Ok guys, here are some news on this topic.
The Abit NF7, on the other hand, still turns on, powers on perfectly, very loudly and lightful... but I still get NO VIDEO with whatever card I use, I tried all of the AGP cards (except the S3 Trio, it has the things backwards because it's a 3.3v card, apparently), I also tried with the S3 Virge (PCI card) with every single PCI slot, no video with anything, it doesn't have any built-in VGA, so that's the best I could do...

Now I found an hardisk with a Windows XP installation from 5th January 2005, which probably was originally on either the Pentium 4 or this Abit NF7, it has some nVidia drivers which I ain't sure if are graphics card drivers or chipset (the Abit NF7 has an nVidia chipset !!!)... I'd love to pair that hardisk back with the motherboard I used it 11 years ago !!! It has a lot of stuff and installed games, the drivers already installed... it's basically a "plug and play" hardisk currently... just as long as I get one of those mobos to work.

Elia, there's indeed a bulged cap below the AGP slot of your Abit board. Maybe that has something to do with the issues you're currently having?

You have any idea what happened to your Intel rig? If it made a hissing noise, something definitely died and you should try to find the exact part that died (including the PSU).

Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 34, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no idea how to find the part that died, I looked over the entire board and I can't see anything strange, all the caps are perfect and none is bulged, I don't have any other Pentium 4 board to test the processor 😢

EDIT: ------------------ NEWS ------------------

I'm going to change the bulged cap of the Abit NF7 soon (hopefully next week), let's see if just changing that solved the issue with the motherboard not outputting any video...

Still no news on the P4P800 though, I don't see any bulged/leaking cap...

Most important ones:

Reply 31 of 34, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No news on the Abit NF7, it still powers on perfectly, makes a lot of fan noise with the cpu cooler, but still no video from AGP slot nor PCI slots (tried with the S3 Virge).

The P4P800 gets the power nicely, the LED on the board stays lit when it gets power from a PSU, but when I try to jump start it with the screwdriver, the CPU cooler fan makes an half inch move and stops...

I'm very concerned about these 2 motherboards because they're the only mobos I have with an AGP slot !!!

Most important ones:

Reply 32 of 34, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snayperskaya wrote:

I'd do a fully recap on any ABIT motherboard before using. They are known for using bad caps on almost all models.

Also, try cleaning the whole board with a brush and isopropyl alcohol (99%+). Old batteries should be removed too.

Not needed for abit NF7, AN7, and most newer socket A boards.

@OP - the "pop" was probably one of the mosfets.

Reply 33 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Elia1995 wrote:

No news on the Abit NF7, it still powers on perfectly, makes a lot of fan noise with the cpu cooler, but still no video from AGP slot nor PCI slots (tried with the S3 Virge).

The P4P800 gets the power nicely, the LED on the board stays lit when it gets power from a PSU, but when I try to jump start it with the screwdriver, the CPU cooler fan makes an half inch move and stops...

I'm very concerned about these 2 motherboards because they're the only mobos I have with an AGP slot !!!

Since you seem to have quite a bit of issues with many components simultaneously (and I hope this question is redundant), you are taking anti-static precautions I presume? No shorts under your motherboards when powering on?

Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 34, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I always test them on a cardboard.
(A motherboard box)

Most important ones: