VOGONS

Reply 100 of 121, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Panther was riddled with bugs. IIRC, there was also a bug when using long passwords and a bug with the CUPS printer system.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 101 of 121, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, no true disrespect. I just used USB and 56k for a long, long, long time. Never ran across Firewire until it was dead and gone. In my area top spead dial-up is still a top-end option for some unfortunate peoples.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 102 of 121, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've actually become a heavy user of FW only now that it's dying. Drobos are the reason. I have several of the older models and FW800 is the only way to get decent speed from them, since they don't support USB 3.0 or gigabit Ethernet.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 103 of 121, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got some Firewire drives just for older G4 Macs (notebooks mostly).

Anyone still using fiberchannel drives?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 105 of 121, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of all the stuff I have amassed over the years, dial up modems are the most useless. I keep them around to harvest small caps and other parts off of.. but I haven't actually used an internal modem ANYWHERE since maybe 2001.

I'm starting to also think that parallel cables with centronics connectors on one end are nearly useless as well, because as I find more and more vintage gear, I find more cables and nothing to use them on. I can't even remember the last time I saw a parallel printer... probably because consumer printers have been garbage for probably 20 years and everyone threw them away. The only parallel device I have owned in the past 15 years is a Linksys SCSI to Parallel adapter that came with an external 1x SCSI CDROM drive that takes caddies... and that adapter just uses a standard 25 pin connection, not a centronics.

To make it worse, they tend to be extremely bulky. I have one with a cord that is nearly 3/4 inch in diameter, and the cable is only like 5 feet long.... WHY?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 107 of 121, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never used any firewire drives, as I have never had any.
If HD-Loader on a Ps2 system, were FW compatible, I would have used that on my Ps2 fatt.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 108 of 121, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SRQ wrote:

Is there any use, outside of nostalgia or "this is a weird system' for the first-generation Pentium 4s? RDRAM is rare, runs hot, and is slower than DDR which came shortly after. Never scaled well against a Pentium III, and has worse DOS compat and older software compat to boot. Pentium 4 in general has always been a dead area for me but these in specific seem utterly useless.

E: Also I always have a TV tuner in at least one of my oldsystems so I can play the PS2 through it. With a good monitor it works great.
Really wish I could find a Win98/2K or even XP compat one with component in.

I like RD-Ram.... I really do. It's not a racehorse, by far.
What I like about it, is that combined with Intel-820 chipset, P3-500 and 256mb RD-Ram makes a quite stable system.
Mine has never had any issues at all. Yeah it is slow. It is just stable and a part of history.

Reply 109 of 121, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Old Matrox multi-monitor cards. I have a bunch of these I can't imagine ever using for their intended purpose.

Multi monitor cards, such as a Matrox G400 and G400-max are really good Win98 cards.
I love my 32mb G400 dual head. I value it as high as I value my V3-3500 (Compaq edition) and my 32mb TNT2-Ultra.

Reply 110 of 121, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone ever bothered with Creative 3D Blaster VLB?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 111 of 121, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

I like RD-Ram.... I really do. It's not a racehorse, by far.
What I like about it, is that combined with Intel-820 chipset, P3-500 and 256mb RD-Ram makes a quite stable system.
Mine has never had any issues at all. Yeah it is slow. It is just stable and a part of history.

My first P4 system ever was a Socket 423 wirh RDRAM... in 2016. Yeah, just built that last month. I had skipped all the P4 generation at the time. Went from P3 to Athlon XP and have been with AMD for my main desktop since (except for a short flirt with Sandy (Bridge 😀))
I like the S423 build a lot. Makes for a very good late DOS gaming machine. Haven't found yet anything that won't run on it.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 112 of 121, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:
Errius wrote:

Old Matrox multi-monitor cards. I have a bunch of these I can't imagine ever using for their intended purpose.

Multi monitor cards, such as a Matrox G400 and G400-max are really good Win98 cards.
I love my 32mb G400 dual head. I value it as high as I value my V3-3500 (Compaq edition) and my 32mb TNT2-Ultra.

Those are good cards, along with the G450. However the ones I'm thinking of are G100/G200 cards that are good for nothing but corporate multi-monitor setups. They're useless for gaming.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 113 of 121, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Zup wrote:

Why not using a null modem cable? Simpler, cheaper and faster than using two modems.

Because some systems have a modem, but not a serial or parallel port (and one of the systems may not be a PC but a console, e.g. Dreamcast)

Some DOS games only have modem support, but no support for null modem cable. What will happen if you try those with a null modem connection? The game will try to dial and wait for an answer, won't it?

Zup wrote:

That also applies to LS-120, superdisks and other drives. Although LS-120 was a great idea back in time, I wouldn't get it. I haven't any disk and getting disk will be expensive, so it would be sitting on a corner getting dust.

LS-120 is supposed to read normal floppy disk faster than actual floppy drives, it is also supposed to be better at reading bad disks. Also it is connected to IDE which would enable you to have more than two floppy drives.

Reply 115 of 121, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is funny, how one consideres something crap, and another seeks for it like hell. For example, I can't find 9 to 25 serial port adapter, internal SCSI 50-pin cable, ZIP disks and SCSI ZIP drive, LS-120 drive and media, Bernoulli Box with media, big SCSI and MFM drives etc... It is just unreal to find it these days, at least here.

Reply 116 of 121, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh gosh I just remembered, aren't LS-120 drives said to be reliable floppy disk readers as well? I intended to get some but completely forgot about it...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 117 of 121, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

LS-120 is supposed to read normal floppy disk faster than actual floppy drives, it is also supposed to be better at reading bad disks. Also it is connected to IDE which would enable you to have more than two floppy drives.

All true:

Re: Read/Write speeds for floppy alternatives.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 119 of 121, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Windows vista disc's

If we're getting into media, how about AOL CDs. 😁

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,