VOGONS

Reply 41 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-02, 00:44:

In the meantime, you should be able to get both working together by putting the MT-32 first in the chain, using its MIDI THRU to connect the SC-55.

Hey, this worked when I had the MIDI cable going from the thru in the MT-32 to the front port of the SC-55. I just need a longer cable to make it work normally (the cord I currently have is like six inches, way too short). Thank you!

If it has a spaceship in it, I will play it.

Reply 42 of 49, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At one point I chained maybe three or four synthesizers and found that the last one in the sequence had a noticable delay compared to the first.

Does anyone know if this is a thing? I would have thought that the MIDI THRU would be completely passive.

Reply 43 of 49, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Veloxi wrote on 2023-04-03, 19:20:

Hey, this worked when I had the MIDI cable going from the thru in the MT-32 to the front port of the SC-55. I just need a longer cable to make it work normally (the cord I currently have is like six inches, way too short). Thank you!

Nice!

Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-03, 19:24:

At one point I chained maybe three or four synthesizers and found that the last one in the sequence had a noticable delay compared to the first.

Does anyone know if this is a thing? I would have thought that the MIDI THRU would be completely passive.

Definitely a thing. In theory the THRU should be a straight through connection with negligible latency. In practice, with all the hardware variables in play, not so much.

Reply 44 of 49, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to instead split the output from a MIDI cable do that a single OUT connects to multiple INs? Is this safe to do, and will the signal reach multiple devices or will it become too degraded?

Reply 46 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

another option is the serdashop thru box - also works flawlessly
https://www.serdashop.com/MIDI-THRU-BOX

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 48 of 49, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-04-04, 00:43:

Wow. These are so expensive for a little box.

if you think that's bad you should see what mpu 105s go for now on ebay 😆

s-l1600.png
Filename
s-l1600.png
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 49 of 49, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a cool device. I think it would be better to keep all of the devices connected simultaneously. Otherwise the other devices that aren't selected could miss out on important information that will make the music play incorrectly when switching to them in the middle of the track. It makes more sense to use an audio switcher instead.