VOGONS

Reply 20 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ohhh, that looks great if I want to just play this through my speakers, but I also need to be able to record from this as well when I make videos for my YouTube channel, therefore I think I do need to use the sound card. 😒

I appreciate the advice though!

If it has a spaceship in it, I will play it.

Reply 21 of 49, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you require the use of Line in, consider feeding it with a mixer or stereo selector box. It will simplify the task of changing between devices.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

If you require the use of Line in, consider feeding it with a mixer or stereo selector box. It will simplify the task of changing between devices.

Hey, if I did that, could I still use one USB interface cable along with the midi thru setup, or would each unit need its own USB interface?

Reply 23 of 49, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As shown in the earlier diagram, you can daisy chain the midi cables and use one common midi output. This is a big reason to have an audio selector, as all the midi modules will be doing their best to interpret and play what's coming from your PC. They all have to be powered on to pass through midi data.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Veloxi wrote:

Ohhh, that looks great if I want to just play this through my speakers, but I also need to be able to record from this as well when I make videos for my YouTube channel, therefore I think I do need to use the sound card.

No problem, you have a "Control Room output" from the mixer which you connect to your Line-In and record your mix.

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
14.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 25 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:
Veloxi wrote:

Ohhh, that looks great if I want to just play this through my speakers, but I also need to be able to record from this as well when I make videos for my YouTube channel, therefore I think I do need to use the sound card.

No problem, you have a "Control Room output" from the mixer which you connect to your Line-In and record your mix.

1.png

Oh I see! That looks great! Do you have a mixer you could recommend?

Reply 26 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest Behringer 1002 (non FX, non USB), there is no need for a more expensive brand, they are all Chinese.
It's a very useful tool if you even plan to record with a professional microphone and mix various sources of sound to one output.

Reply 27 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
James-F wrote:

I suggest Behringer 1002 (non FX, non USB), there is no need for a more expensive brand, they are all Chinese.
It's a very useful tool if you even plan to record with a professional microphone and mix various sources of sound to one output.

Awesome! I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for an affordable model (or maybe a black friday sale or some such), as that is definitely something I do wanna do in the future. Thanks!

Reply 28 of 49, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To anyone who uses a modern PC with a DAW to record the audio of the retro PC:

Both the retro PC and the modern PC have a grounded power cable.
When you inter connect the computer using an audio cable (through mixer or not) you essentially creating a thing called ground loop.
This ground loop most often than not will create a buzz sound on the audio signal.
To eliminate this ground loop buzz while keeping the audio crystal clear I suggest using a thing called "ground loop isolator" from ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk … olator&_sacat=0

Any of them will do, they are basically two small 1:1 winding ratio audio transformers inside.
I have a couple when I'm interconnecting grounded audio equipment.

Reply 29 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So folks, the SC-55 arrived a few days ago, and the Daisy chain method works perfectly. It's a tad inelegant, sure, but it's cheaper and takes up less room than a separate mixer for the time being. Thanks so much for your help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZSI9FRYNx4

Reply 30 of 49, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to do the THRU method with my new SC-55 and I can't seem to get the THRU port to work with my MT32.

This is how it is connected:

Windows 10 PC -> Roland UM-ONE "To MIDI IN" cable -> SC55 MIDI IN -> SC55 MIDI THRU -> MT32 MIDI IN -> MT32 Output -> SC55 Input -> mixer\amp

I can hear the SC55 (it sounds beautiful!) but there is no activity on the MT32... it isn't showing any notes being triggered, and there is no sound. When I connect the UM-ONE directly to the MIDI IN on the MT32 it works perfectly fine with no other adjustments, running through the SC55's input to my amp.

Is there a way that the SC55 could be set to not use the THRU port right now? Are there any common problems with this method that I've missed? MIDI OUT on the SC55 doesn't seem to send anything to the MT32 either.

I think I've done a full reset on the SC55, so it shouldn't be an issue with old settings. I did the thing where you hold the instrument buttons while turning it on and it says "init all?", then hit ALL... I've also replaced the CR2032 battery and turned off the backup feature so that it resets on startup.

What could be happening here? I don't see anything at all in the manual about using the thru port, aside from the diagram showing that it exists.

EDIT: Oy... okay, so I thought I'd already tried this, but apparently only the REAR MIDI IN on the SC55 actually passes through the "THRU" port? That seems kind of lame. I had been using the front port to connect my UM ONE for use with my main PC (or with a midi instrument at some point), but intended to leave the rear MIDI IN connected to my DOS PC. What gives? Is this normal or is this something I can fix? I'd even be willing to modify the thing to make this work if that's possible.

If anyone who owns an SC-55 (non-MKII) could test to see if data sent to the front MIDI IN is passed to "THRU" on the rear, I'd appreciate it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 31 of 49, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

...apparently only the REAR MIDI IN on the SC55 actually passes through the "THRU" port?

That's correct. Roland didn't make this point clear until the release of SC-55mkII though, where it's actually mentioned in the manual.

I would advise against attaching anything other than a keyboard controller to the MIDI IN 2 port on an SC-55. While the manual suggests that, "It makes no difference which connector you use when making MIDI IN connections," this has not been my experience at all. On the SC-55 models, the main CPU directly services the MIDI IN 1 port, whereas MIDI IN 2 goes through a separate, serial-to-parallel conversion process first. For some reason, this additional process results in the off-behavior of dropped and/or ignored MIDI messages in a congested MIDI data stream, and consequently results in off-sounding playback. With the later SC-55mkII, the MIDI IN 1 and 2 ports are both serviced by a separate sub-CPU, and behave equal to each other.

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2016-11-03, 21:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 49, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

...apparently only the REAR MIDI IN on the SC55 actually passes through the "THRU" port?

That's correct. Roland didn't make this point clear until the release of SC-55mkII though, where it's actually mentioned in the manual.

I would advise against attaching anything other than a keyboard controller to the MIDI IN 2 port on an SC-55. While the manual suggests that, "It makes no difference which connector you use when making MIDI IN connections," this has not been my experience at all. On the SC-55 models, the main CPU services both input ports, but for reasons unknown, MIDI IN 2 is handled "differently" than MIDI IN 1, and exhibits the off-behavior of dropping and/or ignoring MIDI messages in a congested MIDI data stream, consequently resulting in off-sounding playback. With the later SC-55mkII, the MIDI IN 2 port is serviced by a separate sub-CPU, and functions exactly the same as the rear, MIDI IN 1 port.

I see, this is good to know!

That's too bad though... I was really hoping this would eliminate my need for a switch box. Before hooking up the SC-55 I was using a simple KVM switch with DIN keyboard connectors to switch from my DOS PC to my UM-ONE. This never gave me any problems, its just more of a mess. The one I use is almost identical to this, just slightly smaller. I've opened it and it just uses direct wire connections to the switch, so there doesn't seem to be anything that would mess with the MIDI signal.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 33 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ARISE THREAD.

So hey I could use some help, as I am having a weeeeeird problem. I just disconnected my MIDI units in order to clean out my PC, all my equipment, and the desk. I took pictures of how everything was connected to the MIDI units so I'd reconnect them properly.

Well, I THOUGHT I reconnected everything properly, however...no sound is coming out of the SC-55. All the sound is solely coming out of the MT-32, the SC-55 acts as if it's not getting any signal, but it must be because the MT-32, which is daisy-chained to the SC-55, is getting a signal.

I am baffled by this, so I'm wondering if anyone here might have a clue as to what's happening and can help me fix it. Thank you in advance.

Reply 34 of 49, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed it's odd that the MT-32 is getting a signal, if the SC-55 is first in the chain. I'd just go through some standard troubleshooting steps for starters:

- Remove the MT-32 from the picture
- Try a few different cables from the PC to the SC-55
- Try using the front port of the SC-55

I've seen numerous posts on Vogons where an SC-55 has stopped receiving MIDI on the rear due to dry solder joints where the port is connected to the PCB. You might have disturbed things just enough to uncover a problem.

Reply 35 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-01, 23:10:
Indeed it's odd that the MT-32 is getting a signal, if the SC-55 is first in the chain. I'd just go through some standard troubl […]
Show full quote

Indeed it's odd that the MT-32 is getting a signal, if the SC-55 is first in the chain. I'd just go through some standard troubleshooting steps for starters:

- Remove the MT-32 from the picture
- Try a few different cables from the PC to the SC-55
- Try using the front port of the SC-55

I've seen numerous posts on Vogons where an SC-55 has stopped receiving MIDI on the rear due to dry solder joints where the port is connected to the PCB. You might have disturbed things just enough to uncover a problem.

Great advice, thank you!

Reply 36 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-01, 23:10:

Try using the front port of the SC-55

Yup, this did it, the front port works okay. Sadly it seems now, if I use the front port, nothing goes to the MT-32, so I might just need to bite the bullet and get a new SC-55.

Reply 37 of 49, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't panic, it's likely a cheap/easy fix. If you're not equipped to attempt a reflow yourself, an electronics repairer will probably do it for cheap (or beer) if you make friends with them. It's a very quick job. Or as one person has reported, it might only be a matter of cleaning the connectors.

Real sound canvas 55 MK2 midi in problem

SC-55mkII with a dead MIDI port - looking to try to find the problem

Unrelated but this thread has important advice too:

Have you opened your SC-55 to check the battery inside?

In the meantime, you should be able to get both working together by putting the MT-32 first in the chain, using its MIDI THRU to connect the SC-55.

Reply 38 of 49, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-02, 00:44:
Don't panic, it's likely a cheap/easy fix. If you're not equipped to attempt a reflow yourself, an electronics repairer will pro […]
Show full quote

Don't panic, it's likely a cheap/easy fix. If you're not equipped to attempt a reflow yourself, an electronics repairer will probably do it for cheap (or beer) if you make friends with them. It's a very quick job. Or as one person has reported, it might only be a matter of cleaning the connectors.

Real sound canvas 55 MK2 midi in problem

SC-55mkII with a dead MIDI port - looking to try to find the problem

Unrelated but this thread has important advice too:

Have you opened your SC-55 to check the battery inside?

In the meantime, you should be able to get both working together by putting the MT-32 first in the chain, using its MIDI THRU to connect the SC-55.

Okay I'll look into getting it repaired and also using the pass through. Thank you!