VOGONS

First post, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the end of 2002, I spent my hard earned pounds on the best motherboard available in the UK: the Asus P4T533(R).

It uses 32-bit RDRAM, which only came in 256 MB strips, which meant that you maxed out on 512 MB with the two slots available. Although this reminded me of the ram bottleneck I experienced on i815's, I still went ahead with my purchase, eager to burn the cash on the first system that would really put me on top of the charts. Coupled with a Radeon 9700, which back then you could still get directly from Ati, it was a wonderful machine for the few months it lasted. The system was sold off, of course, since I needed to get back home, and the huge chieftec case didn't fit the car anymore. I don't want to think about what I lost on that setup (and less so on what I had to do to earn it), but you all know the way nostalgia works. 14 years later, I'm trying to resurrect that illustrious setup.

The P4T533R was not popular at all outside the pc magazines, so I'm wondering if some of you had experience with this board, or with another board that uses 32-bit 232-pins RDRAM (if another firm ever released one). Although I agree with most of you that Pentium 4's are as interesting as a dead fly, this setup does tickle me just for the sheer lunacy of 32-bit rdram.

Pictures will follow, once all the components are in and checked.

Reply 2 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would go with another board that has 4 slots, I got a rdram p3 smp build and rdram is so cheap now it is possible to get a 2GB kit for under $20 usd. I once had a dual socket 603 xeon build that could take up to like 4gb of rdram but sadly lost the rig in a fire.

You might get lucky with a lot auction and get a Lot of it pretty cheaply if you look around on eBay.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 6, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if the Abit SI-7 accepts sticks of 1GB -PC4200, I don't think Samsung ever had them in production. The "normal' 16-bit RDRam sticks are found quite easily, although on ebay the price is about € 10 per GB, a price I'm willing to spend, seen that they will become more difficult to find as time goes by. In the 32-bit flavour, I only found 256 sticks, at € 15 per piece...
Anyone ever seen the SI-7 in real life?

Reply 4 of 6, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The build has to become the "ultimate" 2002 machine, just before the advent of the 800FSB PIV's and the disappearance of RDRam from the mainstream PC-business.

I've got both the P4T533-C and the P4T533. Both boards still need testing, before I can decide which to go with.

Next week, I'll get the 1GB PC-800 sticks and 2*256MB PC-1066 32-bit I ordered from Ebay. I've got a few P4's to test the boards with, I'll start with the "old" 400 FSB Willamete for compatibility testing, up to the 3.06 Ghz Northwood. I remember running a 1.8A at 2.4 speeds 24/7 stable on the P4T533.

Anyone of you have experience in overclocking PC-800 up to PC-1066 standards?

This is the rig I aim to build:

Mainboard: Asus P4T533-C or P4T533
RAM: 4GB Rimm 16bit or 512MB rimm 32-bit
CPU: eventually a P4 3.06 (SL6PG
Graphics: Ati 9700 Pro on AGP
Sound: onboard?
Disk: still undecided
Case: Still undecided

Suggestions for this rig are welcome and appreciated.

Reply 5 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any overclocking experience with this ram but it gets be roiling hot at stock clocks so a adding a fan to blow on the ram will certainly help. THG might have done some reviews where they may have overclocked this ram.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 6, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2016-06-16, 07:41:

....or with another board that uses 32-bit 232-pins RDRAM (if another firm ever released one).

Just stumbeld upon 😀

Big Rambus Fan here - but still missing the P4T533. [but it is mail ^^]
Back then I rather used Dual Socket 603 Xeon MP mit 4Gb PC800 RD-Ram - they are quite cheap now and more or less easy to get, depending on which one you want.

For the 32-Bit Modules - the 512MB do exist and i remember back then beeing able to order them...for a price which made it basically impossible to afford...

not that Rambus was already expansive enough...(through the roof)
The 1066er went trough the sky
The 1066er 32 Bit went close to moon
..and the 512er MB 32 bit PC1066 were bascially a moon price in saturns orbit...

So bascially noone bought them, barely ?! ever ?! so i guess those 7 Modules sold are lost in time...

And there is 2nd 32 Bit Rambus Board, Epox 4T4A+ - the only 2 Boards in existance - but has often cap problems, need to be replaced.
Not that the P4T533 was often instable too.

Did OC Rambus here and there a bit, not that there even existed some OCZ PC1200 16 Bit Rambus Modules - but nowadays, with those old machine id rather not - They were already hot and build at the limits - I remember people modding the Voltage-stuff on Boards, welding new ones in etc, to do it more stable.

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/asus-p … 0759555-225-543
One P4T533 for sale, Germany, actually quite close to my place - and he had the Epox 4T4A+ for sale too, but seems already gone