VOGONS

Pentium II/III VS K6-III+

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 90, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jazz and Bash work for me with no issues on a K6-2. Lotus does not work, and I have not tested the others.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 43 of 90, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you are wrong on both counts, but I will have to check again. Maybe this weekend. Maybe I am just wrong on how fast Jazz is supposed to be? But it felt the same on the raw hardware as on DOSBox.

What K6 system have you tried it on?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 44 of 90, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

K6-III+ 133/400 (66FSB) on Tyan S1590. Btw. every Board has Problems to determine the correct Temperture.
The CPU is quite cool on 133 but the bios freezes the PC because the board thinks the cpu is over 80 degrees.
Other boards behave the same (TX3) the temperature is always wrong.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 45 of 90, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

I think you are wrong on both counts, but I will have to check again.

K6-3 on same frequency is a little faster than your K6-2, so results may differ. Besides video and chipset.

According to that Dyna Blaster should to work good on K6-3+ 133 MHz with chache1-off, cach2-on.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 46 of 90, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:
critical games: - BodyBlows - JazzJackRabbit - MonsterBash (Intro) - TowerAssault - Turrican - LotusTurboChallange - DynaBlaster […]
Show full quote

critical games:
- BodyBlows
- JazzJackRabbit
- MonsterBash (Intro)
- TowerAssault
- Turrican
- LotusTurboChallange
- DynaBlaster

I've tested with my K6-2 (@167, L1 cache off or L1+L2 cache off).

BodyBlows - no Issue, works well!!
JazzJackRabbit - no Issue, works well!!
MonsterBash (Intro) - no Issue, works well!!
TowerAssault - no Issue, works well!!
- Turrican - Do you mean part 2? As i know, part one is only available at C64, Amiga, Atari and some other platforms but not PC. Have not tested part2 until now.
LotusTurboChallange - has Issue!
DynaBlaster - no Issue, works well!!

From my point of view, really a lot of games will run fine on these platforms, K6-2 or K6-3. In case, you have some issues, you can also try DOSbox, or as last alternative you can build a 386 and/or 486 setup...

dr.zeissler wrote:
THAT! is usable, but does not work very good. some games show the tp-bug even with 133mhz! If i disable the cache these games st […]
Show full quote

THAT! is usable, but does not work very good. some games show the tp-bug even with 133mhz!
If i disable the cache these games start but are WAY to slow.

you are right if I am changing the bios before starting the machine for each different game it will work quite good, but this is not usable
and therefore a no-go for me.

Maybe it's not usable for everybody, but i have no problem with changing the settings (L1 and L2 cache) for every game. A reboot, following a fast change in BIOS is normal and usable for me.
Well, changing the jumpers for different clocks, this is not as usable as changing BIOS options, cause you have to open case and overall it takes more time. If you really want to change multiplier more often, the +' CPUs are the recommended.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 50 of 90, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are tools that allow to switch caches on and off on the fly, just by running it from the command line. Works well for CPUs in the range from 486 up to Pentium III (also K5,K6... etc.)
No reboot required at all.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 52 of 90, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, AFAIK there is no software solution that can control the motherboard cache.

Still, I don't see it as much of an issue to reboot the machine.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 53 of 90, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yes, AFAIK there is no software solution that can control the motherboard cache.

shouldnt it be possible to see what the bios does when you turn cache off and just redo that in plain dos? should be kinda possibiru

Reply 54 of 90, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

My batches are "cpucache off" game "cpucache on" but this only disables enables the level1? cache, not all caches, right?

If you're that much against rebooting, and looking for speed sensitive control, then you should look into compatible boards that can use something like SMB from Rayer (controls FSB from the command line), and a VIA C3 Ezra-T (use SetMul from the command line to change multi, ICD, BPD etc. ). This setup has a smoother CPU range, and there isn't a need to disable motherboard cache.

Reply 55 of 90, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

I know that they work with disabling the caches and rebooting, but I don't like that.

You said this: "If i disable the cache these games start but are WAY to slow."
Now you say there was no such problem.

If there are other people with K6-3+ CPU, would be good if they'd confirmed that games listed by dr.zeissler above work ok and with which settings. Lotus Turbo Challenge is the only from his list with known issues still.

If someone met other games not working correctly, would be nice to list them here.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 56 of 90, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrau wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

shouldnt it be possible to see what the bios does when you turn cache off and just redo that in plain dos? should be kinda possibiru

That would be cool. I just think if it's possible someone would have already done it? And without rebooting? That might be the challenge here.

Reply 57 of 90, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One point is that disabling just L2 changes the speed only marginally regarding to DOS stuff. L1 has much higher impact and this means it is also more useful. So the tunability by switching L2 is somewhat limited.

Another option however is throttle.com that uses power management features in certain chipsets to slow down speed. As it uses hardware functions it is totally smooth as well as no TSR eating up memory. If one has a supported chipset throttle is always worth a try.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 58 of 90, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very true, the internal CPU cache has a large impact. At least on the socket 7 platform, the L2 cache is still quite useful, letting you toggle between 386 and 486 type performance.

Reply 59 of 90, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry no tests with the 2 Ultra, it artifacts in any 3d game. I can test with my Banshee though, or maybe go way overkill and test with an FX5900XT?