VOGONS

Reworking a DS12B887 Clock Chip

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 45, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So there is more ways than one to skin a cat. I'm glad we got that one sorted.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 41 of 45, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote:

I have the tools and ability to desolder DIPs from multilayer boards without a meaningful chance of damage. If you don't, perhaps consider git gud

I have no idea what that is. What I do have is over 40 years experience in designing, building, repairing, and reworking electronics.

It's not the aesthetics of grafting a battery on to the thing that bother me, it's the mechanical fragility.

Huh? What's fragile? Epoxying plastic to plastic? Solder? What else is there?

Reply 42 of 45, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you did the mod with super short wires and epoxied the battery holder directly to the RTC chip, I wouldn't find it too objectionable.

That said most of the jobs I've seen pictures of are way more hacky, with long snag hazard wires and an unsecured battery/holder

Reply 43 of 45, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is this stuff called double sided tape. Very clean and very tidy. Once the lid is closed no can see how hacky or not a RTC mod is. As for mechanical fragility there is basically none. Personally I prefer the socket method though.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 44 of 45, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote:

If you did the mod with super short wires and epoxied the battery holder directly to the RTC chip, I wouldn't find it too objectionable.

But I did... the wire is no longer than it needs to be, and the holder is epoxied directly onto the RTC chip body.

You seem desperate to find something to complain about.

Reply 45 of 45, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
precaud wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

But I did... the wire is no longer than it needs to be, and the holder is epoxied directly onto the RTC chip body.

You seem desperate to find something to complain about.

I just now for the first time clicked your linked thread and looked at your mod, it looks OK. I still think socketing the chip is a better investment of time. Not sure why you are taking this personally, there are plenty of other people who have chopped up the Dallas chips to much less favorable outcomes.

Part of my issue with any of the Dallas RTC mods is the exposed battery. In my mind an original Dallas chip in a socket is superior to any other RTC battery solution, OEM or otherwise, because in the admittedly extremely unlikely scenario where a lithium primary leaks, it's completely contained. Additionally exposed battery terminals invite another potential point of contact for a short, if the battery holder is unsecured or secured with failure prone adhesive.

Having the battery directly attached to the board and inside an unitized and essentially impregnable container is what I consider to be maximum reliability. No shitty adhesives to fail, no shitty Velcro to fail, no shitty goo to leak out, no shitty box to flop around. Anything else is a downgrade