VOGONS

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I'm having some issues finding a working driver for this chipset for Windows 98.

Basically, as some of you might know, I built a PC based on a PCChips M754LMR+ motherboard, which uses the nVidia Aladdin TNT2 as graphical chipset (it lacks an AGP slot, unfortunately, that's the only thing I regret of this motherboard, but I love it for the ISA slot, thus allowing me to use my AWE32 sound card in Windows 98, without encountering issues with PCI sound cards like my CT4750 in my Asus A8V-XE Windows 98 machine).

I downloaded the drivers for it and this morning I tried to install them, the installation went through, I restarted, but nothing happened... there are still 16 colors, no gradient in the title bars and the cursor still moves "laggy" (well, after you install graphics card drivers in Windows 98 the cursor becomes all smooth, you know)... are there some working TNT2 drivers for this chipset ? Because I think that the ones I downloaded are for the nVidia RIVA TNT2, which I think it's an actual graphics card and not a chipset.

In the devices manager, the "graphics card" shows as a Generic PCI VGA adapter, not even AGP (during the boot it shows as an AGP VGA)...

That's the mobo: 56e561e19f2f56394aeb0200.jpg

Yeah, I must be crazy to build a Windows 98 machine on an Intel Celeron Coppermine, but so far that's what I got, until I get the Pentium 4 mobo to stop glitching the graphics cards...

Ah, I'm dual booting with DR DOS 7.03.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RIVA TNT2 is the full name of the chip, Everyone just shortens it to TNT2, so don't worry about that.
Had a bit of a look around and your not the first to have this problem, Its annoying but standard Nvidia drivers wont work 🙁
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?6 … h-M754LMR-video
Looks like GFXPro is what you are after, but quick look couldn't find anything, but it WAS a quick look.

PS
Think the CPU choice is fine for a 9x build!

Reply 2 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everest calls it "nVidia ALi Aladdin TNT2", not "RIVA", that's what confused me...

Are GFXPro the drivers I need to download or is it some graphics card model that uses the correct drivers for this chipset ? I'm confused... I wish I could find the CD of that motherboard 😢

EDIT: Nice, I can't find a download for these GFXPro drivers anywhere, if someone has them, please upload as an attachment 😢

Most important ones:

Reply 4 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I already did and downloaded some "AGP drivers" for m1631, but they did nothing.

Most important ones:

Reply 5 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, GFXPro is just the name of the drivers but I couldn't find them either.
It's a hard decision TNT 2 isn't anything special for Win98. Normally I would say just get a better video card anyway.
But without an AGP slot your choices are limited.
This lists some PCI options (You'll have to skip past the AGP cards)
Fastest AGP and PCI video cards with Win98SE support

Reply 6 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only PCI graphics card I have is an S3 Virge... but it's kinda lame, I don't even have the 4 memory banks that go in the brown slots in it...

We must find those GFXPro drivers somehow... the only chance is someone that still has the CD can make an iso or something and upload in the vogons drivers library :\

Most important ones:

Reply 7 of 19, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you check the Device ID and Vendor ID of that chipset?

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 8 of 19, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload- … =us&type=Legacy

It says, right on the page that it supports the Alladin TNT2! Did you try this particular one?

Err, if you navigate to Legacy and select TNT2 and Windows 98 as an OS, it says it supports Alladin TNT2.

Reply 9 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's exactly the one I tried...

Here's the log from Everest, it's mostly in Italian, but whatever, the names and a lot of important info is in English anyway.

I could make a second report in English if you'd still want anyway...

Apparently I remembered badly... it did say nVidia RIVA TNT2, but still whatever, the drivers didn't work anyway even though they said RIVA TNT2.

Most important ones:

Reply 10 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found these drivers, are they ?

They look different from the ones I downloaded previously:

0145857906df4b53b35d8aa8dd98c254.png

(double checking that I'm not downloading the same drivers which didn't work...)

Most important ones:

Reply 11 of 19, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try them, you can also try these:
http://download.driverguide.com/driver/NVIDIA … MAX/d32621.html

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 12 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I downloaded these ones aswell.

I'll probably can try them all after the 27th (high school exams), I'll then tell what happened, if they worked, if didn't and which one worked (IF one of them worked), for future reference in case someone else needs the drivers for this chipset.

Logistics wrote:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload- … =us&type=Legacy

It says, right on the page that it supports the Alladin TNT2! Did you try this particular one?

Err, if you navigate to Legacy and select TNT2 and Windows 98 as an OS, it says it supports Alladin TNT2.

Ah, I almost forgot... the download link over there is dead, Logistics. 🤣

Most important ones:

Reply 13 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I got the drivers to work.

I used the drivers from the third download (the ones suggested by adalbert) and they worked.
The second ones I downloaded, well, there wasn't any installer, just a settings manager program...

I installed them (Adalbert's drivers) from the setup.exe in the folder and I chose "nVidia Aladdin TNT2", then I rebooted and nothing changed, so I went in "Device Manager", right clicked the "Generic PCI device" from the graphics card, went in properties, drivers and then "Update driver", then I chose "browse from a folder" when it asks where to look for the driver and I selected the folder where those drivers were in my pendrive, finally it asked for the CD, I just clicked ok and browsed to that folder again so it could find the "agpXXX.exe" file, it installed them again, rebooted and detected the graphics card as nVidia Aladdin TNT2 instead of Generic PCI device.

Now I have up to 16bit WITH THE HANDSOME WINDOWS 98 GRADIENTS in the title bar, but the cursor is still quite laggy... hmmm what could that be ? I haven't tried any Windows 98 3D game (like Re-Volt or Quake 3 Arena) yet.

Most important ones:

Reply 14 of 19, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're ever willing to spend any kind of money to boost that system up, I read that you can get a Voodoo3 PCI card that does 2D/3D just fine, in fact it's supposed to be in 3D games about as fast as 2x 8MB Voodoo2 cards in SLI, but I can't say any of that from experience, just what I've read up on in the last few months. Back in the Windows 98 days, a lot of the "AGP" cards didn't bother even using the AGP bus except as a faster data path (66MHz for AGP instead of the standard 33MHz PCI bus). It was like they just stuck the PCI version on an AGP board and said Yay. Now we can sell it as AGP and get market share, since "AGP" is the new catch-all term for good stuff, right?

About the laggy mouse cursor....you got me.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 15 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FFXIhealer wrote:

About the laggy mouse cursor....you got me.

What do you mean ? 😐

Most important ones:

Reply 16 of 19, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mean, I have no idea what could cause that on a machine that's easily got enough processing power to make it smooth, but doesn't. My first guess would be to look for running background programs, but that's because I ALWAYS look for running background programs on a computer if someone is having issues.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 17 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does that since Windows starts, when there are no background programs at all... must be some other missing driver I am not acknowledged of...

Most important ones:

Reply 18 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing you have tried the simple fix of changing the speed in control panel?
is it a PS2, USB or USB plugged into a USB to PS2 adaptor?
If its a PS2 mouse it should just work.
If its a USB mouse maybe maybe installing the Logitech, MS Intellipoint, whatever software will work better?
If your using an adaptor maybe the mouse doesn't work properly with it. I've had it where a mouse wont work at all, but maybe others just 1/2 work so to speak.

You could try booting into real dos, loading a mouse driver and a DOS game that uses a mouse. and see how it goes. Warcraft has a shareware copy and pretty easy to get going off the top of my head.

Reply 19 of 19, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a native PS2 optical mouse, in Windows 3.11 and DOS games it works perfect, it just looks "choppy" in Windows 98 instead of being all smooth and good like in my OTHER, famous, Project 98 machine.

It must be either the CPU not powerful enough or the SDRAM.

Most important ones: