VOGONS

First post, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For at least 10 years my best friend is recalling the days we spent on Command & Conquer, being frustrated at our mid-90's computers being too slow to build the vast armies we needed to crush each other. Remember the iffy null-modem connection...

So to surprise my friend, and to counter the bouts of midlife crises which are hitting our generation, I'd like to build at least two rigs to run all "classic" iterations of C&C smoothly over LAN.

Classic in my opinion is up to C&C Generals Zero Hour (2003). Any recommandations or things I should keep in mind for these builds? The hardware specs should not be more recent than late 2003.

Reply 2 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly if you want to cover all of them do this

Athlon XP 32000/Pentium 4 3.2
2gb Ram
Radeon 9800Pro
Windows XP SP2

Now install IPX this is required for CnC, RA, CnC:TS, CnC:RA2

And have fun`

Reply 3 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:
C&C 1: Pentium 233 MMX with NE2000 UTP or BNC (IPX/SPX). MS-DOS. Red Alert 1: same. Windows 9X. Any NIC with IPX/SPX. Red Alert […]
Show full quote

C&C 1: Pentium 233 MMX with NE2000 UTP or BNC (IPX/SPX). MS-DOS.
Red Alert 1: same. Windows 9X. Any NIC with IPX/SPX.
Red Alert 2: Pentium III 800. Windows XP. Any NIC with IPX/SPX.
C&C G: Pentium IV 3GHZ. Windows XP. Any NIC with TCP/IP.

I play Red Alert 2 with up to 5 friends at least annually in a retro LAN at a friend's house in NL.

The games will still crash when you get too many units: important to regularly destroy buildings / units in long games. More RAM does not help: the game still goes out of sync.

Its the CPU, everyone needs a very beefy CPU. I've brought RA2 crashing down on much newer system than a Pentium3 by just building 400 Harriers. I bogged down and crashed a Core2 Duo E8400 @ 4ghz. RA2 really needs a great CPU to really have fun and keep it all in sync.

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your more about the game rather then playing on period correct hardware I'd recommend getting
a couple of closely matched P4's (casue they are dirt cheap) or better running WinXP and playing C&C the 1st decade with the unofficial patch
http://www.cncnz.com/hosted-projects/command- … nofficial-patch.

We had all sorts of sync issues when playing Dos C&C or RA with a 486 and PII back in the day. so am thinking similar CPU's suffer the slow downs at roughly the same time to help reduce the dreaded out of sync issue.

Benefit of The 1st decade is you get the games fully patched and up to date (relatively speaking) and on a much more stable OS

Reply 6 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly id go for the Origin CNC Ultimate collection, they are all fully patched for Windows 7 and modern machines

Reply 7 of 7, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There also exists https://cncnet.org/. This lets you play those classic CnC games online with friends or strangers. It worked great on Yuri's Revenge when I tried it with a friend. It also lets you increase the resolution of the games freely to whatever you want.

8zszli-6.png