VOGONS

Largest IDE hard drives

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the first time I've ever seen a 1TB IDE drive. Assuming it's legit, then I wonder if it would fit the spacing of the connectors in a PS2.
I have a 750GB Seagate which fits a PS2 but I don't think it would live long in there because of heat. But a Green drive could work well in such a thing, if it didn't cost so much.

Reply 21 of 47, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

Those large parallel ATA drives are actually bridged SATA drives. The board should have a bridge chip on it. True parallel ATA drives likely didn't see much past 250-300GB in size. Western Digital kept an 80GB PATA drive in production for a long time, likely for compatibility applications. True PATA interface plus under the 28-bit LBA limit for size. That drive might have had the 8.4GB limit jumper on it too.

EDIT: That WD Green 1TB drive is likely a fake. WD never made them with PATA interfaces, buyer beware.

If there’s a bridge chip, I wonder if you could modify a large capacity SATA drive to be an IDE as long as the drives' metal casing is the same.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 22 of 47, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I literally have a PILE of 320gb sata drives with ide/sata converters. They work just fine in everything i've ever used. Bios limits notwithstanding, they worked fine even on 386 machines. It was slightly humorous to see the bios limit the drive to 8gb, but still, it worked. It surprises me to see >500gb ide drives. I was always under the impression they abruptly stopped at 500gb.

There is no real reason to make ide drives anymore.

Also, speaking of cheap converters, the ones I have, the power connectors are BACKWARDS from what would seem logical. I've fried TWO drives and adapters doing this.

I don't know about using significantly larger drives in ancient systems like a 386. I remember my K6-2 333 IBM Aptiva would not boot with a 32GB sized Pata drive and in another story I put a 1TB Sata drive in a 2003-ish Emachine with a socket 754 Sempron and it would freeze on the bios logo screen too. I don't know how you make it work, other than updating the Bios.

Reply 23 of 47, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well then again I just read a bit about the Seatools app that can "trick" the Bios to see a lower disk capacity. That is cool. I ought to check it out for myself. Thanks.

Reply 24 of 47, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

If there’s a bridge chip, I wonder if you could modify a large capacity SATA drive to be an IDE as long as the drives' metal casing is the same.

Western Digital has quite a problem with counterfeit products using their name. Its more commonly found with their external drive products, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone is trying it with their internal drives as well. That image appears to be a Photoshop special. Note the drive label still says its a SATA drive.

https://community.wd.com/t/is-this-a-genuine- … -wd-drive/14571

Reply 25 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
NJRoadfan wrote:

That WD Green 1TB drive is likely a fake. WD never made them with PATA interfaces, buyer beware.

I seen a lot of PATA green ware I live to know this is not true. Not saying this one is not fake. it probably is now that I take a seond look at it, that or just a sata hdd with a pata controller witch can work with some hacking.

I do know that PATA greens are real. They were more of a regional thing. But his is the first one I seen that was a second gen green or newer.

Reply 26 of 47, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems like the effort it takes to fake hard drives would make it difficult to be a profitable scam.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 27 of 47, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Biggest IDE drive that I know of is this 750GB Seagate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRXbKzvqRwY

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 28 of 47, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

Well then again I just read a bit about the Seatools app that can "trick" the Bios to see a lower disk capacity. That is cool. I ought to check it out for myself. Thanks.

Yeah....
It's an old trick that are widespread.
I have done it on a couple of 250gb drives in the past.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 29 of 47, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I do know that PATA greens are real. They were more of a regional thing. But his is the first one I seen that was a second gen green or newer.

WD never made Green drives with PATA interfaces, only Caviar Blue (max size 500GB). Depending on where "here" is, you might have a problem with counterfeit items. Countless factories in China can crank out some very convincing copies of things these days.

Reply 30 of 47, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Admittedly uncommon, but one potential situation in which a SATA drive with a PATA adapter simply will not work is that where a drive with a converter won't physically fit in the drive bay. I encountered this exact problem with a security camera DVR at work. The way this particular DVR was designed also made using a 2.5in drive in a mounting bracket infeasible. So, there is the occasional situation where pure PATA is the only viable solution.

Reply 32 of 47, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
NJRoadfan wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

WD never made Green drives with PATA interfaces, only Caviar Blue (max size 500GB). Depending on where "here" is, you might have a problem with counterfeit items. Countless factories in China can crank out some very convincing copies of things these days.

Frist gen green were sold with pata they were not sold as retail hdd's, I only seen them come out of OEM systems here in the states.

Reply 33 of 47, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The largest IDE hard drive is the one on the far left. 😉

bigfoot.jpg
Filename
bigfoot.jpg
File size
470.95 KiB
Views
File comment
Quantum Bigfoot
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34 of 47, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

The largest IDE hard drive is the one on the far left. 😉

bigfoot.jpg

🤣 🤣 🤣

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 35 of 47, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, should i feel guilty for using a 500GB IDE on a board which supports Sata? :0

Because now that i've read this thread i kind of do.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 36 of 47, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it's SATA1, then no.
If it's SATA2/3 then kinda guilty...but at least no paying for a SATA patch for 98SE...unless the mobo has sata drivers for 98SE like ASRock ones 😀

But who doesn't like those "pretty" IDE cables?

As for the topic, 750GB is the maximum...any bigger is probably fake or from an no-name company with zero guaranty that it won't blow your house after few years of use...

Reply 37 of 47, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrMateczko wrote:

If it's SATA1, then no.
If it's SATA2/3 then kinda guilty...but at least no paying for a SATA patch for 98SE...unless the mobo has sata drivers for 98SE like ASRock ones 😀

But who doesn't like those "pretty" IDE cables?

It's some Asus sk754 motherboard so i'm almost positive it's Sata1.

I rarely come across with anything IDE with more than 200GB, only if it's recovered from some old surveillance DVR unit, but often those drives are already quite beaten. I also have a 250GB IDE hard drive that came from such unit with more than 61000 hours of use, and ZERO reallocated sectors...incredible.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 38 of 47, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick6 wrote:

I also have a 250GB IDE hard drive that came from such unit with more than 61000 hours of use, and ZERO reallocated sectors...incredible.

That's really impressive. A gem of a drive. Just run DiskFresh or SpinRite on it a couple of times a year and it will probably last forever. That is my secret to keeping hard drives from going bad. I have a ton of very old drives, some in use, some out of service. I try to SpinRite or DiskFresh them on a schedule (once or twice a year for drives out of service, more frequently for drives in service) and never had a drive develop bad sectors that's gone through this regiment.

Reply 39 of 47, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had a Samsung 300GB (sold for a acquaintance that kept asking me for selling it so he could stuff it into his Xbox) and still have a Seagate 400GB. Didn't know there were IDE drives larger than 400GB.

Last edited by Snayperskaya on 2016-06-30, 22:44. Edited 1 time in total.