VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As many of you probably know, the PC Chips M919 v3.4B/F board implements an automatic 2/3 FSB-to-PCI multiplier when running the FSB at 40 MHz. This may also be true of earlier board revisions, e.g. v3.2 and earlier. Has anybody figured out how to prevent this from occurring? I am considering looking into this.

Unfortunately, this board uses the AMI BIOS, so even if we modify the BIOS to prevent this, there is the issue with correcting the checksum, which others here have reported problems with. Maybe there is something in AMISETUP or CTCHIP34 which can correct for this? Maybe there is a hardware-based, solder-on approach to prevent this from happening, perhaps by hard wiring (thereby bypassing the BIOS) the FSB clock to the PCI clock? Unfortunately, the latter would prevent the automatic 2/3 multiplier option from occurring when using a 50 MHz FSB, however perhaps the hardware mod could have a jumper that enables the bypass and re-enables it.

I am not sure where the 2/3 multiplication takes place - in the BIOS chip itself, or routed from the BIOS to the chipset. I do not believe the multiplication occurs on the PLL chip, like it does on SiS496-based boards. On SiS496-based boards, there is a PCI multiplier ("divisor") jumper which can be traced to the PLL clock generator chip.

Ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 2, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember hearing about a "hot toggle" ages ago - literally a mechanical switch connected over one of the speed jumpers. You boot at 33 MHz (or whatever), flip the switch and you're running a full 40 MHz. I don't remember the specifics of how to do it but I can't *imagine* it would be good for the board in the long run.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 2, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you for this suggestion. Now that you mentioned, I also recall such a recommendation some years ago. There is only a one jumper difference between 33 and 40 MHz, so it would be a cinch to plug in a latching switch, e.g. the turbo switch, to this jumper. I was thinking of something which requires less human intervention and more permanent, but I think I will start with the switch and move on from there.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.