VOGONS

Pata vs Sata1 speeds

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decent access times too (not crazy about that dip in transfer rates at 20% though).

hdtune.JPG
Filename
hdtune.JPG
File size
57.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 21 of 22, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:
That 600GB model reviewed has 200GB platters. My Velociraptor has 250GB platters with corresponding faster transfer rates: […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

There's not much in it. You're right in an absolute sense, but it's not like the interface would shave much off the top.
http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_ … ciraptor_review

That 600GB model reviewed has 200GB platters. My Velociraptor has 250GB platters with corresponding faster transfer rates:

velociraptor.png

Results are in WinXP on a D946GZIS with SATA2 (300MB/sec) interface.

The HHTZ (at least the 1TB version) is a SATA3 part. I suspect your 500GB drive is as well. The OP only asserted that SATA2 era mechanical drives wouldn't saturate ATA133 (which I agree was disproven in the case of the Gen1 Velociraptor).

Is there really a reason to care, though? After all, performance will be paced by the SATA->PATA adapter. Even at reduced performance due to the adapter, a modern inexpensive drive will be much faster than an era appropriate drive.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 22, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Some nForce2 southbridges like MCP-S did support SATA (Remember nForce2 had 5 different southbridge variants which only 3 variants had SATA controllers). I did research on that when i made the list. You can find nForce 2 boards with SATA ports provied by the southbridge like the Gigabyte GA-7N400S. The original nForce 4 and the 4X varaint had only SATA 150 support. All other and newer nForce 4 variants featured SATA II

Interesting - I never heard of SATA southbridges on the nForce2 before, but I see now that you're right. Apparently that's even what the "-S" stands for, I was mixing up "MCP-S" with the MCP-T.

I remember trying a NAS benchmark with an nForce2 board and getting pretty lackluster results thanks to both SATA and Gigabit ethernet being on PCI. That MCP-S southbridge would have solved half of that problem at least.