VOGONS

File sharing from w10 to w98se

Topic actions

First post, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Having big issues with bsod when opening a folder im sharing between computers. My 98se rig keep bsod when i open said folder.

Nic is a realtek rt 8029as. Updated drivers and everything.

Reply 1 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There could be any number of problems, including those related to firewalls and security. It's definitely not supposed to BSOD. (Does the BSOD contain any useful information?) The obvious starting point is to make sure you have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your Windows 10 computer, though you may want to keep in mind that was recently reported as having serious security flaws.

You might want to start by booting a live Linux distribution from a CD or a USB drive, and making sure that can connect to your Windows 10 computer, just for troubleshooting purposes. If you can't get that to work, then there's definitely no point in trying to get Windows to cooperate.

I would suggest forgetting about Windows Networking entirely and use something like smallftpd (and an FTP client) instead.

Reply 2 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a separate computer as a file server, using windows 2003 server. it works perfectly for all file sharing needs. 2003 is still compatible with EVERYTHING including dos, even macintosh. it makes good use of my dual p4 xeons. Its the way I go, and it works for me.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 20, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did file sharing on my Win98FE box by sharing out a D: folder. I can open it and drop stuff into it from Windows 10, but I can't open or see any Windows 10 folders from Win98. Dunno.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, it gets a LOT of traffic, thanks to bit-torrent. It also has other functions, such as print, web, boot, encrypted storage, router. So it may not use 100% of 2x 3.8ghz xeons, but it is constantly working.

Reply 6 of 20, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

(Does the BSOD contain any useful information?)

Yes it does.

Fatal exception oe has occurred at 0028:c02c3b0b in vxd vredir(03) 00002beb

At 16bf:014775b6 app will be terminated.

At 167:bff9e0b7 ap will be terminated.

Explorer caused a general protection fault.
In module krnl386.exe at 0001:000075a2

At that point it locks up and im forced to hard reset. Only when i open the folder im sharing. This happens.

Reply 8 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 98 does not like some file character names. For example ALT+255 shows up as a blank space in win98, but the file system cannot access it. Dos can, strangely. Check the file names.

Reply 9 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is your Windows 98 installation up to date? Do you have the Unicode update?

A little Googling suggests that vredir.vxd is related to local caching, so maybe you should try scandisk or disk defragmenter, if you don't do that regularly.

Reply 10 of 20, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Well, it gets a LOT of traffic, thanks to bit-torrent. It also has other functions, such as print, web, boot, encrypted storage, router. So it may not use 100% of 2x 3.8ghz xeons, but it is constantly working.

Are those 110 watt processors? If so, that thing has to add a bit on to the electric bill. 😮

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 20, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YEP. They do a bit. www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon% ... 00FA).html

Electricity is cheap where i live, so its a non-issue for me.

Reply 15 of 20, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I just checked my Win98FE box for network settings. I have "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" installed, as well as "TCP/IP -> NETWORK ADAPTER" set with a static IP and gateway IP and everything else to get it talking on my home network. BOTH of my PCs (Windows 10 and Windows 98 FE) are in the same Workgroup (namely, WORKGROUP). From there, I shared out the folder with Share level permissions. Windows 10 was able to see the PC on the network at that point and open the share folder. I can then drop files into it at 100Mbps network speeds (since the PCI card I have in Win98 is only 10/100).

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 17 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
greasemonkey90s wrote:

File sharing is working only from the main rig to the win98se pc only. If open threw the old rig its bsod city. So something is better then nothing.

This is not clear. Is "the win98se pc" the same as "the old rig" ?

Reply 18 of 20, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
greasemonkey90s wrote:

File sharing is working only from the main rig to the win98se pc only. If open threw the old rig its bsod city. So something is better then nothing.

This is not clear. Is "the win98se pc" the same as "the old rig" ?

Correct